Best New Music of 2018

I really want to be a Buckethead fan but I can't keep up. Even before the Pikes series it was difficult, now it's impossible. There are other prolific musicians I'm still wading through like Zappa and John Zorn.
Buckethead & Zorn have been on albums together before. Two birds one stone...

:p

I really want to be a Buckethead fan but I can't keep up. Even before the Pikes series it was difficult, now it's impossible. There are other prolific musicians I'm still wading through like Zappa and John Zorn.
This Spring I checked 125 pikes and was able to filter out 16 of my personal favourites. I bought these. Now I'm plunging into his post-Halloween 2015 catalogue. Determined to buy a couple. The sale is still on.

Last edited:
Thrice - To Be Everywhere Is to Be Nowhere
Thrice took a break after their previous album 'Major/Minor' which was released in 2011. They're a band who I mostly listened to as a teenager in my Screamo/Post-Hardcore phase (but I still don't know what "Post-Hardcore" is!) but one of the bands whose music I still enjoy as much as I did more than ten years ago. Their comeback album is nice, and in following with their more recent albums where they moved away from the Post-Hardcore sound with more mature and mellow Rock music. It's hard to find anything that stands out though, with much of the album seeming a bit empty and withdrawn. It is good to have them back on the road and making music again though, and hopefully I won't have to wait another five years for their next album, or another six-and-a-half years until I next see them live! Rating: 6/10. Highlight: Black Honey.

Delain - Moonbathers

I only started listening to Delain this year and I'm glad I did. I spent a good chunk of summer listening to 'The Human Condtradiction' before 'Moonbathers' was released at the end of August. I prefer 'The Human Contradiction' but there isn't much wrong with 'Moonbathers'. Charlotte Wessels has a gorgeous voice that fits the songs perfectly (or vice versa). Delain's songs are quite cleverly written I think. They're simple (if a little cheesey, e.g. 'Suckerpunch') and sometimes that's all that's necessary. They write simple songs that also create a powerful atmosphere ('Pendulum' and 'Danse Macabre'). This kind of music is great live so if you haven't seen Delain before then I recommend you check them out! If there's anything that frustrates me about 'Moonbathers' it's that Alyssa White-Gluz has made another guest appearance. After featuring on the final song of 'The Human Contradiction' she makes a cameo on the opening song of 'Moonbathers'. Her vocal style is totally out of place with Charlotte's and I think she spoils 'Hands of Gold' a bit, which is otherwise an excellent album opener. Asides from this I've enjoyed 'Moonbathers' the last few months, including the cover of 'Scandal' by Queen (which my mother, a Queen fan since childhood, hated!). Rating: 8/10. Highlight: Danse Macabre.

The Lounge Kittens - Sequins and C-Bombs

The Lounge Kittens are an all-female trio who take well-known Pop and Rock songs and give them the Lounge music treatment. They're the reason I missed the dogfight at Sonisphere in 2014... It's all very clever and well executed, and some songs are improved from the originals. They've covered Alice Cooper, The Offspring, Drowning Pool and Metallica to name a few. There's even a Rammstein medley named 'Rammers medley' on the album too. It's all gloriously silly and a sense of humour is strongly recommended. I suggest you listen to it because it's not something I can easily explain! Rating: 7/10. Highlight: The Cave (Mumford & Sons).

Pretty Maids - Kingmaker

This is the first Pretty Maids album I've listened to and if 'Kingmaker' is anything to go by then it won't be the last. Having only heard of them due to Ronnie Atkins' recent involvement with Avantasia I wasn't sure what to expect but when I saw on Spotify that they had a new album I thought I'd give them a shot. 'Kingmaker' is a cool album and while there's nothing out of the ordinary about it there's nothing to complain about either. It's a good quality Hard Rock album and quite impressive that they can make music this good on their fifteenth album (hello Megadeth). Rating 7/10. Highlight: When God Took a Day Off.

