BEST BAND EVER: Results!

Lifeson vs. Van Halen - Probably gonna be a blasphemous result but whatever. EVH is a way more revolutionary and innovative guitarist, while Lifeson is more technical. Rush is also a better band. But still, Eddie Van Halen all the way.

Tipton vs. Åkerfeldt - I think Mikael is way more consistent and I generally like his tone and style way more than Tipton's. He's gonna lose, but whatevs.

May vs. Moore - Moore all the way, but May is a better songwriter.

Mustaine vs. Satriani - Pity vote for Mustaine since Satriani is gonna annihilate him despite never making a memorable song :p

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 27:
David Gilmour

Biggest farce in Maidenfans history.

Lifeson
Åkerfeldt
Moore
Mustaine

That last match was the hardest, and while I admit that Satch is more talented, Dave Mustaine has written/performed much more music that I actually listen to.

Tipton-Åkerfeldt and Mustaine-Satriani were difficult calls for me.

Åkerfeldt is the mastermind of my favorite band so he has the writing edge going for him. Think his lead playing gets underrated because of his work as a songwriter and vocalist, too. He has that 70s Andrew Latimer type melodic approach to his playing that I love. Love Tipton's playing as well and he has written more memorable solos such as Beyond the Realms of Death, Dreamer Deceiver and Painkiller. Voted for Mike in the end but wouldn't be too upset if Glenn advanced.

Mustaine-Satriani is a curious one because Satriani is clearly a superior player but Mustaine's writing is much more appealing to me. Went with Satriani simply because I think Mustaine is a lousy lead player. He's a one-trick pony, all of his solos consist of rapid rhythmic runs on the pentatonic scale. Fantastic rhythm player though, so again, I wouldn't be too upset if he came out on top.

Satch doesn't have a large following here so pity voting against him just doesn't make sense. I didn't doubt for a moment that it would be close between him and Mustaine.
Flash summed him up: great rhythm player, poor lead player.

Check out the first Chickenfoot album. It's Satriani in a band context and it works perfectly. He's a great writer.

Back