BEST BAND EVER: Results!

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
Welcome to the Best Band Ever game!

We're starting the game by choosing the best guitarists first. After that, we'll choose the best bassist, drummer, and vocalist, in that order. This band won't have a keyboardist because I can't be arsed making a list of them too, and I already have the other 4 lists finished :p

Format:
First I'll divide the 100 nominated guitarists into 5 random groups of 20, and there'll be 8 guitarists promoted from each group. Afterwards, the remaining 64 guitarists will battle it out knockout style. In the first part, you'll vote for your least favorites (number of guitarists remaining-8=number of guitarists you can vote for), in the knockout phase you'll vote for your favorites in each match. Most of these selections will be random (might make up some seeds for the knockout phase though), so sorry if there are two huge favorites going against each other early in the game :p

In each round, you can post videos and stuff to promote your favorite musicians and try to get them to victory.

My votes:

Don't listen to B.B. King, Buckethead, Django Reinhardt, Jeff Beck, Tony MacAlpine or Yngwie Malmsteen.
James Hetfield is great for Metallica but isn't really anything special out of context. Same for Malcolm Young. Michael Wilton, Roland Grapow and Roy Z are all great guitarists but the competition is tough. And because of the Dio feud I kind of don't like Vivian Campbell. I know it doesn't have anything to do with his skills on guitar, but fuck him anyway.

Tough competition :p I heard almost everything the 8 guitarists I didn't vote for released, really doubt that listening to the 6 I never listened to would make me change my votes. Although, as I said, if someone posts videos I'll listen to them :)

Tried to avoid voting for guitarists I don't know, plenty to choose from that I don't care for.

This is hard because I'm not familiar with half of these guitarists, but I really don't think it's fair to vote against them because of that.

EDIT: Although I may end up having to vote tactically in order to save someone I DO like, like Jerry Cantrell...

Also is the voting supposed to be based strictly on talent? Or should we take things like songwriting ability, stage presence/showmanship, career success, longevity, etc. into consideration?

I honestly have no idea who to vote for. I'll be back when it's slimmed down a bit.

And because of the Dio feud I kind of don't like Vivian Campbell. I know it doesn't have anything to do with his skills on guitar, but fuck him anyway.
...unless I read BS like this. One of the greatest guitar gods ever! :mad:

This is hard because I'm not familiar with half of these guitarists, but I really don't think it's fair to vote against them because of that.
It's impossible for anyone here to know all 100 guitarists though, I think it's fair.

Also is the voting supposed to be based strictly on talent? Or should we take things like songwriting ability, stage presence/showmanship, career success, longevity, etc. into consideration?
Your choice :p Whatever you define as "best" :p

It might have been nice to have a selected video/solo for each, otherwise we're basing it all on personal familiarity or whatever Youtube throws at us first. Mind you, 100 guitarists would have made it a lot of work.

I'm going to vote for Yngwe until he dies of downvotes, and then I'm halting my play because everyone else rocks.

1. Alex Skolnick
  2. B.B. King
  3. Brent Hinds
  4. Dan Swanö
  5. James Hetfield
  6. Jeff Beck
  7. Jerry Cantrell
  8. John Petrucci
  9. Malcolm Young
  10. Michael Wilton
  11. Pete Townshend
  12. Tony MacAlpine

Campbell is an absolute joy to the ears. Brilliant, adventurous guitar work on the Dio albums.

Grapow's solos in 1989-2000 Helloween are very good. Check e.g. this one for example. Or this (first solo). More:
click
click
click

Also his riffs (and songwriting). Certainly brought the songs in that era to a higher level.

Last edited:
My votes:
Hinds
Dan Swanö (never been an EoS fan)
Hetfield (yep, he's the pillar that makes Metallica listenable throughout the years and its most talented members, but ... no)
Malcolm Young
Pete Townshend (I respect him and his contributions to rock music and he's an absurdly talented songwriter, but as a guitarist he's really not comparable to the others)
Roy Z (again, talented, but not comparable to the others)
Campbell (like his work with Dio, but he's not my favourite in general)

Next in line would be probably Wilton and Grapow.

YT links

Reinhardt - I bet you never heard the French hymn done like this

Randomly chosen link by MacAlpine

And random Beck

Yngwie

(is it just me or is he channeling Gary Moore here? I mean specifically Bad News)

Back