Generally it's been a comparatively weak year for new music, in my opinion, unless you are a fan of hip-hop or ambient non-melodic mood music. Plus, I probably missed something that would have made my list if I were more on top of shit, like with Royal Thunder last year, which I didn't notice until well into 2016. Nonetheless, here are my Top picks for 2016, at least from what I've heard so far. I could only really pick four, as I didn't hear anything else that really grabbed me (though I just started listening to the Kvelertak album and it's interesting). And no, you won't see David Bowie's boring "Blackstar" or either of the Knowles sisters on here, like seemingly every goddamn year-end list out there.

Metallica - Hardwired...
I realize this is a pretty polarizing and divisive album on this forum, and it's obviously too long, but 70% of it is pretty good, and a couple songs are great -- "Moth Into Flame" is one of them. The bonus disc with the Dio medley and the live Record Store Day tracks is terrific too.

Angel Olsen - My Woman
Nothing metal or even hard rock about this one. She is a throwback singer-songwriter in the Joni Mitchell tradition. The new album blends rock, country, folk, and pop. Her voice is really interesting, and her songs are well constructed. It's not a classic, but in a down year, it's solid, and one of my favorites.

Opeth - Sorceress
It's a bit of a step back from the genius of Pale Communion, but it's still awesome. Again, the bonus disc is welcome, especially "Spring 1974," which might be my favorite song of the whole set.

And my favorite album of 2016 is...

Mitski - Puberty 2
See post #21 above. Really enjoyable "indie" rock album. No bloat whatsoever, songs are short and to the point. Good melodies and lyrics.

Does Buckethead not do collaborations anymore? He seemed to appear on a lot of different musicians' albums at one point.

Does Buckethead not do collaborations anymore? He seemed to appear on a lot of different musicians' albums at one point.
He collaborated a lot in the 90's I think mainly through working with Laswell; lots of contacts, lots of work with other artists. It's always nice to hear him soloing on some random track. In the 2000's he recorded a lot of stuff in Travis Dickerson's studio (inc. his own solo albums) & this resulted in many projects & collaborations too. As in, lots. He was still doing various different projects with Brain & also Viggo Mortensen up until about 2010-2011. He then went headlong into his Pikes and other than the break this year for touring he basically hasn't done anything else since.

I'm sort of unsure whether I think this is a good or a bad thing. Some of the collaborations were pretty good but none of them were really up there with his own solo work. I think what he really needs is a band around him & to take more time with production. Can't see that happening any time soon though.

I feel the same way with Buckethead as I do other "shred" guitarists (Satriani/Vai/etc): Their solo work is cool but I find them most enjoyable when they are playing with other high level musicians. Buckethead is more interesting than your average guitarist so it is more of a missed opportunity that he doesn't work with other musicians more. John Zorn would be a great collaboration. Not many guitarists are capable of working with him and he has a very impressive roster of previous guitarists.

He just needs reined in a little. Honestly, all things considered, I don't think Buckethead's approach has really changed that much. He always fucked about a lot (interesting live, doesn't work so well in the studio), recorded way too much (either solo &/or with other people), and produced stuff that was magical (his best is awesome) down to mind numbingly frustrating crap (e.g. ambient/drone/noise releases). But, if he wants to go and make 30 ambient Halloween albums then who am I to stop him.

He's made his music pretty freely available too; there's just too much of it for most people. I look at people on this forum who listen to, say, Metallica or Megadeth (& would go & see them multiple times too) & who seem quite critical of whole swaths of their careers, whole albums, or who find everything they've produced has "filler" here & there --& honestly I don't see why Buckethead should be judged any differently i.e. take what's good & ignore what you don't like. That's difficult for an artist you really like, but there's no other approach with Buckethead.

Buckethead's awesome riffing, haven't heard that when he works with other artists. No, if I could choose, let Zorn fuck around with one million people. Buckethead rather not.

Sabaton - The Last Stand
I hear a lot of Sabaton's previous albums in this. They've stuck to their tried and tested formula and it's produced the same sort of memorable choruses in songs about various historical battles. There's some good stuff on 'The Last Stand' but Sabaton's approach is starting to wear a little thin. They're reusing old ideas for songs with 'Sparta' based on the same battle as 'Coat of Arms' and both songs are the opening tracks on their respective albums. 'The Last Stand' nevertheless has some good moments among the repetition such as 'Last Dying Breath' and 'The Last Stand' - although I removed 'Blood of Bannockburn' from my Spotify after a couple of listens. Hideous song. Rating: 6/10. Highlight: The Last Stand.

