• Age of Innocence

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Journeyman

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eli

Educated Fool
Part 12 saw the toughest competition so far with evey song but The Mercenary receiving votes. The winner in the end was Ghost of the Navigator by only two more votes than 3 close followers.

Our next guest is my favourite album Dance of Death. Even though it has its low points and an infamous cover art, 7 out of 11 songs are either great or excellent for me. I guess Paschendale and the title track are the strongest candidates to win. We'll see...

Already in round 2: Phantom of the Opera, Killers, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Revelations, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Caught Somewhere in Time, Infinite Dreams, No Prayer for the Dying, Fear of the Dark, Sign of the Cross, The Clansman, Ghost of the Navigator

Dance of Death... One of the two greatest Iron Maiden songs ever, preceded by The Book of Souls only. Should have been a live staple in every gig IMO.

A toss between title track and Rainmaker.
I voted for the latter which is one of Maiden´s best short rockers of the reunion era.

Reactions: Eli
The title track is the best. Close enough, I'll say "Montségur", "Wildest Dreams", "Paschendale" and "New Frontier". The rest is between nice ("No More Lies", "Face In The Sand", "Journeyman") and meh ("Rainmaker", "Gates Of Tomorrow", "Age Of Innocence"). ;)

I just posted this elsewhere but it's more appropriate in this thread:

For me Dance of Death has two songs in my IM top 15: Title track and Montsegur.
It also has two songs in my next tier (16-35): The Rainmaker and Paschendale.
Beyond that I at least enjoy almost every song particularly Wildest Dreams and Gates of Tomorrow (cool VH Little Guitars vibe on the latter).

It's strange how much I like Montsegur as a practicing Catholic, but I'm also a history nerd and the facts are there that wasn't a great show by the church. (my user name - that's recycled from a hockey website for the NHL's New Jersey Devils).

I didn't post it here but I came up with a dream set list of IM songs the band never played live, and Montsegur was the final encore. The crowd reaction would blow the fucking roof off the building.

But for our purposes here there is one song I've had in my head for the last week (at least) and it's Dance of Death. And that gets my vote today.

• Love
From this album I think the best and strongest songs are: Rainmaker, Montségur, Dance Of Death, Paschendale and Journeyman.
Rest all are ok and nice but the absolutely worst track on this album is Gates Of Tomorrow, it felt like really bland song the last time I ranked these.

Dance Of Death for me.

Another fantastic album. Lots of great songs, no bad songs, the album is really balanced with lots of variety and we finally get Nicko doing a double bass just this once. I understand it was crunched to the point of clipping and this was only done in a hurry for some reason, with no intent of this being the final version and then Harris insisted this would be the one to use.
I don't hear the clipping. It's not a disaster like Death Magnetic.
I'm in it for the music I couldn't care less about the album art.

My favourites are Face in the Sand, No more lies and Dance of Death. I picked Face in the sand, love the melody and really enjoyed the double bass just this once.

Dance of Death, Journeyman and Paschendale. Honourable mention: Rainmaker.

Remove "No More Lies" and "Age of Innocence" and this album would probably be my favourite.

Remove Wildest Dreams, Age Of Innocence, New Frontier, Gates Of Tomorrow and Journeyman and it would be a perfect album.
DoD ain’t gonna be a perfect album no matter how you cut it, and why tf are you chopping a fun little opener, a cool sci-fi rocker, a fucking banger with one of the band’s best choruses, and their only fully acoustic song, a beautifully sentimental ballad? AoI I can do without but all the other songs are at least solid to awesome.

I don't think “Paschendale” is one of those cases of overrating. It deserves all the praise. Look at every little detail, that's how you transfer a story/atmosphere into music.

Paschendale was my second-favourite Maiden song for a long time, but it dropped a wee bit in my estimations a while back. I did hesitate in voting for it, but I still rate it a little higher than the other two truly great tracks from this album, which would be the title song and Rainmaker.

I voted Dance of Death because I’ve become a little obsessed with it lately, but I feel the need to express my utter love of Journeyman, which is one of Maidens most soul stirring songs

I don't think “Paschendale” is one of those cases of overrating. It deserves all the praise. Look at every little detail, that's how you transfer a story/atmosphere into music.
The vocal melody forcibly following the guitar melody and rhythm in the verse doesn’t work at all, IMO, and it totally ruins those parts of the song. Also, the mix was so muddy on the original album that many of the nuances were lost, though the remaster did improve the situation.

I think “Paschendale” has a great concept and a handful of great parts in it, but it doesn’t actually come together and work well as a complete song; so yes, I think it’s wildly overrated.

Remove Wildest Dreams, Age Of Innocence, New Frontier, Gates Of Tomorrow and Journeyman and it would be a perfect album.
It would be half an album then:). Anyway, besides Journeyman (I think it's great), I agree that the others are the low points of the album.

Back