Best of the B’sides

Saphrax

Nomad
I don’t see another thread on this release.

Here’s the track listing for it:

Disc One

Burning Ambition" Steve Harris 1980 ~ Running Free 2:42
2. "Drifter" (Live in 1980) Harris 1980 ~ Sanctuary 6:03
3. "Invasion" Harris 1980 ~ Women in Uniform 2:39
4. "Remember Tomorrow" (Live in 1981) Paul Di'Anno, Harris 1982 ~ The Number of the Beast(Single) 5:28
5. "I've Got the Fire" (Montrosecover) Ronnie Montrose 1983 ~ Flight of Icarus 2:39
6. "Cross-Eyed Mary" (Jethro Tull cover) Ian Anderson 1983 ~ The Trooper 3:56
7. "Rainbow's Gold" (Beckettcover) Terry Slesser, Kenny Mountain 1984 ~ 2 Minutes to Midnight 4:59
8. "King of Twilight" (Nektarcover) Nektar 1984 ~ Aces High 4:53
9. "Reach Out" Dave Colwell 1986 ~ Wasted Years 3:33
10. "That Girl" (FM cover) Andy Barnett, Merv Goldsworthy, Pete Jupp 1986 ~ Stranger in a Strange Land 5:05
11. "Juanita" (Marshall Fury cover) Steve Barnacle, Derek O'Neil 1986 ~ Stranger in a Strange Land 3:47
12. "The Sheriff of Huddersfield" Iron Maiden 1986 ~ Wasted Years 3:35
13. "Black Bart Blues" Bruce Dickinson, Harris 1988 ~ Can I Play With Madness 6:41
14. "Prowler '88" Harris 1988 ~ The Evil That Men Do 4:09
15. "Charlotte the Harlot '88" Dave Murray 1988 ~ The Evil That Men Do 4:13

Disc Two

1. "All in Your Mind" (Straycover) Del Bromham 1990 ~ Holy Smoke 4:31
2. "Kill Me Ce Soir" (Golden Earringcover) George Kooymans, Barry Hay, John Fenton 1990 ~ Holy Smoke 6:17
3. "I'm a Mover" (Free cover) Andy Fraser, Paul Rodgers 1990 ~ Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter 3:29
4. "Communication Breakdown" (Led Zeppelincover) John Bonham, John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page 1990 ~ Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter 2:42
5. "Nodding Donkey Blues" Harris, Dickinson, Murray, Nicko McBrain, Janick Gers 1992 ~ Be Quick or Be Dead 3:17
6. "Space Station No. 5" (Montrose cover) Ronnie Montrose 1992 ~ Be Quick or Be Dead 3:47
7. "I Can't See My Feelings" (Budgie cover) Tony Bourge, Burke Shelley 1992 ~ From Here to Eternity 3:50
8. "Roll Over Vic Vella" (Cover of "Roll Over Beethoven" with different lyrics) Chuck Berry 1992 ~ From Here to Eternity 4:48
9. "Justice of the Peace" Harris, Murray 1995 ~ Man on the Edge 3:33
10. "Judgement Day" Blaze Bayley, Gers 1995 ~ Man on the Edge 4:04
11. "My Generation" (The Whocover) Pete Townshend 1996 ~ Lord of the Flies 3:37
12. "Doctor Doctor" (UFO cover) Michael Schenker, Phil Mogg 1996 ~ Lord of the Flies 4:50
13. "Blood on the Worlds Hands" (Live in 1995) Harris 1998 ~ The Angel and the Gambler 6:07
14. "The Aftermath" (Live in 1995) Bayley, Gers, Harris 1998 ~ The Angel and the Gambler 6:45
15. "Futureal" (Live in 1999) Bayley, Harris 2000 ~ The Wicker Man 3:01
16. "Wasted Years" (Live in 1999) Smith 2000 ~ Out of the Silent Planet 5:00

Last edited:
Highlights:
Cross-Eyed Mary — In my opinion Maiden’s best cover
Doctor Doctor — Blaze vocals, good cover
Prowler '88

Lowlights:
Drifter (Live in 1980) — Paul drags out the audience participation bits too much
The Sheriff of Huddersfield — inside jokes are fun but novelty songs seldom hold up over time

For this compilation they should also included the other bonus song for TXF album - ''I Live My Way''

Also mandatory is ''Total Eclipse'' and the cover of Thin Lizzy's Massacre is also missing.

Last edited:
For this compilation they should also included the other bonus song for TXF album - ''I Live My Way''

Also mandatory is ''Total Eclipse'' and the cover of Thin Lizzy's Massacre is also missing.

I agree about Massacre being worthy inclusion, but Total Eclipse would have been pretty pointless since it was part of the 1998 TNOTB remaster CD anyway.

Well yeah, but it is one of the best B-sides of Maiden.

I agree. :p But for a limited edition CD-release, as Best of the B-sides was, there's absolutely no point in including (and wasting already pretty limited running time) something that is already widely available everywhere. :p

It's been ages since I've listen to some of these, especially from 1st disc.
@Saphrax you're too hard on Drifter, I love that ending.
Anyway, I forgot what's the story behind '88 Bruce versions on Prowler and Charlotte?

It's been ages since I've listen to some of these, especially from 1st disc.
@Saphrax you're too hard on Drifter, I love that ending.
Anyway, I forgot what's the story behind '88 Bruce versions on Prowler and Charlotte?

I probably am. It’s a good nostalgia song that captures the spirit of Maiden’s early following and live performances at the beginning of the NWOBHM trend.

I think Prowler and Charlotte ‘88 mainly served to redo some classic Paul/Dennis material with Bruce and Adrian.

I think Prowler and Charlotte ‘88 mainly served to redo some classic Paul/Dennis material with Bruce and Adrian.

I think they might have had it half in mind to redo the whole album due to how they (Steve) dislike the original production job.

I think they might have had it half in mind to redo the whole album due to how they (Steve) dislike the original production job.

Would have been an interesting companion piece to the original record. Mainly, personally, to hear Birch's take on these songs.

Not to forget Women in Uniform, which I know is frowned upon by Maiden fans. But it wasn't a b- side really. Still mandatory as you put it, buddy.

Back