Anthrax - For All Kings

Wow, what a triumph of an album. After thirty-two years and eleven albums Anthrax still have it. I thought 'Worship Music' was a top quality album but 'For All Kings' exceeds its predecessor. From the angry, Thrashy songs like 'Evil Twin' and 'Defend/Avenge' to the more powerful songs like 'Breathing Lightning' and 'Blood Eagle Wings', this album pushes all the right buttons and doesn't disappoint. 'For All Kings' has been one the musical highlights of the year since I listened to it in March and it's still as good at the end of the year. In particular the line "You always have the chance to do the right thing" from 'Breathing Lightning' resonated particularly strongly with me and still does. Considering that Megadeth release albums for the sake of it, Slayer have released the same album over and over again since 'Reign in Blood' and Metallica have released an OK album (my thoughts still to come), it's remarkable that Anthrax can still produce music that ranks among their best, unlike their Big 4 colleagues. Anthrax's best album? Probably. Rating: 10/10. Highlight: Breathing Lightning.

Love Zombies - Passionfruit

Love Zombies are a super-poppy Pop-Punk band who I got into after seeing them on one of the tiny stages at Sonisphere 2014. They're cheerful, upbeat and good fun to listen to. It's nice to have something different to what I normally listen to on my Spotify. If you're into any Pop-Punk at all then I recommend checking out 'Passionfruit' - it's a nice album. I'm not normally into this sort of music but I guess we can all have exceptions. Rating: 7/10. Highlight: Big and Strong.

Amon Amarth - Jomsviking

I'm not a big Amon Amarth fan so I'm not all that familiar with their back catalogue, and only made an effort to listen to 'Jomsviking' as I was going to see Amon Amarth and Testament in November. I think 'Jomsviking' is a pretty good album and while I can't say how it ranks against the rest of their albums I they've done a good job. Sure, it doesn't sound much different to the little Amon Amarth I knew previously, such as songs like 'Runes to my Memory' which I admit I prefer, but it's a solid piece of work. It's heavy and catchy at the same time, and 'Raise Your Horns' could easily become a classic in The Pony if we ever use chat again. I suppose 'Jomsviking' is what one would expect from an Amon Amarth album. Lots of songs about Vikings in the same way that Sabaton have a lot of songs about historical battles. Nonetheless, it's an enjoyable album and I the songs from it worked well when played live. Rating: 7/10. Highlight: One Against All.

I will do a 2016 retrospective too. I'm with CFH in that I didn't hear a lot of great music this year, but I also wasn't listening to a lot of new music compared to previous years. I spent more time going back to classics and discovering older music I haven't heard yet. Next year I would like to try balancing the two better. I did manage to make a top 10 favorite albums and top 5 favorite EPs though. But even there, only a few albums are ones I really loved and will likely go back to. But again, I also missed a ton. I still haven't heard the new Radiohead and I only just listened to the first disc of the new Swans album. On the other hand, albums that I actually was anticipating (Dream Theater, Metallica, Opeth, etc) didn't really live up to expectations. Some were straight up disappointments. My favorites this year are all albums by artists I either hadn't heard before or I wasn't expecting much out of. One album I just heard this week might work its way into my top ten.

Before getting to my top ten (and I'm still figuring out the order), here are some albums that didn't make the cut that I still wanted to talk about. These aren't honorable mentions, as some aren't anywhere near the top ten. They are in alphabetical order by artist.

Abbath - Abbath: I know a lot of the Immortal fans weren't into this one but I really enjoyed this album for what it is. Probably the catchiest/most accessible black metal album I've heard. But it still sounded raw and had the same energy I've come to expect with Black Metal. Gotta love the cheap horn synths on Ashes of the Damned too. There are several forgettable songs though and at the end of the day the music is pretty pedestrian. It lacks the atmosphere and dynamics of the black metal albums that I find myself often going back to. Still a solid album.

