Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Brighter Than A Thousand Suns

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Burning Ambition

Votes: 19 35.8%

• Total voters

Lovro

Invader
The list includes all songs from Maiden`s 14 studio albums, no b-sides, except for songs such as Total Eclipse and Sanctuary, which were included in the 1998 re-releases of the albums. Since there are 134 songs, you have 7 votes.

Somebody finally took the time to make this poll.

I voted for Paschendale, Powerslave, Dream of Mirrors, Fear of the Dark, The Nomad, Brighter Than A Thousand Suns, and The Clansman.  Though it changes from time to time.  Why, you ask?  I am glad you asked.

Paschendale: Best song Maiden has done.  Period.  Paschenfuckingdale!

Powerslave: Love the riffs, love the lyrics, love the bass and the guitar...it's hard, it's fast, it's being played on this upcoming tour!

Dream of Mirrors: Surreal lyrics, gorgeous guitar sounds, amazing solos, and it just...sucks me in.  Every time.

Fear of the Dark: Fear of the dark!  Fear of the dark!  Fear of the dark! Fear of the darrrrrrrrrrk! Na-nananananana nana na na na na na nana nananana NA na naaanananananananaaa!

The Nomad: Helped me fall in love.  Plus the song rocks.

Brighter Than A Thousand Suns: I wish I could direct a music video for this song.  Seriously...it brings the most surreal fucking images to my mind...and I think you could make a stellar video.  Unfortunately, I think all that YouTube movie editing shit is a copout, so...

The Clansman: Amazing song, sounds awesome, wicked live, makes me want to overthrow my English overlords and moon Longshanks.

Well, I voted for Hallowed Be Thy Name, Powerslave, Seventh Son Of a Seventh Son, Judas Be My Guide, The Aftermath, The Nomad and Lord Of Light.

Hallowed Be Thy Name-one of my favorite songs in general. I must have heard it more than 200 times, but no matter how many times I listen to it, I can never get bored of it.

Powerslave-I remember the first time when I heard it. I couldn`t believe my ears. It`s so energetic, with the solos being, in my opinion, the climax of the song.

Seventh Son Of a Seventh Son-oooohh, I love that song. And I don`t like the studio version as much as I like the 1988 Monsters of Rock version.

Judas Be My Guide-even though I don`t like FOD, there are a few exceptions, with Judas being one of them. The song sounds much better than anything else from both FOD and NPFTD.

The Aftermath-wow. This is such a good song, both lyrically and musically. The solo is by far on of Maiden`s best, but I was a little disappointed when I heard the live version on The Angel And The Gambler single

The Nomad-I can`t find the words to explain how good this song is. Maybe above-spectacural.

Lord Of Light-I find AMOLAD a bit boring, but this song is quite different from the others. I like that it doesn`t start and end slowly, like most of the songs of the album, instead, it builds up into a fast and interesting song with a Hallowed Be Thy Name-like ending.

Actually, this is so tough a choice that I just had to pick 7 half-random songs from a group of 10-20 songs that could all qualify as favourite songs.

The songs were:

- Children of the damned. Goosebumps. Fantastic. I've listened to three different versions of it today  :) Those horror lyrics, H's kickass solo and the general mood of the song.

- Hallowed be thy name. I think I have explained some times earlier why I love this song. The word "overplayed" will, for me, never apply to the song, unless Maiden go on stage and play a show consisting of only this song played 15 times.

- Rime of the Ancient Mariner. A majestic way of transforming the poem into a heavy metal classic. And the build-up after the slow part? Absolutely brilliant.

- Infinite Dreams, great melodies, fine lyrics, nice solos, I like everything about this song.

- Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. The first half is good enough to qualify as a good song by Maiden standards. Then comes the slow part and when the distant power chords appear in the background the hairs raise on my back. Then the solos in the end - excellent.

- Paschendale. See the "Favourite song" thread.

- Brighter Than a Thousand Suns. Again, see the "Favourite song" thread, this one is not far behind Rime, Hallowed and Paschendale!

