UK Politics

barry_mckay2.gif

From today, I got this takeaway (so far) ... is not the problem that there is not really anything that commands a majority. It seems like no deal,, a 3rd vote on the current deal, or delay for an election are the realistic options?

The so-called indicative votes are set to take place on Wednesday.

MPs will be able to vote on a series of options - likely to include a "softer Brexit" and another referendum - designed to test the will of Parliament to see what, if anything, commands a majority

Parliament has wrested control of the debate from the government. I do not believe anything like this has happened in living memory.

I got this takeaway (so far) ... is not the problem that there is not really anything that commands a majority.
The government has not previously made any effort to find out what there is a majority for - except rejecting the PM's deal, rejecting No Deal and extending exiting process. We know what Parliament doesn't want but not what it wants. On Wednesday Parliament will have the opportunity to debate and vote on alternative options and we will know which alternative options, if any, command a majority in the house. Whether or not the PM takes Parliament's wishes into account is another matter.

It's all on the table people. The cabaret tour continues and can take unexpected turns, as opposed to some band cabaret.

The government has not previously made any effort to find out what there is a majority for - except rejecting the PM's deal, rejecting No Deal and extending exiting process. We know what Parliament doesn't want but not what it wants. On Wednesday Parliament will have the opportunity to debate and vote on alternative options and we will know which alternative options, if any, command a majority in the house. Whether or not the PM takes Parliament's wishes into account is another matter.

Thanks, that is what I thought. I get the we know what they do not want, but from what I have read, there does not seem to be a majority for what they do want (with what they do want being something that the EU would accept as well).

Plus EU.

005e646e387d9abf09503a3343a0ed3250e02309.gif

3cae5a7add4f995327294ef0e36ebebbd8f188e9.gif

When you voted for Brexit and you realise that after nearly 3 years the UK is in a mess and is laughing stock worldwide thanks to the bunch of tits in charge. :lol:

The whole thing is a disgraceful soap opera. Was it that difficult to have a cross party working group to come up with a consensus position to begin with at the start of the negotiation with the EU? Theresa May's hubris has made things much more complicated than they should have been. Worst PM in living memory?

Last edited:
Nah, David Cameron has that distinction for calling the damn thing and then dropping the bag after.

I would say it is a draw between Cameron and May, and not just for Brexit. The former (in close collaboration with Nick Clegg, the guy who among other things saw his fascist father-in-law as a role model for his children) is also responsible for the austerity measures that have certainly contributed to the current situation, while the latter's hostile environment when she was Home (Office) secretary created a toxic environment that has poisoned debate and contributed to the rise of populism.

Are you judging them on full careers or only on their premierships? That changes the way rankings are done.

Good question. Mostly on their work as PMs. Theresa May has basically done fuck all as PM as Brexit has dominated everything.
Yes, that is true. If there ever was a single issue PM (other than, say, Churchill's first premiership) then May's is it.

Catching up on this thing the main headlines are:

About 1 TRILLION pounds are leaving the UK for the EU mainland as businesses shift.
Theresa May is effectively gone and is leader in name only.
About 1M Europeans living/working in the UK will be in legal limbo if they stay once BREXIT finally hits.

Back