Favorite songs: Ashes of the Damned, Winter Bane, Count the Dead

Amon Amarth - Jomsviking: Again, an album that got a mixed reception from hardcore fans of a band that I don't really listen to that I actually liked. I didn't love it, but there were a few songs that stood out to me more than anything else this band has ever done. The concept was cool and the album has a great flow to it. I also love anything with Doro on it, her song is good. Not sure if this album made me an Amon Amarth fan, although at some point I'm going to go back to some of their classics.

Favorite songs: First Kill, Raise Your Horns

Avenged Sevenfold - The Stage: This album seemed to take everyone by surprise, both with its release and the style of music. I hated Hail To the King. That album combined with changing musical tastes pretty much killed my interest in the band. I checked out The Stage out of curiosity and while it didn't rekindle my love for the band, it is something I can say I probably would've enjoyed 5 years ago. Had they released this instead of Hail To the King in 2013 I might still be a fan even. But at this point it was too little too late. I do have to give them credit for experimenting more on this album and putting out an 8 minute track as their lead single. Also the epic Exist, while it didn't really do much for me on first listen, is ambitious. It's a bit of a mess but there are some good ideas in there. Any mainstream act doing a big epic like that gets my recognition. I can at least say I respect what they do again, as this wasn't the case during the Hail To the King era. I'm curious about what they do next.

I have to say though, the production and vocals are really bad. The production just sounds really thin and weak, they overdid it on the EQ big time. It sounds like a demo tape. M Shadows wasn't a great vocalist to begin with but his voice has really deteriorated over the years. The thin production just brings out the weaknesses in his voice even more. I'm sure I've said it before on here, but it blows my mind that these gargantuan bands somehow manage to consistently release horribly produced albums. Not even just slightly flawed, but albums with major problems. They have the best equipment money can buy yet lower budget acts sound way better.

Favorite songs: Sunny Disposition, God Damn, The Stage

Dream Theater - The Astonishing: Maybe the most controversial release this year, at least in Metal circles. I think I rated this a 7. I don't think it's a disaster like many other people do, but I definitely see where those people are coming from. You can't do a 2 hour rock opera and have the end result be only OK. It's only going to work if it's just shy of being a masterpiece. That's a tough order, but it's what you sign up for when you try to do an album like this. I appreciate the effort and I'm glad to see them doing something different in their 4th decade as a band, but it misses the mark in a way that is somewhat disappointing.

That said, I gave it a 7 which means I still liked it. There are a few songs that taken out of context are among the band's best shorter songs. There are moments where the concept works brilliantly and they at least nailed the musical format. The overture and entr'acte are both good and both closing pieces do exactly what they should in an album like this. The first disc is also exceptional. It's the second disc, the lack of variety overall, and the sloppy execution of the story that drags this album down.

Favorite songs: A Life Left Behind, The Gift of Music, Dystopian Overture, The Road To Revolution, A Better Life, Three Days

Lycus - Chasms: I don't listen to a lot of doom metal, but this album got regular play from me for a couple weeks after hearing it. Four tracks altogether clocking in at 43 minutes. It's short and sweet, but dense. Not much else to say here, if you're into Doom Metal don't pass this one up.

Favorite song: Chasms

Megadeth - Dystopia: This album redeemed Megadeth for me after the horrible Super Collider. Not only was this a good album, but it actually felt more like classic Megadeth than anything I've heard from them in quite some time. It actually felt kind of fresh, at least as fresh as a Megadeth album can get. Feels like the band is reenergized (thanks to a new lineup?) and Dave Mustaine gained some new inspiration. When the tracklist and title came out I was worried that the conspiracy theory message would probably slap the listener in the face, but I can hardly understand what Dave is singing so it wasn't a problem. The riffs were good and that's the best you can hope for with a Megadeth album these days.

Favorite songs: The Threat Is Real, Post American World, The Emperor, Foreign Policy

Metallica - Hardwired...To Self Destruct: I listened to this once and enjoyed it, but haven't had any desire to listen to it again. It is a step in the right direction for Metallica, but with 10 years in between releases it feels more like baby steps. There really isn't anything on here that was worth waiting that long for, the album should've come out 2-3 years after Death Magnetic. All that aside, it's a pretty good album. Almost every song had something going for it and there were bursts of greatness in there. If they didn't take so long to make new albums, they could channel that potential and really go somewhere with it. But it seems obvious at this point that they are't inspired to make new music anymore and only do it because the fans want it.

