BEST BAND EVER: Results!

Petrucci vs. Romeo - Petrucci is better. He's more diverse musically and a better songwriter.

Gilbert vs. Blackmore - Blackmore easily. He hasn't recorded anything worth mentioning in like 30 years but just Stargazer is enough to put him in Top 10 of this game, plus he has so much more great material in the 1970's.

Buckethead vs. Gilmour - Believe it or not, voting for Buckethead here. Sure, Gilmour played one of the best solos ever on Comfortably Numb, but, like Brian May, I see him more as a great musician than a great guitarist.

Downing vs. Iommi - Not even a competition, Iommi pretty much invented heavy metal.

I have a strong feeling that John Petrucci is going to win the whole thing. I think the final two will be him and Alex Lifeson.

I doubt it. I feel like the ‘Trucci is going to get his ass kicked by somebody.

This guy?

attachment.php

Who's gonna kick that guy's ass?

If Gilmour exits this early, this game will be the biggest farce in Maidenfans history.

That's equivalent to Hallowed Be Thy Name not making the Top 10 in a Maiden Survivor.

It was a close round for me. As much as I've wanted to love Gilmour, he hasn't clicked with me to an extent where I'd call myself a fan. I've heard more material from Buckethead that I've enjoyed but I understand the farce complaints.

I have always liked Gilmour and I'll be the first to say that he's not only an exceptional guitarist, but he actually manages to break on through to real greatness. However, pretty much like any great guitarist/musician/band, he tends to be rather overrated by the general public. I might even agree with Starostin that some of the moments on Time are unique not only to Floyd, but to mankind, but that still doesn't make the bloke as great as some of the more rabid Floyd fans make him out to be. When pitched against Bucky, I'd be quite okay with him losing, and that's coming from someone who's really far from being a Buckehead fan.

Buckethead is capable of everything Gilmour does and more

It's not about what you can do, it's about what you have done. Buckethead can play everything Gilmour has. But he hasn't come up with them and he doesn't play like Gilmour. Simple as that.

Gilmour's playing is one of a kind. You might emulate him, but you'll never sound like him. His touch on the instrument is uncanny. He's written some of the most memorable lead melodies in rock history. Can't say the same for Buckethead.

What I said isn’t about technical ability or emulation though. Buckethead wins on versatility. He can play the emotional melodic leads. He has a fantastic unique tone.

I don’t care that Buckethead hasn’t written some of the most memorable leads in rock history. This isn’t a popularity contest. He has plenty of leads that are just as melodic and memorable as Gilmour.

I mean, 300+ albums, not to mention all the cameos and side-projects and what-have-you... you'll find something memorable in there, and maybe even find something that can beat anything that Gilmour has ever done.

Pink Floyd is great and they wouldn't be the same without Gilmour, but Buckethead is Buckethead - an insanely talented and versatile guitarist. Give him a genre of music and he'll play it. Gilmour can only really do Floyd-ian stuff.

Back