BEST BAND EVER: Results!

I'm with NP on these two. Sometimes it's not always about 100% technical ability but how each musician uses their sound in the music. Dirk is a monster bassist, but until this game I've never heard a standout bass part in a Gamma Ray song. I'm not a huge Starr or Lynott fan, but they contribute a massive presence to their respective bands.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 46:
Dirk Schlächter
Billy Gould

Promoted after Round 46:
Mike Starr
Phil Lynott

Andreas Blomqvist (SEVENTH WONDER) vs. Chris Squire (YES)
vs.

Duff McKagan (GUNS 'N' ROSES, VELVET REVOLVER) vs. Sting (solo, THE POLICE)
vs.

Blomqvist vs. Squire - Unfair matchup. Blomqvist is cool. Haven't heard that band before so I was pretty impressed. But Squire is on another level even if I don't particularly like Yes.

McKagan vs. Sting - I honestly never really knew until this game how noticeable they were in their music... It's Sting.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 47:
Andreas Blomqvist
Duff McKagan

Promoted after Round 47:
Chris Squire
Sting

Chris Aylmer (SAMSON) vs. Lemmy (MOTÖRHEAD)
vs.

Bernard Edwards (CHIC) vs. Sean Malone (CYNIC, GORDIAN KNOT)
vs.

Lemmy will win this match as hell but I will do a good word for his opponent. You will not find anything like this in Bruce's disrespectful Samson takes in his bio and recent interviews. Don't believe Bruce when he says "the bass player just was there because he wanted to be there".

Aylmer was an important ingredient in the band. Check his clear sound in this clip. Love his Vice Versa work. Very nice hypnotizing bass, a cool constant factor in the song. The main riff is alternating with several nice melodic little motives.

Aylmer vs. Lemmy - Tough luck for Aylmer. He's a bit more noticeable on this recording but still doesn't come anywhere close to Lemmy's prowess.

Edwards vs. Malone - Don't like Chic's music at all. Cynic used to be great and had great bass playing.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 48:
Chris Aylmer
Bernard Edwards

Promoted after Round 48:
Lemmy
Sean Malone

Markus Grosskopf (HELLOWEEN) vs. Roger Waters (solo, PINK FLOYD)
vs.

Martín Méndez (OPETH) vs. Peter "Mars" Cowling (PAT TRAVERS)
vs.

1/16 finals start!

Alright, these are just mainly Pink Floyd vs Helloween votes. Bullshit.

And I tend to believe the same about the second pair.

He’s right about PF vs Helloween, though. Grosskopf is leagues ahead, but Floyd are, like the best band ever, like, you know, especially that song Wish You Were Here, you know, the feeling, “I’m 12 and I listen to this stuff, fuck Flo Rida, why couldn’t I have been born thirty years ago?” comments on YT and whatnot.

Ssssssh, come closer, lemme tell you a secret...
PINK FLOYD WERE FUCKING GREAT BUT NOT AS GREAT AS YOU PROBABLY THINK. THEY WERE VERY OBVIOUSLY FLAWED PEOPLE WHO ALSO RELEASED SOME REALLY QUESTIONABLE SHIT.

Yeah, bias, I say. Anybody voting for Waters in that particular pairing should have a very good reason to do so, because it really looks suspicious.

And I don’t even like Helloween all that much.

I thought songwriting was taken into account. It was in the guitarists game. I don't care for Waters as a bass player, but his songwriting is enough for me to vote for him over the bassist of a band that I dislike.

Floyd are, like the best band ever, like, you know, especially that song Wish You Were Here, you know, the feeling, “I’m 12 and I listen to this stuff, fuck Flo Rida, why couldn’t I have been born thirty years ago?” comments on YT and whatnot.

Strawman. Nobody here thinks like that.

PINK FLOYD WERE FUCKING GREAT BUT NOT AS GREAT AS YOU PROBABLY THINK. THEY WERE VERY OBVIOUSLY FLAWED PEOPLE WHO ALSO RELEASED SOME REALLY QUESTIONABLE SHIT.

Another strawman. Nobody here is a casual listener of music who goes by what the popular sentiment is. It's the fan forum of a rock band.

Last edited:
It’s a good point that Roger Waters would be out of place in our hypothetical virtual band, although I tend to not take that into account unless it’s really close or we are closer to the finals. I really like Waters’ writing but his bass playing on those Floyd albums was also an integral element. There’s a ton of space in his playing and a feel for groove. I don’t think I’ve ever noticed the bass in a Helloween song.

Yeah, the above comment sums up my thoughts. Helloween just doesn't scream "awesome bass stuff" to me. Pink Floyd, meanwhile, released albums where every member was integral to the overall piece, and I really like Waters on them.

Back