BEST BAND EVER: Results!

Helloween isn't half as fast as a lot of the music I listen to and guess what! I actually hear the bass in them!

You may prefer Waters of course.

But sorry guys, I find it very ignorant to deny Grosskopf presence in Helloween's music. Either that is plain denial, either inability.

You guys do not hear him, but it's simply not true that he can hardly be heard. It's only your "reality". Grosskopf is more present in music than most other bassists in any other fast (speed or power) metal band. Most bassists simply copy guitar lines/chords. He plays his own melodies. You don't care, fine. But you can't deny it, sorry.

Last edited:
For the sake of creating an interesting band I would have to pick Waters as well. I think he would have more to offer to the songwriting/compositions in a supergroup. Nothing bad to say about Grosskopf but there's a million other metal bassists like him.

You guys do not hear him, but it's simply not true that he can hardly be heard. It's only your "reality". Grosskopf is more present in music than most other bassists in any other fast (speed or power) metal band. Most bassists simply copy guitar lines/chords. He plays his own melodies. You don't care, fine. But you can't deny it, sorry.
For this thing, I've been listening to the music and really trying to hear that bass. I did, and I still think Waters is better.

I thought songwriting was taken into account. It was in the guitarists game. I don't care for Waters as a bass player, but his songwriting is enough for me to vote for him over the bassist of a band that I dislike.

Sure, that's a valid remark. Though, well, in the past I also thought we were taking into consideration the very people as well and I really wouldn't wish upon anyone to be in a band with Waters, whether they realise it or not.

Strawman. Nobody here thinks like that.
Another strawman. Nobody here is a casual listener of music who goes by what the popular sentiment is. It's the fan forum of a rock band.

This is true, but when you see THIS

Waters.jpg

in the poll in the very beginning, I think you're kinda forgiven for starting to see strawmen everywhere.

And again, I'm not really a Helloween fan, nor a Floyd denigrator. It's just when I put two songs mostly built on their respective base players (and possibly the best in the catalogue of the respective band, base-wise, though I wouldn't really want to reach that far) , let's see... Ride the Sky and Money, for example (or Hey You instead of the latter, if you don't want to be obvious), I definitely can see people picking one over another, but this landslide makes me think there's a band bias, just like it made Foro think the same.

Pink Floyd, meanwhile, released albums where every member was integral to the overall piece

Really? Surely you mean Gilmour and Wright, don't you? Anyway, let's argue some more about the individual assets of the various members of the possibly least technically gifted 70's prog band, bar maybe Fruupp ('cause even Genesis had both Banks and Hackett for some time). Again, not to put them down too much, but the Floyd band was definitely bigger than the sum of its parts. Yep, they crafted psychological masterpieces, but put them against Yes or Gentle Giant music-wise and... well... But yeah, in their way, they were geniuses and I don't use the term lightly.

Paradoxically, I wouldn't be against it so much if we were talking singers. Because the brutal masterpiece of Don't Leave Me Now is more or less 50/50 Wright and Waters's vocal delivery.

Anyway, I hope we won't get to a Novoselic vs Butler duel, because then I'd probably flip my shit.

Grosskopf vs. Waters - Personally I think Grosskopf is just as talented as Waters on bass, but Waters had more space to showcase it in his music. Pity vote for Grosskopf.

Méndez vs. Cowling - Méndez only got a bit more space in Opeth's music once they gave up on metal. He was always a pretty good bass player though. Didn't care for Cowling's performance here tbh.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 49:
Markus Grosskopf
Peter "Mars" Cowling

Promoted after Round 49:
Roger Waters
Martín Méndez

Geddy Lee (RUSH) vs. Victor Wooten (solo, BÉLA FLECK & THE FLECKTONES)
vs.

Flea (RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS) vs. Marcus Miller (solo, DAVID SANBORN, LUTHER VANDROSS, MILES DAVIS)
vs.

Yup. Voting for the jazz guys mostly out of pity, although I probably do genuinely prefer Wooten to Geddy. Painful choice though

Lee vs. Wooten - Both of these pairs are easy for me, mostly because I just don't care for jazz and will always favour the more conventional rock approach to bass. Wooten is good though.

Flea vs. Miller - Same as the previous pair... but man, that RHCP song is so monotone.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 50:
Victor Wooten
Marcus Miller

Promoted after Round 50:
Geddy Lee
Flea

Chris Squire (YES) vs. Roger Glover (DEEP PURPLE, RAINBOW)
vs.

Joey Vera (ARMORED SAINT, FATES WARNING) vs. Sting (solo, THE POLICE)
vs.

Squire vs. Glover - Squire does more complex stuff, but I really didn't enjoy Yes' song... so I'm going with Glover.

Vera vs. Sting - I liked the Armored Saint song more, but Sting had a better performance on The Police song.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 51:
Chris Squire
Sting

Promoted after Round 51:
Roger Glover
Joey Vera

David Ellefson (MEGADETH) vs. John Entwistle (THE WHO)
vs.

Bootsy Collins (BOOTSY'S RUBBER BAND, PARLIAMENT-FUNKADELIC) vs. Lemmy (MOTÖRHEAD)
vs.

Back