IMO instead of releasing full albums they should just jam out songs every few months and do EPs or singles. This would please fans who crave new music and it would probably lead to higher quality material. They haven't put out a consistently good album since Ride the Lightning anyway.

Favorite songs: Hardwired, Atlas Rise, Moth to the Flame, Spit Out the Bone

Opeth - Sorceress: Honestly, this album would probably make my top ten if I listened to it more but I just haven't heard it enough times to accurately rate it. I will go over my thoughts in more detail in the Opeth thread, but to sum it up: I like the album but I think it's a major missed opportunity and maybe the first Opeth album I would categorize as a creative misstep. The production and arrangements just don't gel with the music Mikael's wrote this time. The last two albums felt like very organic, this one feels like he is intentionally avoiding Metal out of stubbornness. This has turned me off of the album, but I'm starting to get over that so I can just enjoy the music. The songs do flow together better than Pale Communion, which felt like a bit of a hodgepodge, despite being superior overall. It has a consistent vibe and the individual songs are really strong. I hope they start playing more songs from it live because the production kills any raw energy the songs could have. At the end of the day, it's still Opeth and the music is still the same level of quality I expect from them. Lets just say my relationship with this album is complicated.

The bonus disc is good too. Some of the better orchestrations I've heard on an Opeth album. I also agree with @Cornfed Hick that Spring 1974 is awesome.

Favorite songs: Sorceress, The Wilde Flowers, Chrysalis, Strange Brew, Era

Oranssi Pazuzu - Värähtelijä: If Pink Floyd were a Black Metal band, this is what they would sound like. This is probably #11 in my ranking of albums this year, just barely missing the top ten. Partially because I just didn't get to spend as much time with it as I would've liked. This really blew me away though. There's a psychedelic quality to it but it's mixed with devastating riffing. This reminds me of early Opeth in a lot of ways. Not so much in the style of music, but in the ambition and energy. It's a young band with clearly a wide range of influences that has potential to do some really incredible things. Definitely going to be watching these guys.

Favorite songs: Saturaatio, Hypnotisoitu viharukous, Havuluu

Quilt - Plaza: Throwback music doesn't often interest me, but every now and then I find something worth listening to. This is another one that just barely missed my top ten. Very faithful 60's styled psychedelic rock. Lead singer is female but one of the male members shares lead vocal duties. Their voices mesh well together, being different enough that they contribute different textures but also not opposing each other to the point of distraction. Definitely recommend this if you're into 60's styled rock with female vocals.

Favorite songs: Hissing My Plea, Roller, Passerby, Your Island

Since people here are mentioning albums they've heard only few times anyway, I'll also throw in
Haken - Affinity
Circus Maximus - Havoc
The Rolling Stones - Blue and Lonesomet
Elton John - Wonderful Crazy Night
Fates Warning - Theories of Flight
Redemption - The Art of Loss
Headspace - All That You Fear Is Gone
Eric Clapton - I Still Do

because I honestly believe all are going to be growers. If EPs count, then Voivod - Post Society. The new Kate Bush live triple album is great too. So is Alive Again by The Neal Morse Band if we are talking about lives.

Have completely forgotten about the new Anthrax. Those are awesome indeed, but I haven't heard it since it has come out.

And yeah, throw in the Metallica for me. Possibly even Novembre - Ursa. I have the new Vai, Animals as Leaders, Hope for the Dying and Anciients albums, but I still haven't heard them. Same goes for the new Van Morrison CD and D.A.R.K. - Science Agrees (a new band with Dolores O'Riordan). From the Law Offices of Levin Minnemann Rudess is my next tip. Still not sure whether to buy the new Avantasia or the new Robbie Williams.

On the other hand, the new Riverside album/compilation bores me to death. But I probably walked into that one. Also I still don't really like the new Sabaton (if we talk about disappointments).

Back