Best Murray/Harris Song

What is your favorite Murray/Harris tune? Since Forostar started the Gers/Harris one, I'll stand up

• Twilight Zone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Still Life

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Deja-vu

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • The Prophecy

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Fates Warning

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Lightning Strikes Twice

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Nomad

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • The Thin Line Between Love and Hate

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • Age Of Inocence

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg

Votes: 17 22.7%

• Total voters

Powergirl81

Trooper
Like I said last night, I vote for Benjamin. But Still Life is an awesome track! I love Davey's intro! There are 6 other songs I could have included, but he wrote them w/Bruce and/or Blaze. And of course, Charlotte The Harlot was his only sole songwriting credit...he was only 23 back then!  :wub: *wishes she was born in '61 and not '81* Sorry  :blush:

My vote: Benjamin

The eerie intro. The simple yet ominous lyrics. The intense power chord riff. The fast progression. The dual blistering guitar solos.

Gotta love Lightning Strikes Twice!

Nomad goes second!

The Nomad.  It's really one of the best songs they've ever written.  It's perfect to suit the mood of the song...who would have thought a bunch of Englishmen could sound so bloody exotic when they try.

When I listened to The Nomad the first few times, I didn't really care for it. But after listening to the whole album and that song over and over, it's a killer song! Too bad Maiden didn't play it live...Davey's intro is killer! But that long instrumental part would kinda drag out at a show...does H play that buildup before the final verse?

Three words.

STILL.

FUCKING.

LIFE.

Kudos to Deja-Vu with its sheer catchiness and The Prophecy for its poignant beauty, but this song is quite possibly the best thing on Piece of Mind.  The intro solo is simply beautiful, and the initial verse is both enchanting and ominous.  The fact that the drum fill comes so suddenly in the middle of the measure really jars the system, and then you know that Maiden mean business, when that riff comes in.  The chorus is very creepy, and the entire section leading up to and including the solos is pure bliss.  It all flows so naturally, without the need to descend into pointless wankery.  The lyrics are very good as well, especially the final couplet, and the sudden end on 'Now we rest in peace!' is a brilliant way to finish the song.  What's that, Nicko? 'That was fuckin' great?' It sure was...it sure was...

Another list of excellent songs, but this time, I can even decide (barely). My vote goes for The Thin Line Between Love And Hate. It has got the best instrumental section of any Maiden song, inspired and inspiring lyrics, and a general feel to it that makes it special.
Second in my list would probably be The Nomad. I really love the instrumental section here too, and I suppose it was what got me into Maiden big time back when the album was released. The lyrics are a bit cheesy, but I have always loved that Bedouin theme, ever since I was a little kid. The only thing that dampens it for me a bit is that the instrumental section is completely ripped off from the song Life's Shadow by Beckett... but most of the time, I can forget that and let images of caravans and sand dunes appear in my mind.
The third place would go to Lightning Strikes Twice, for its eery atmosphere, the mysterious lyrics (come on, it's not really about a thunderstorm... how simple would that be?) and the general musical quality present in every track from Virtual Eleven.

without a second thought, I voted Nomad

I don't like so much the lyrics, but its music is enough for my vote here

Perun said:
Second in my list would probably be The Nomad. I really love the instrumental section here too, and I suppose it was what got me into Maiden big time back when the album was released.
I too love that instrumental section and would go as far as saying it is one of, if not the, best instrumental sections in any Maiden song.

I 4tht vote, Albie, Perun, and no5, it is one of the best instrumentals  :yey:

So is 7th Son!  :yey: Crank it up and let it go!  :D

My vote goes for The Thin Line Between Love And Hate. It has got the best instrumental section of any Maiden song, inspired and inspiring lyrics, and a general feel to it that makes it special.

+1. Great song and great album closer.

Raven said:
Three words.

STILL.

FUCKING.

LIFE.

Kudos to Deja-Vu with its sheer catchiness and The Prophecy for its poignant beauty, but this song is quite possibly the best thing on Piece of Mind.  The intro solo is simply beautiful, and the initial verse is both enchanting and ominous.  The fact that the drum fill comes so suddenly in the middle of the measure really jars the system, and then you know that Maiden mean business, when that riff comes in.  The chorus is very creepy, and the entire section leading up to and including the solos is pure bliss.  It all flows so naturally, without the need to descend into pointless wankery.  The lyrics are very good as well, especially the final couplet, and the sudden end on 'Now we rest in peace!' is a brilliant way to finish the song.  What's that, Nicko? 'That was fuckin' great?' It sure was...it sure was...

Spot on, bull's eye and amen to that. Agree on every single point except that I also want to give kudos to The Thin Line ... which is an excellent way to close an excellent album. But again, amen to Raven and my vote goes to Still Life.

My vote goes to Still Life. Lyrically it's one of Maiden's best, and it has that beautiful yet aggressive quality that I love about Maiden. 

The Nomad

I just love this song and the instrumental part is one of the best i have heard by any band.

Back