BEST BAND EVER: Results!

I think Guthrie Govan is the single most technically developed guitarist in the world. And dude has a lot to say in his guitar clinics.

I think Guthrie Govan is the single most technically developed guitarist in the world. And dude has a lot to say in his guitar clinics.

I'd agree with that, he's insanely versatile. I know the motive of the game is to just pick the favorite people in their respective instruments regardless of fit, but if you actually wanted to assemble a band that would produce work, Guthrie would be a great choice. He'll kill it in any genre.

Govan is like Shawn Lane: a stupidly good guitarist that most people have never heard of. Do you like their music or want them in this band? Dunno.

But to answer your question: Buckethead.
His work with SW has given him a lot more exposure, he's surpassed Shawn Lane's popularity by a pretty wide margin I'd say.

There is a difference between playing well and playing (on) music that appeals to me. His discography does not look appealing.
Buckethead's discography does. As does music from all guys I do not (easily) vote for. Music first, then playing ability.

Voted for Andrew Latimer (what I heard from Camel was OK, but tough competiton here), Duane Allman (not really into The Allman Brothers Band), Ewan Dobson (never heard of him), Jack Thammarat (never heard of him), John McLaughlin (heard some Mahavishu Orchestra stuff, really not my cup of tea), Keith Richards (I like The Rolling Stones, but he was never a particularly great guitarist), Mike Oldfield (not really a fan of his music), Plamen Uzunov (I like Project Arcadia but tough competition), Robb Flynn (poser) and Warren Haynes (not really into The Allman Brothers Band).

Angus Young
Chuck Schuldiner
Duane Allman
Ewan Dobson
Jack Thammarat
John McLaughlin
Keith Richards
Mike Oldfield
Plamen Uzunov
Robb Flynn

Allman is 50 percent responsible for this, which, on its own puts him ahead of several guys on this list.

Allman is 50 percent responsible for this, which, on its own puts him ahead of several guys on this list.

I like the rhythm guitars the most! For some reason the riff sounds as an inspiration for this. Quite different but is has similar mood/sound and some chords.

For some reason the riff sounds as an inspiration for this. Quite different but is has similar mood/sound and some chords.

Agreed. An even better song by an even better player. Although I prefer the Live Alchemy version.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 17:
Mike Oldfield - 11 votes
Plamen Uzunov - 11 votes
Robb Flynn - 11 votes

Voted for Andrew Latimer, Duane Allman, Ewan Dobson, Jack Thammarat, John McLaughlin, Keith Richards and Warren Haynes.

Angus Young
Chuck Schuldiner
Duane Allman
Ewan Dobson
Gary Moore
Jack Thammarat
John McLaughlin
Keith Richards

I want to vote but don't really want to trawl through Youtube looking for clips representative of some of these guitarists in action

Back