BEST BAND EVER: Results!

I don't think the poll options are correct.

Anyway, once that's fixed, I'm voting for Morse and Pinnella. Wright is good and I suspect he's going to win ('cause Floyd bias, duh), this time it's Neal all the way for me.

So I went with Wright. Obviously, I heard way more Pink Floyd than whatever Neal Morse made in his multitude of bands, but Wright is one of the most influential keyboardists ever. Shouldn't even be a close match.

Powell did some cool stuff for MDB, but Pinnella is a virtuoso.

Oh my god. I went away and listened to a bit of other Morse stuff and it had the Rush effect. Too busy, too sunny, too exuberant. I always suspected I'd vote for Wright, but didn't think the decision would be this easy. Excellent keyboardist, such a massive part of Pink Floyd's music.

I really like the subtle atmosphere Powell brings to My Dying Bride's music. Symphony X...again, a bit busy, a bit tinkly.

Incidentally, I just listened to a preview track from a My Dying Bride EP coming out in November (Powell long since gone from the band, though,) and it's good stuff. It's a band I tend to find slightly uninspiring verging on dull, but I like their newer stuff. Comes from the same stable as Paradise Lost - probably literally, I know what West Yorkshire's like. Currently listening through their last album, which came out earlier this year.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 142:
Neal Morse
Martin Powell

Promoted after Round 142:
Richard Wright
Michael Pinnella

Ian McDonald (FOREIGNER, KING CRIMSON)
vs.
Rick Wakeman (YES)

Jens Johansson (DIO, RAINBOW, STRATOVARIUS)
vs.
Stian Aarstad (DIMMU BORGIR)

Jens Johansson is a fantastic and criminally underrated keyboardist. The golden era of Stratovarius started that very moment when he joined.

I might be the resident Dad-rock connoisseur (and I actually like early Foreigner), but even I won't be voting for McDonald over Wakeman. Sure, In the Court of Crimson King is the one album of a whole generation, but Wakeman is more overall consistent (and played on Close to the Edge, which might be the one song of a whole generation).

And yes, Johansson. Dimmu Borgir ain't the best in pretty much anything..

I listened to that whole Yes song and honestly it's pure torture for me. I don't like the production, the vocals, the riffs... nothing. I don't think they are a bad band or bad musicians, far from it. I just can't get into them, and I've listened quite a lot of their songs in various games here. Some keyboard parts were cool in the calmer section, but that's it. So a vote for Ian McDonald purely for his performance on that King Crimson album.

King Crimson have again removed (most of their) songs from YouTube, so fucking annoying... I posted the studio version of In The Court Of The Crimson King, btw.

As for the 2nd pair, Jens is one of the best metal keyboardists ever... maybe the best one. This other guy only played on a few albums in the 90's before disappearing from the scene. Good performance on that song though.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 143:
Ian McDonald
Stian Aarstad

Promoted after Round 143:
Rick Wakeman
Jens Johansson

Gregg Allman (THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND)
vs.
Tony Banks (GENESIS)

Janne Warman (CHILDREN OF BODOM)
vs.
Santeri Kallio (AMORPHIS)

I suspect Gregg is going to lose in this round, but I damn sure have to vote for him ... 'cause he's helped to contribute to the sweetest sound my ears have ever known...

Much prefer really magical sounding 70s prog keys to fairgroundy type organ, so Banks gets vote 1. Much as I really like Amorphis' keyboards, I seriously enjoy what Warman brings to CoB. Some great link ups between keyboard and lead guitar which form a very central feature of Bodom's music. Warman.

Honestly... I wasn't too impressed with neither Allman and Banks... Went with Allman just to give him a fighting chance. As for the 2nd pair, both really competent players, Warman probably a bit more technical (as are CoB, or at least as they used to be in the early days), but went with Kallio as he's a songwriter and while he keeps it simple he has more of an influence on Amorphis' sound than Warman had in CoB.

10th voter, please vote. I'll even accept mail-in votes and will count them faster than Nevada and Philadelphia.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 144:
Gregg Allman
Janne Warman

Promoted after Round 144:
Tony Banks
Santeri Kallio

Garth Hudson (THE BAND)
vs.
Geoff Downes (ASIA, YES)

Christian Lorenz (RAMMSTEIN)
vs.
Tuomas Holopainen (NIGHTWISH)

Fuck man, Flake vs Tuomas is the matchup from hell. They’re both absolute beasts. But Tuomas would be my pick to win this whole round so I’m (painfully) voting for him.

Back