Songs I could have included if I could have more than 7 songs: Phantom of the Opera, Blood Brothers, Dream of Mirrors, Powerslave, Alexander the Great, Caught Somewhere In Time, The Clansman, Still Life, The Trooper, Afraid to shoot strangers, Sign of the Cross, Fortunes of War, Ghost of the Navigator, Only the Good Die Young ... help, I'm listing them all. My songs are too many, my list is too heavy. I'm sinking. Mayday, mayday.

Aaargh - I only managed to pick four before shaking my head and scrapping the lot.  This will require more thought methinks.....

Aaargh! #1: I never realized the possibility of so many poll options!!!  I could have done quite some polls in a better way, with this availability! :stupid:

Aaargh! #2: Cool poll, but so difficult. I can produce my favourite 10-15 songs, but to cut some away from these is very painful.

I'll give it a thought, and post later.

great effort Lovro !!  :ok:

phantom - the essence of early Maiden : tough as it gets, atmospheric, epic, genious !!
prisoner - I really like that one, the drums intro, the giant riffs, the spoken intro too  ;)
hallowed - wonderfull lyrics, decent melody, Maiden's most precious effort
powerslave - best Bruce's effort, including his solo carrier
rime - well is the oldest metal song that I know that introduces to us a diamond of romantic poetry with quotes from the poem.... and only for that it would had taken my vote
the evil that men do - a real classic, and one of Maiden lyric diamonds
paschendale - for many people the best effort of reunion era, for me too! this is the mother song of an entire album, the very enormous AMOLAD, so....

2341798.jpg

Well, I changed my mind and will choose now, so here goes. (Still this list could change any week. :/ )

1.Rime Of The Ancient Mariner (Rime-Of-The-Fucking-Ancient Mariner! ;) )

2. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (The threatening atmosphere is really amazing, the build-up of the song, with the heavy riffs and haunting guitar melodies really work!)

3. Powerslave (Poetry, darkness, power)

4. Infinite Dreams (Beautiful singing / lyrics)

5. Deja-Vu (Very catchy & dynamic song, I like everything about it)

6. The Trooper (Never bores me, I love the riffs and vocals – cool solos as well)

7. The Duellists (The guitar work in the mid piece, but also every other part, and other instruments and vocals, I find great to enjoy)

Honourable mentions (8-20 in no particular order):
Only The Good Die Young
Alexander The Great
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
Prowler
Aces High
To Tame A Land
Brave New World
Afraid To Shoot Strangers
The Evil That Men Do
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Children Of The Damned
The Unbeliever
Genghis Khan

@Eddies Wingman, I TOTALLY agree with your descriptions of ROTAM (build-up after slow part) and SSOASS (distant, echoing and fading powerchords)!

Tuff one...but the songs are:

Hallowed Be Thy Name
Flash of The Blade
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
Wasted Years
Infinite Dreams
The Prophecy
Blood Brothers

but my favourites change every day :p

I cannot possibly vote here until Virus is given the proper respect it deserves.  So please, can you add it to the list?

Alrighty, here's my list, but by no means definitive, as we all know, our favorite songs vary from year to year, month to month, week to week, day to day.

Wrathchild - My favorite early days song, always sounds great no matter who's singing it
Children Of The Damned - Love the lyrics, Bruce sings them with such passion and conviction, unbelievable
Hallowed Be Thy Name - Do I need to say why?
The Trooper - Dum Deediddledediddledediddle, great opening riff, great guitar work, great sing-along lyrics, 4 minutes and 11 seconds of Maiden perfection!
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner - If you're going to include a Steve Harris epic, then there's non better than this take on the Coledrige poem set to music, and wonderfully done too.
Ghost Of The Navigator - The pounding drums, the crashin guitars, almost makes you believe that you are lashed to the helm, blood surging through your veins.
Rainmaker - A great example of a sing-along-with Bruce. The guitar harmonies. Another short song (3:48) that is classic in every sense of the word. Perhaps Maidens best "Pop" song to date

