• The Alchemist

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Man Who Would Be King

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eli

Educated Fool
"For the Greater Good of God" stood out as the best track in part 14 and received most of the votes. However, in an album full of great songs, I was happy to see other favourites as well, especially The Legacy and BTATS.

As we are moving towards the end of Round 1, we have today album no. 15 which created rumours about being the "final album" of the band. Thank God it wasn't... IMO even though not as strong as the albums that came just before or right after; it is still a very good album that contains 2 of my top 5 IM songs. Votes to go for the best track in "The Final Frontier"...

Already in round 2: Phantom of the Opera, Killers, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Revelations, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Caught Somewhere in Time, Infinite Dreams, No Prayer for the Dying, Fear of the Dark, Sign of the Cross, The Clansman, Ghost of the Navigator, Dance of Death, Paschendale, For the Greater Good of God

The Talisman is my choice, this time. ;) It's the best song on the album and I don't understand why so many people love When The Wild Wind Blows while it's really a boring track compared to the four previous... :blink:

:applause:for The Talisman, :( for WTWWB comments.
I didn't say that I don't like this song. I just wrote that compared to Isle Of Avalon, Starbling, The Talisman and The Man Who Would Be King, When The Wild Wind Blows is somewhat boring... It never explodes, it's flat as hell... But, it's a nice track, though...

Reactions: Eli
Another easy one, "When The Wild Wind Blows". "The Talisman" is great, but its intro is made of at least 90% recycled material and Bruce sounds too strained on the chorus. "Isle Of Avalon" is the honorable mention here.

Talisman without a doubt. Love that song, what an epic journey it is. And live its even better. When the Wild Wind Blows has moments but dont really work. Isle of Avalon is second after Talisman imo

Not many contenders here, I've crowed on enough about how the lifeless production and certain performances drag these songs down. When the Wild Wind Blows and Coming Home are the two that manage to shine through, though The Talisman would be up there if the studio version matched the energy of the En Vivo! take. Of those two, Wild Wind is way out in front.

My least favourite reunion album.
Coming Home is pretty safe and standard, but it’s probably my most listened too track - usually when I’ve been working abroad all week and I’m on my way home!

Talisman is great song, it's a journey that feels special and real. The live-version on En Vivo! is my preferred so far. Isle Of Avalon was my absolute favorite when the album came out but unfornately it wasn't played live on the tour following it. I would have hoped to hear it live.
Anyways, I think TFF is great album and I like all the songs here. Strong album and nothing to declare as worst, but for some reason The Man Who Would Be King is my least liked thing here.

When The Wild Wind Blows for me this round. Epic it surely is again and I like the feeling and story. I dig the guitars, especially the part where 2nd verse starts and so..

I thought at the time that TFF was big improvement on A matter of life and death. I was liking some of the unique perhaps proggy elements of AMOLAD and TFF built on that but did it much better.
In hindsight, I don't think much about the AMOLD songs, its not a goto album.

With regards to TFF I had to edit it. I had to remove the horrible fake drum section from the title song, it went on for several minutes (just why!!!). But personally I like Jorn's version of Final Frontier better. I don't like the overlay of vocals and I think Bruce was trying to sound strained as theatrics for the story. Good on him, but...

I also had to remove the intro to The Talisman, (the intro is just boring as hell and is very similar to the intro to The Legacy, I hated that intro, and I hate this intro, so I removed it), after taking the intro off, The Talisman becomes one of my very favourite songs from this album. I really like Starblind, it has an off kilter feel to it, which I love, I consider it an upgrade of the Lord of Light song (I don't entirely know why I compare these two songs, but they are my favourite off these two albums)
The one song I struggle with on this album (my edit of the album) is The man who would be king, I don't like the solo (did Shirley really reverse the solo?), and the song just seems unintentionally awkward to me. I understand that Harris took two Dave Murray songs and smashed them together for this.

Although the epic (WTWWB) is really great, If you told me at the time that the next two albums would have many greater epics, I wouldn't have believed you.

The ballad is great, the epic is real nice. Despite all my complaints and editing, overall this is a fantastic album and I am glad they did it. I also don't mind the band putting experimental stuff as intros and outros because I wan't then to go out on a limb, and if I don't like the result I can easily edit it off without having an awkward song left.

Last edited:
Not just my least favorite reunion album, it's my least favorite Maiden album. Songs here and there have grown on me over time, but the album as a whole is one I just can't totally get behind. Only time I listen to it is when I'm trying to finally have that "aha!" moment when the album would presumably click with me, but over a decade later...no click. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Strong album and nothing to declare as worst, but for some reason The Man Who Would Be King is my least liked thing here.
The one song I struggle with on this album (my edit of the album) is The man who would be king, I don't like the solo (did Shirley really reverse the solo?), and the song just seems unintentionally awkward to me.
After TMWWBK and TMOS, the weakest songs in their respective albums; I'm glad we don't have a Davey song on Senjutsu.

After TMWWBK and TMOS, the weakest songs in their respective albums; I'm glad we don't have a Davey song on Senjutsu.
I agree about the songs and they're not bad by any means, but I wished we had a Dave song in Senjutsu. His songs are always special in some way. I think he should just stick to writing short rockers.

I understand that Harris took two Dave Murray songs and smashed them together for this.
I know this album was more experimental, but I think that was a mistake - TMWWBK should have been a fast short rocker, although the song is not slow. At the end of the day it's a matter of whether you like the song or not, but 5 epics in Disc 2 are a bit too much for me.

Back