BEST BAND EVER: Results!

I feel like Kevin Moore is quite underrated. Learning to Live has definitely one of my all time favorite keyboard performances. Well, Images & Words is full of those.

I will always vote against everything The Doors
Why?

So in the first pair, I'm going with Manzarek. Paich is obviously a great composer and a keyboardist, but while picking a song to showcase his chops, I struggled because he usually played with another keyboardist in the band and it was hard to discern who played what. Manzarek has a way more distinct and unique (for that era) sound.

In the 2nd pair... Kevin Moore, of course. I do quite like Sven's performance on that Evergrey album though. Another great album he performed on is Soilwork's Natural Born Chaos, where he also had quite a cool performance.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 140:
David Paich
Sven Karlsson

Promoted after Round 140:
Ray Manzarek
Kevin Moore

Don Airey (DEEP PURPLE, RAINBOW)
vs.
Roddy Bottum (FAITH NO MORE)

Bob Katsionis (FIREWIND)
vs.
Martin Brändström (DARK TRANQUILLITY)

Eh, I don't care about anyone in this round all that much. Possibly most about Roddy Bottum and even with him it's a rather lukewarm appreciation.

So it's Roddy and... Brändström has a nicer tone, I guess?

Don Airey played in bigger and more influential bands, but he himself was never particularly influential or unique, so going with Bottum.

Also, it's been years since I actively listened to Firewind and apart from solos, I misremembered how much Katsionis actually played keyboards and not rhythm guitar. Brändström it is.

Airey for a more conservative and subtle approach to keyboards in guitar based music. Faith No More really hover on the edge of pop with plasticky and very synthetic keyboard sound.

Brändström. This is playing that works extremely well with the music, neither swamps it with warm and fluffy saccharine ambience, nor goes off at a tiddly diddly keyboard wankery tangent. Not as keen on what Katsionis brings to Firewind.

Is that bloke from Children of Bodom going to be in this game?

Faith No More really hover on the edge of pop with plasticky and very synthetic keyboard sound.
Shame he picked the stuff from The Real Thing, which is really the most overrated and annoying FNM album.
Beginning with Angel Dust, their sound overall became much better

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 141:
Roddy Bottum
Bob Katsionis

Promoted after Round 141:
Don Airey
Martin Brändström

Neal Morse (solo, SPOCK'S BEARD, TRANSATLANTIC)
vs.
Richard Wright (PINK FLOYD)

Martin Powell (CRADLE OF FILTH, MY DYING BRIDE)
vs.
Michael Pinnella (SYMPHONY X)

Back