Phantom Of the Opera: Great guitar playing throughout this song, very catchy intro riff and has great solos. Sounds even heavier and faster when played live.
The Trooper: Great riff, great lyrics, excellent in concert also.
Wasted Years: My favourite Maiden single, think Adrian Smith has a great knack of writing very catchy songs with great lyrics.
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son: Makes the hairs stand on the back of my neck, epic Harris written Maiden at its best.
Fear Of The Dark:Has to experienced at a concert to do it justice, songs sets a great atmosphere with the quiet start and builds from there.
Sign Of The Cross: I love the longer, more epic Maiden songs, with lots of different riffs and time changes going on and this song has them in abundance.
Paschendale: Think the greatness of this song has been well documented here already  ;)

Caught Somewhere In Time, Sea Of Madness, Stranger In A Strange Land, Deja Vu, Still Life, Rime Of The Ancient Mariner, Dance Of Death.

Dr Cox said:
Fear Of The Dark:Has to experienced at a concert to do it justice, songs sets a great atmosphere with the quiet start and builds from there.

The impact this song has on a concert crowd is surely something special. At the show in Bergen last year, the reaction when they were finished playing The Legacy and Fear Of The Dark started, was wilder than I had imagined. From some hands clapping and a fair portion of the crowd singing along, to everybody jumping and acting crazy ...

For me, the song isn't that great - when just listening to it at home, that is. Cool song, above average, but it is live this song comes to its right.

Genghis Khan said:
I cannot possibly vote here until Virus is given the proper respect it deserves.  So please, can you add it to the list?

If we want to be consequent:

What about Women In Uniform? Just like "Virus" and "Twilight Zone" it was a single, not featured on a Maiden album.  :)

Women in Uniform is a cover, though.  And we're not adding any covers.  The only reason I am adding Virus is because it is a studio-recorded track, a unique composition, released on an album, and has very much a feel to it like it should belong on an album.

PASCHENDALE-I love this song.  To me it has a lot of passion.  The story is incredible and I love the high parts in the song!

CHARLOTTE THE HARLOT-I like the punky sound of this song.  The lyrics crack me up.

THE PRISONER-I love the bass rocking beats and the drums.  A great head banging song on any occasion.

REVELATIONS-What a great song and lyric.  Bruce sounds so amazing, and I hope they play this live come Feb. in L.A.

STILL LIFE-I have always liked this song from the first time I heard it. 

TO TAME A LAND-So I picked 3 songs from Piece of Mind, what can I say, It was a great LP.

WASTED YEARS-I love this song!  Will H ever take the lead in vocals?  You just never know eh? 

LooseCannon said:
Women in Uniform is a cover, though.  And we're not adding any covers.  The only reason I am adding Virus is because it is a studio-recorded track, a unique composition, released on an album, and has very much a feel to it like it should belong on an album.

Women in Uniform is also a studio-recorded track, a single (A-side!), not released on an album (nor is Virus). If Aces High was a cover it would also be in this poll.

And you last sentence is a personal thing. I don't think it "should belong on an album". If I would make a poll "choose your favourite NOTB track and I would add Sun And Steel, because I say "it should belong on NOTB", wouldn't that be weird as well?

Apperently all singles are in this poll apart from Women in Uniform, so that's inconsequent.

Forostar said:
Women in Uniform is also a studio-recorded track, a single (A-side!), not released on an album (nor is Virus). If Aces High was a cover it would also be in this poll.

Well, Virus did get a parent release though (Best Of The Beast), so by all technicalities, it was released on an album.

Besides, Women In Uniform just sucks. :p

Anyway, Loosey is indeed inconsequent with his statement "we are not adding any covers". Bring Your Daughter... ...To The Slaughter was included, after all. For that matter, I have shamelessly abused my mod powers to include Women In Uniform, even though nobody will ever vote for it.

___

ANYWAY...
I voted for Hallowed Be Thy Name, The Evil That Men Do, Virus The Educated Fool, Out Of The Silent Planet, No More Lies and For The Greater Good Of God. I will explain these votes when I find more time to do so.

Back