Best New Music of 2018

Yea NP you have to admit there isn't anything on the latest SX that is as lame as that. :p

Underworld is easily better than The Astonishing, but I wish SX had Dream Theater's inspiration to try different things. I did think Underworld was similar to DT12 though. Similar to-the-point songwriting, dark/heavy overall tone, and both albums have a lot of songs with really abrupt half-baked endings. Those two are a much closer comparison for me, actually not sure which I prefer. Underworld has a lot of individual tracks that are great but the album as a whole leaves a lot left to be desired, where DT12 feels like a satisfying experience from beginning to end but with several songs that are average by their standards.

Also not going to pretend there aren't similarities between the two bands. But it goes back to what I was saying about bands like Headspace and Circus Maximus. SX and DT might be cut from the same cloth, but they each bring different sounds to their respective palettes that the other band never use.

Underworld is easily better than The Astonishing, but I wish SX had Dream Theater's inspiration to try different things. I did think Underworld was similar to DT12 though. Similar to-the-point songwriting, dark/heavy overall tone, and both albums have a lot of songs with really abrupt half-baked endings. Those two are a much closer comparison for me, actually not sure which I prefer. Underworld has a lot of individual tracks that are great but the album as a whole leaves a lot left to be desired, where DT12 feels like a satisfying experience from beginning to end but with several songs that are average by their standards.

What's funny (and to put this back on the 2016 track) is that after these two records now Theocracy have joined the "streamlined, simplified" approach (and it suits them, though thus they cannot surpass I Am if only from the genre standpoint) and I wonder who comes next. However, they didn't follow the darkness and heaviness route. The Wonder of It All is pretty thrashy, true, but it's not heavier than Nailed and the album overall is pretty bubblegummy.

BTW I prefer Underworld. I feel the shorter-song approach suits SX more in general, but I also can play that one repeatedly many times over, whereas I'm quite full of DT 12 after two listens. Probably hasn't been helped by the generally similar Bigger Picture - Behind the Veil - Surrender to Reason (that even have similar length) sitting there in the middle (Surrender suffered a lot because of its placement on the album). Also, Behind the Veil has this epic intro and then is cut very soon. That one was probably the ugliest victim of the "short" approach - I don't find anything quite like that on Underworld, Swan Song vocals coming early on notwithstanding.

I think Surrender To Reason suffers the most from the short song approach. Very similar feel to Breaking All Illusions and could've been an epic length track but feels intentionally cut short.

That is the one problem I have with Dream Theater these days. They consciously decide whether songs should be long or short but don't take into consideration whether or not it actually fits the song.

I think Surrender To Reason suffers the most from the short song approach. Very similar feel to Breaking All Illusions and could've been an epic length track but feels intentionally cut short.

That is the one problem I have with Dream Theater these days. They consciously decide whether songs should be long or short but don't take into consideration whether or not it actually fits the song.
Too many bands go for the "epic" too often, in my opinion. If the greatest and most famous/influential rock songwriters in history (Lennon and McCartney) could manage with songs that mostly came in under 4:00 in length, other bands can refrain from bloat too. Bands need a strong producer to help edit, and Maiden is no exception. Some of their epics work, but several do not. Imagine if The Angel and The Gambler were only 3 minutes long -- it'd be great.

When I become the Supreme Overlord, I shall decree that henceforth all songs shall be short. Artists can merge them together in a quasi-medley like The Beatles, Pink Floyd and Queen famously did, if they think they can manage it. But keep each individual song short. **looking for my 2-minute song thread**

Underworld is easily better than The Astonishing, but I wish SX had Dream Theater's inspiration to try different things.

I wish they'd swap inspirations - SX should do a full, melodic concept album and DT should do a shorter song, much heavier album.

Nah, they'll keep trying - writing songs like When All Is Lost, To Hell and Back, and Without You - but they'll always feel a little hollow and a little forced.

I'd like to think they'll get over the tough guy heavy phase the same way DT did. Underworld was already a step away from that. I do wish they'd try epics more because they usually come out good. The Odyssey is my ideal SX album in terms of balance between song lengths.

2. Anderson Paak - Malibu
Every year, for the past few years now, there is one Hip Hop album that somehow manages to keep my attention for the whole year after discovering it. In 2016, that album was also the first one I listened to all year. The Summer-y album artwork and mood of the album seemed so out of place when I listened to it on the way to school in the middle of January, but I think that actually made the album that much more memorable to me. The release timing was unfortunate though. I don't know the background of the album, but putting it out in January made this catch on much less than it could've. It wasn't long before it was overshadowed by more high profile hip hop releases from artists such as Kanye, Death Grips, and Danny Brown. Had it been released in May I think it could've blown up. It was very popular for a few weeks and Anderson Paak has been getting a lot more exposure being on late night shows, so it definitely had potential.

Anyway, it's a great album and my favorite hip hop of the year. There are a lot of elements of soul, R&B, and traditional blues on this. There's a higher emphasis of acoustic instruments over electronics, which isn't common in pop music currently. The electronics are still there, but the music has a very organic feel overall. Anderson also sings in addition to rapping, which gives the music an extra layer of depth. And it's not like when Kanye or Kendrick sing, both are passable but by no means great. Anderson is actually a really good singer. He has a unique soulful voice. There were many songs where I enjoyed the singing more than the rapping.

