UK Politics

Seven MPs have left the Labour Party in protest against Jeremy Corbyn's leadership. This is partially due to his dithering stance on Brexit.

Get the popcorn ready.

I get (partly) where they're coming from, he's fiddling more than Nero, but I can see this just splitting the opposition more than anything. The faceless suits of the Blair years turned a lot of people off Labour, and more still off politics altogether, in this part of the world. It all depends if the Conservatives manage to split themselves too. The only thing that's going to slow down the Conservatives now, unless all the largest opposition parties somehow get together, is a truly populist party. I dread to think what that might be like, given the current climate.

A decent coalition would (& could have been) a totally respectable alternative. But the UK doesn't seem to do coalition very often; Dave & Nick were a modern day exception. And compromise is a dirty word. They need to overhaul the voting system that supports the two-party system too; PR or some version of PR needs to happen soon.

An eighth Labour MP has left the party, and three Conservatives have just gone too. :eek:

This must put Theresa May's slender majority with DUP support in jeopardy. General Election incoming.

Doesn't alter the maths that much at present. May only had a working majority of thirteen including the DUP anyway (I think). This crew are going to vote with who? They could just as easily vote with the governmnent. The ERG is practically a separate party (within the Conservative party) anyway...

News says she has a working majority, currently, of nine.

Last edited:
The Dave and Nick coalition left the Lib Dems a wreck. I can't actually think what they got out of it at all

I don't see how this is going to work. A referendum on what exactly? Labour haven't made it public whether remain in the EU will be an option on there. If it is, it's going to be a bit of a riot. If one of the options is "May's deal" nobody is going to really understand what that is. The whole idea of going back to the people is riddled with even more complexities & uncertainty; & this is coming from someone who voted to remain. Tbh, it's hard to see an end to the Brexit process at this point in time.

That's not really a response to what I said. I'm afraid any old alternative (current unclear Labour proposal) is just as bad as May's "my deal or no deal" choice i.e. a false choice & a poor one (& an unclear poorly communicated one too). We don't need a re-run of the referendum; I think that would be quite damaging at this stage. What we needed was cross-party talks early & a united parliament to take "the British position" to the EU & negotiate from there. May failed to do that & now it's too late. Corbyn/Labour are floundering around. It's all really disappointing but I don't suppose surprising looking at how politicians normally behave. Problem is: this shit is real.

Last edited:
Yes. And I am looking forward.

-Crap deal and exit.
-Referendum (stay or have crap exit).

Choose thy fav option.

Corbyn has been rightly accusing the PM of running down the clock yet doesn't move for a second referendum until one month before Brexit Day and it took 9 MPs and 2 councillors quitting in a week to force him to do it. He doesn't know what he wants on the ballot paper either. Both party leaders are playing a reckless game of brinkmanship and Corbyn blinked first. The Corbyn evangelists are too stupid to see that he's dithering and doesn't have a credible solution.

Ah well perhaps it is more credible to stick with the crap exit then.
Crexit? Or is that the compound word for Cried Exit?

Corbyn has known for months that the PM is running down the clock as the threat of No Deal is the only way to get a majority for her deal. He's known for months that the EU won't renegotiate. He could have backed a second referendum months ago when the Labour Party members voted for one at the party conference but he doesn't want one. He wants to leave the EU.

Why are you so excited about the vague prospect of another referendum anyway? It doesn't really affect you does it? :S

EU should tell them to fuck off if they hold a second referendum.

How will it benefit the EU if Remain wins the second referendum and then in the future there will be a load of disgruntled brexiteers sitting in the european parliament deliberately trying to undermine it and plotting for Brexit II.

I am looking forward to see the British recognize (2nd referendum) a grave error (Brexit) and the prospect of a correction of this error is even more satisfying.

EU should tell them to fuck off if they hold a second referendum.

How will it benefit the EU if Remain wins the second referendum and then in the future there will be a load of disgruntled brexiteers sitting in the european parliament deliberately trying to undermine it and plotting for Brexit II.
A nasty break from the EU could lead to more important problems.

There is no realistic and ideal scenario. That's not possible anymore. It all sucks. This topic is full of that, we all know that. Politician A sucks, policy B sucks. Yeah. Ahum, Indeed. Righto.

What's next?

Focussing on the least terrible direction, most important now is.

So, what is the least terribly direction @CriedWhenBrucieLeft @Black Wizard ?
Do you dare to speak our on that?

Is continuing in the May direction a more favourable road than a second referendum?
Any other realistic scenario?

Last edited:
Back