BEST BAND EVER: Results!

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 40:
Marco Hietala
Stuart Hamm

Promoted after Round 40:
Cliff Burton
Martin Turner

Michael Anthony (CHICKENFOOT, VAN HALEN) vs. Peter "Mars" Cowling (PAT TRAVERS)
vs.

John Paul Jones (LED ZEPPELIN) vs. Jonas Hellborg (solo, THE MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA)
vs.

Giving the lesser known guys pity votes. John Paul Jones is more than just a bass player though and would be an asset to any band. Assuming he wins this round, I may pull for him to win the whole thing (I reckon it's either him or Geddy).

Anthony vs. Cowling - Couldn't really find a Van Halen song where you can actually hear Anthony... so Cowling takes an easy victory, even though he's only slightly more noticeable.

Jones vs. Hellborg - I was close to voting for Jones before I realized the shredding was the bass guitar and not guitar guitar :p

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 41:
Michael Anthony
Jonas Hellborg

Promoted after Round 41:
Peter "Mars" Cowling
John Paul Jones

Jason Newsted (FLOTSAM & JETSAM, METALLICA, NEWSTED) vs. John Myung (DREAM THEATER)
vs.

Paul McCartney (solo, THE BEATLES) vs. Rinus Gerritsen (GOLDEN EARRING)
vs.

Myung can seriously groove.

More of an etude from his instructional video but still some cool licks in there.

1:15

1:48

I mean...these matchups are impossible. I love Jason Newsted and think he's one of the hardest working dudes in bass (plus I love his backing vocals), but pitting him against Myung? Fucking savage.

It was the right choice. Newsted has the backing vocals, the stage presence and a cool tone but his basslines mostly just follow the guitars. Not saying that's a bad thing to do but it does keep you from being a standout.

Holy fuck. Do some people out here even know Rinus Gerritsen, realize his importance or check the clip?
Rinus has a heavy, deep sound, and also some higher resonating sound. You really hear how important he was for influencing Steve Harris.

Last edited:
It was the right choice. Newsted has the backing vocals, the stage presence and a cool tone but his basslines mostly just follow the guitars. Not saying that's a bad thing to do but it does keep you from being a standout.
In Metallica, yeah. In the clip above, far from it.

Some more Rinus Gerritsen:

cool grooves

Great bass playing in this electric

and acoustic version:

Melodic playing!

Energetic bass solo!

Sabbatish stuff in 1969 - Everyday's Torture

And there's this nice melody in Vanilla Queen, which get repeated for a while but it works so well. Starts about here
Whole song

The famous ones, with important bass roles:
Radar Love
The Twilight Zone (live, 1986)

Last edited:
Myung and Macca. I like Rinus, but I like Macca's style better, I guess. Very minimalistic, just like pretty much all of the Beatles. Harrison also isn't my #1 guitarist, but I wish I could vote for him somehow someday.

Also, after listening to the Police today, I say we should have included Sting as well. We have had so many wankers here already (Novoselic) and the bloke is (well, at least used to be) really good, not a virtuoso, no, not by a long shot, but very tasty and enjoyable. I got through the whole Zenyatta Mondatta by mostly grooving to the bass alone.

Newsted vs. Myung - Yeah, Myung is probably better, but I'm gonna give Newsted a pity vote because until recently I had no idea how good he was before Metallica. They really ruined his talent.

McCartney vs. Gerritsen - I thought Gerritsen's playing was cooler. Also, might not have been a good idea to pit a 2 minute song against a 19 minute one. Didn't notice at first :p

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 42:
Jason Newsted
Rinus Gerritsen

Promoted after Round 42:
John Myung
Paul McCartney

Markus Grosskopf (HELLOWEEN) vs. Michael Lepond (SYMPHONY X)
vs.

John Entwistle (THE WHO) vs. Tony Choy (ATHEIST, CYNIC)
vs.

As it is, this is a fairly harder round because all four are kinda in the same boat for me - good but not the greatest of all time. I went with Grosskopf and Choy in the end, just a bit better but it could've gone either way.

Back