Best Song Contest- Round 3, Part 3- The Grand Final!

Fuck it, SotC. Rime, Hell on Earth and SotC finished 9, 10, and 11 last time I ranked all the songs, they're basically tied...

Reactions: Eli
While I agree that The Talisman is classic Maiden from the 80's but done in the Reunion era, I can't agree with your statement above. Yeah, the song could have been a bit longer, but it's perfect in one way or another. ''Transcendent'' means it succeeded with its message/vibe/meaning/emotion.
Talisman is certainly not perfect.
That intro is horrendous. 2:18m (25% of the whole song) of complete drudgery and boredom. The only way I could keep that song on my ipod was by cutting that intro off.
It also reminds me of the very worst part of the AMOLAD album - The intro to the Legacy, same feel, same drudgery and unrelenting boredom. And they did it TWO ALBUMS IN A ROW. Holy cow, what were they thinking?

Cut of the intro and then the song is fine.

Two very dull epics, I wouldn't care if I never heard either one of them again. But Rime has to be better than Sign of the cross.
It's like picking the best of two mangy flea bitten, crippled mutts, OK, one is better than the other, but really they should both be put down.

Only one song in round three is worthy of any kind of excitement. Give a newbie this tracklist and you'll put them off Maiden for life.

Talisman is certainly not perfect.
That intro is horrendous. 2:18m (25% of the whole song) of complete drudgery and boredom. The only way I could keep that song on my ipod was by cutting that intro off.
It also reminds me of the very worst part of the AMOLAD album - The intro to the Legacy, same feel, same drudgery and unrelenting boredom. And they did it TWO ALBUMS IN A ROW. Holy cow, what were they thinking?

Cut of the intro and then the song is fine.
I actually agree about The Talisman, but I love the intro in The Legacy. It's not like The Talisman and The Time Machine where the intro should have been a separate track, it's a fitting buildup and honestly my favourite part of the song.

Rime of the Ancient Mariner has been our first finalist for the best song poll. Now, we will find out the second one! Will it be FTGGOG or Hell on Earth?

Songs in round 3: Rime of the Ancient Mariner, For the Greater Good of God, Hell on Earth.

Hell on Earth. Something about it sounds like a great final song to cap off Maiden's career, if does indeed end up being the last song in a chronological playthrough they ever release.

Both 10/10 songs for me overall, but I’ll give the nod to “Hell On Earth” because FTGGOG has that fairly repetitive pre-chorus.

HoE still sounds a little too contrived to me.
I think it's the exact opposite. But what's wrong with being too contrived?
I'm OK if you think so. But, for me, For The Greater Good Of God has something more special than Hell On Earth.
I'm also ok, I respect every opinion. It's just that the melodies in Hell On Earth are some of Maiden's very best imo, Bruce's performance is great in both songs (but it's more impactful in Senjutsu's album closer) and the performance of the band is always great. The whole delivery of the song is masterful. Both songs have amazing intros, verses, pre-choruses, big choruses, melodies, instrumental sections and strong solos.

Back