BEST BAND EVER: Results!

I like Hughes very much, both as a bassist and as a singer, I like most of his stuff and his era in Deep Purple might be my favourite one. But Hammond is a monster. Vote for the Tull rhythm section there.

The second pair is not fair at all. Levin is so many miles ahead he's already around the globe and behind Labadie again so it might even look like he's losing… and I even rather like Gojira myself. But it's Tony all the way.

First match is tough. I definitely admire everything Hammond is doing in what has been posted and he's clearly incredibly talented. But I like Hughes' music far better and if he's in the band there's a chance he'll sing, so, Hughes.

Also Levin, no contest.

@CriedWhenBrucieLeft you might like this sillyness (Primus anno 1974). Vocals by bassist Jeffrey Hammond.

Cecil is a clever sea lion
Cecil sometimes swims
And often sits
(And balances multicolored striped balls?)
Yes, balances multicolored striped balls

Clever Cecil

(Cecil is a sea lion)

And the hilarious The Story of The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles (voice again by bassist Jeffrey Hammond!)
Includes the funniest pronounciation of the word "bee", ever.

Hughes vs. Hammond - I voted for Hughes because Hammond's song was very boring plus the production was shit so I couldn't hear what he was playing. Also checked out some other songs that Foro posted, but still, my vote goes to Hughes.

Labadie vs. Levin - That is the only song I could find where I could hear bass in Gojira's music. Well, on the 3 albums of theirs that I like. So Levin it is. Would've been unfair to put LTE in this matchup :p

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 38:
Jeffrey Hammond
Jean-Michel Labadie

Promoted after Round 38:
Glenn Hughes
Tony Levin

Bryan Beller (JOE SATRIANI, STEVE VAI, THE ARISTOCRATS) vs. Roger Glover (DEEP PURPLE, RAINBOW)
vs.

Carol Kaye (solo) vs. Geezer Butler (BLACK SABBATH, HEAVEN & HELL)
vs.

Man, that's really unfair. I love all four. I'll probably go with Beller in the first pair, but the second one... o_O

Technically Beller and Kaye

Geezer snd Glover are legends of rawk though. Hard to say.

But could any of them play this....

This round sucks, but Geezer and Glover are the only correct choices. I really liked Carol Kaye though.

Beller for pure insanity on the bass, though this was not an easy choice.

On the other hand, an incredibly easy vote for Geezer. He might be the most perfect metal/hard rock bassist ever. His playing is rhythmic and restrained while also filling in the sonic holes exactly when he’s needed with absolute perfection.

I love Geezer's bass playing. Since he will win immensely I am giving Kaye the pity vote. A pleasure to hear her bass lines as well but not featured on such great music as Butler's.

Beller vs. Glover - Glover is cool, but I think Beller is more skilled. Never heard of The Aristocrats before. Pleasant but totally unmemorable music... why can't bands like this write proper songs with vocals instead?

Kaye vs. Butler - Not even a contest, Butler played on arguably the first heavy metal record and is regarded as one of the best metall bass players ever. Kaye was only ever a session, mostly uncredited musician.

Never heard of The Aristocrats before. Pleasant but totally unmemorable music... why can't bands like this write proper songs with vocals instead?

Because they're a jazz fusion band.

Kaye vs. Butler - Not even a contest, Butler played on arguably the first heavy metal record and is regarded as one of the best metall bass players ever. Kaye was only ever a session, mostly uncredited musician.

So your criteria is popularity? o_O

Geezer can write awesome lyrics though. Like when rhymes masses with ... (checks lyrics to War Pigs) ... masses.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 39:
Bryan Beller
Carol Kaye

Promoted after Round 39:
Roger Glover
Geezer Butler

Cliff Burton (METALLICA) vs. Marco Hietala (NIGHTWISH, TAROT)
vs.

Martin Turner (WISHBONE ASH) vs. Stuart Hamm (solo, JOE SATRIANI)
vs.

Burton vs. Hietala - No contest. Marco is a great performer and singer but his music never really has a place for bass. Cliff made a pretty decent instrumental with bass as the lead instrument.

Turner vs. Hamm - Wasn't familiar with either of them, and honestly didn't really enjoy either of these songs. Went with Hamm.

Unfortunately I had to vote for Cliff Burton. I love Marco, but his bass playing really doesn't matter. If he was up against someone else it would have been easier, but either way I'd just be voting for his voice.

Also Hamm cause his work with Satch was always solid.

Back