Out of the Silent Planet
My scale:

2-4 min. -> short song
4-5 min. -> normal length for a song
6-7 min. -> long song
8+ min. -> epic

I voted for Rainmaker.

Last edited:
Tough call between Judas and Rainmaker, but I went with Rainmaker in the end. Flight of Icarus was a contender, but it doesn't feel like it really fits with the others as a "short rocker".
I disagree actually. IMO it’s one of Maiden’s best examples of a short rocker - short but sweet song with a lot of punch. It just isn’t as fast as some of the others.

Yeah... Flight of Icarus is that instant hit excelent composition type song like Wasted Years, Can I Play With Madness, Run To The Hills, Running Free, Holy Smoke, The Wicker Man, Proeler, The Trooper, Wrathchild, Rainmaker, Lord Of The Flies, Final Frontier, Bring Your Daughter, 2 Minutes to Midnight etc... It's amazing the composing skills that these guys have while creating both instant ear friendly anthems and inticrate long epic songs, with the vast majority of these outputs being amazing tracks.

But on the short song area I tend more to the fast and aggressive side of maiden like Aces High, Sanctuary, Be Quick, Man On The Edge, Invaders, Judgement Day, Futureal and Montsegur or even Purgatory, Back In The Village, Sea Of Madness, Only The Good Die Young and The Alchemist.

I went with everyone's favorite, Wrathchild!
I give great credit to Wrathchild, Sanctuary, Run To The Hills and The Trooper. Unlike many others these songs have already been played live a zillion times and always sound fresh. Great pick.

Of course it's Prowler!

And sod off @Magnus with your "'Arry the fairy did not write this".
And bugger away @Jer jer buddy with your flippin in depth analysis of every little nook n' cranny of the tune. It's a cracking production as well, buddy. Hey, it is. I swear.
Thanks and goodnite, buddies.

Right here, buddy. I actually don’t have any particular fondness for the ‘88 version, I was just yanking your chain...

I know and Danke Schön, bud. You do well what you do well. Well?

Didn't write the lyrics buddy, does it matter to you? Song is great with any lyrics.
That's the story, don't be complaining man.

Not complaining, just yankin' yer chain as Jer said 'forehand. And I fuckin' knew you'd love to bring it up.

Back