BEST BAND EVER: Results!

Wow. The first pairing is brutal and I'm gonna have to think a lot on that one.

However I know I'm definitely going to vote for the Ox. He's one of the most amazing fellows we had here so far.

And forget My Generation and give this one a spin instead:

One of the best beginnings to a song I know.

Also, his idiosyncratic approach to songwriting is something to be mentioned, both in the Who and in his solo career. Some really darkly humorous stories and, well, to quote Starostin's review of Whistle Rymes: "The "Seventies Entwistle" formula is in full flight here. Not entirely serious, not entirely sarcastic, full of near-ridiculous bombast and sleazy to the extreme. Listen to this stuff and you get the impression of a concept album about a neurotic, paranoid, wimpy, ludicrous, Woody Allen-type guy with a sexual complex bigger than this whole page."

Markus Grosskopf's playing ought to be a pleasure to Maiden fans. This guy possesses a phenomenal combination of speed and melodic feel. One of the best and most original bass players I've heard in metal. He weaves catchy patterns through the music, playing his own melody bass instead of just copying the rhythm guitar. That clearly contributes to Helloween's own identity. Definitely my favourite bassist from the European continent.

Grosskopf vs. Lepond - Really not a competition considering how prominent Grosskopf is in Helloween music and how I struggled to find an audible performance from Lepond in Symphony X music... Although he might be more prominent in his solo projects.

Entwistle vs. Choy - Not really a big fan of jazzy stuff Choy comes up with, although he's a great bass player... but Entwistle is a legend anyway.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 43:
Michael Lepond
Tony Choy

Promoted after Round 43:
Markus Grosskopf
John Entwistle

Bootsy Collins (BOOTSY'S RUBBER BAND, PARLIAMENT-FUNKADELIC) vs. Justin Chancellor (TOOL)
vs.

D. D. Verni (OVERKILL) vs. David Ellefson (MEGADETH)
vs.

I'm actually quite interested to see how far Ellefson will go. He's quite an underrated player and pretty important to the Megadeth sound.

Collins vs. Chancellor - I honestly don't like the music of either of these musicians... I like some Tool songs but I just don't get all the hype surrounding them. That being said it's still more listenable than the funk/jazz thing that Collins plays.

Verni vs. Ellefson - Megadeth is a better band but Overkill uses bass way more and Verni is a better bass player.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 44:
Justin Chancellor
D. D. Verni

Promoted after Round 44:
Bootsy Collins
David Ellefson

James Jamerson (THE FUNK BROTHERS) vs. Victor Wooten (solo, BÉLA FLECK & THE FLECKTONES)
vs.

Geddy Lee (RUSH) vs. Gene Simmons (KISS)
vs.

First time I haven't had to think twice about these. Geddy and Victor are in my top 5.

Sorry for the delay. I've been super busy lately, but things should get back on track now, at least for some time.

Jamerson vs. Wooten - Wooten and it's not even close. Didn't care for Jamerson's performance on his song.

Lee vs. Simmons - Again, not even close, Geddy Lee is way better.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 45:
James Jamerson
Gene Simmons

Promoted after Round 45:
Victor Wooten
Geddy Lee

Dirk Schlächter (GAMMA RAY) vs. Mike Starr (ALICE IN CHAINS)
vs.

Billy Gould (FAITH NO MORE) vs. Phil Lynott (THIN LIZZY)
vs.

Schlächter vs. Starr - Schlächter doesn't do much usually in Gamma Ray. In this song he is more prominent than usually... but Starr takes this one due to being a major part of AIC's sound.

Gould vs. Lynott - No contest really, Lynott is way better.

Back