Best song where guitarist gets a co-write but not a solo...

What song is the best where a guitarist gets a co-write but not a solo?

• Twilight Zone (Murray)

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Hooks in You (Smith)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Mercenary (Gers)

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Journeyman (Smith)

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Virus (Murray, Gers)

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters

GuineaPig

Ancient Mariner
Had to think long and hard for a poll that had never been done...
And then I had to think hard for what songs could go in. 

My vote goes for the Mercenary, just because its a classic rocker that could of been off any of their golden age albums, and the solos own.

Journeyman for sure.  This is simply the best among the other ones listed here.  I just love full acoustic stuff from Maiden (I know there's only two of them :p).

Very nice and original poll !

"Sun and Steel" could also be added. Smith co-wrote it and Dave played the only real solo in it. A guitar-harmony is not really a solo in my opinion (compare it with the harmonies in e.g. "Running Free or "The Twilight Zone.")

My vote goes to "Virus". I'll never forget the anger in the video !

@GuineaPig - about "The Mercenary", it's indeed old. The foundation was originally written for the band White Spirit in the year 1981. See the Janick-topic: http://forum.maidenfans.com/index.php?topic=11986.0

Well, the commentary gave it to both of them, so I briefly considered it, but I decided against it.

I doubt anyone would have voted for it anyways, especially with the other songs there.  I'll try and think of another original poll, all the easy ones are gone...

Aside from "Hooks in You", all songs are - what I would regard as - bloody good songs. But, I'll go with Twilight Zone as this is really the most "poppy" but also quite "punky" as well. A damn good < 3 min track if there ever was one. :D

The Mercenary for me, though I did have a tough decision between that and Journeyman.  In the end The Mercenary won because of its '80s style, raw power and sheer energy.  Normally I would choose an epic/semi-slow song over a rocker, but I think The Mercenary is just a better song, despite Journeyman's acoustic.

GuineaPig said:
Well, the commentary gave it to both of them, so I briefly considered it, but I decided against it.

Fine, but it's still inconsequent (as argumented in my previous post).

Journeyman.....they dont do the complete acoustic thing often but it is excellent when they do

I'll vote Mercenary, cuz when I saw that solography page with H and Davey doing the solos, it gave me good reason to like it!  :D

This is an easy choice: Virus.

I love the soft build-up and the burst of anger from Blaze accompanied by the angry drums and guitars (in my ears anyway).  The social commentary is poignant.  The tune rocks despite being fairly simple.  The Mercenary would be a second choice.

Back