Finally, this album has a fantastic flow. Like To Pimp a Butterfly, this album is more than a mere collection of songs. The theme isn't as heavy as TPAB and it's far less literal. It's more about the general vibe and mood of the music here. The music transports you to a much more tropical setting. There are a lot of spoken interludes at the ends of songs that set up the mood of the next one. The album also starts with a laid back, almost melancholy mood, but gradually becomes more uplifting before peaking at the optimistic anthem: The Dreamer.

Favorite songs: The Bird, Heart Don't Stand a Chance, The Season/Carry Me, Without You, Room In Here, Come Down, Silicon Valley, Celebrate, The Dreamer

1. David Bowie - Blackstar
Yes, this is probably the "typical" choice for best album this year, but it really deserves all the praise it gets. And to be fair to the critics, I was hearing good things about this album before Bowie died. Not much left to be said about this one, the circumstances around it certainly make it more intriguing but the songwriting is really high quality regardless. It's rare that you hear an artist as old as Bowie making music that sounds current but also still genuinely in the artist's style. What I like about Blackstar is that each song seems to capture a certain period of Bowie's career, all while sounding fresh. The opening title track is reminiscent of his older glam rock sound. Then there's Tis a Pity She Was a Whore, which has a New Wave sound to it. Every song has its own vibe and style but it all goes together really well. It's also short, only 40 minutes, but the length feels right. This album had a lot of hype this year, so I imagine most people who were interested have listened to it and already have an opinion. I was really impressed with it and it made me want to check out Bowie's other later work, as I haven't heard it yet. Great album.

Favorite songs: Blackstar, Dollar Days, I Can't Give It All Away, Lazarus

EP's:

1. Charli XCX - Vroom Vroom

This one took me by surprise. Charli XCX is your typical bubblegum pop star in the same vein as Nicki Minaj and Iggy Azalea. Usually very bland and annoying pop music. So I was surprised to see her latest EP was receiving praise from outlets that usually aren't favorable to that type of music. I had to check it out. This EP is a collaboration between Charli XCX and producer Sophie, who is known for a more experimental and erratic production style. It's the perfect match. You have the bubblegum style of Charli but with very out there interesting arrangements and sounds. It's catchy but also exciting.

Lots of variety in the songs too. Some of them sound like throwbacks (Paradise being the best example) but it also has a futuristic tone to it overall.

She also actually has a pretty good voice. Goes to show that a lot of these pop singers are capable of a greater potential under the right guidance. Definitely my most unexpected favorite of this year.

Favorite Songs: Secret, Vroom Vroom

By the way, I just now remembered Kansas released an album in 2016 after a long period of silence. I haven't heard it yet, but maybe someone else has.

Totally forgot about it. What I heard of it sounded good

Why wait until the end of the year? I listen to music all year long! Since we're already 1/3 of the way through 2017, I figured I'd retool (and re-title) this thread so people can share their favorite new music throughout the year. Please don't overthink the word best" in the title -- if it's new music and you really love it -- post! Info re reissues also welcome, though frankly I'm more interested in learning about new music.

To kick us off (for this year): I have posted about it elsewhere in this forum, but I really like the new Royal Thunder LP, "Wick"

Okay, I have one

220px-Ayreon_-_The_Source.jpg

It sounds heavier than the previous outings, IMHO, and...

Russell Allen, Floor Jansen, Tommy Karevik, Hansi Kürsch, Tommy Rogers, James LaBrie, Simone Simons, Michael Eriksen, Tobias Sammet, Nils K. Rue, Paul Gilbert, and Guthrie Govan (and others, such as Marillion's Mark Kelly and Marcel Coenen of Sun Caged's fame). :confused:

I guess I'll be spinning this one quite often in the foreseeable future. Gilbert's solo on Star of Sirrah is f*** mindblowing.

Haven't been paying much attention to new music lately. I've mostly spent my time going back to classics I've missed and my ongoing Buckethead project. I have heard some good stuff here and there though.

https://kinggizzard.bandcamp.com/album/flying-microtonal-banana
This is really good psychedelic rock. Kinda reminds me of 70s krautrock stuff.

Really awesome Jazz featuring one of the best up and coming sax players: Kamasi Washington.

I discovered Thundercat because of his work with Kendrick Lamar. Fans of TPAB will recognize his sound right away. Of all the collaborators on that album, Thundercat probably leaves the biggest mark. His solo music is more of the R&B variety. It's not the most revolutionary songwriting you'll hear, but I really dig his production style and the textures he creates. Nice bass playing too.

I've been meaning to check Thundercat out for a while, just couldn't get around to doing it.

Probably gonna listen to some of his former releases before the recent one.

I would actually suggest starting with an EP he put out a couple years ago: The Beyond/Where the Giants Roam. It's very short, around 20 minutes, but it feels like one continuous piece. Probably better than anything on Drunk (not that Drunk is bad). It has some really awesome features too, including Kamasi Washington and Herbie Hancock.

Back