BEST BAND EVER: Results!

I guess I'm curious who you guys (especially cried, foro, and diesel) consider pure shredders. If Yngwie is the gold standard, who's the competition? If it's really Batio then yea I can see Diesel's point.

I guess I'm curious who you guys (especially cried, foro, and diesel) consider pure shredders.
I'm not really fussed on what makes a 'pure shredder'. My opinion - you either shred or you don't. And either way it's coolio. :p

I guess I'm curious who you guys (especially cried, foro, and diesel) consider pure shredders. If Yngwie is the gold standard, who's the competition? If it's really Batio then yea I can see Diesel's point.
I haven't voted in this round (the alternative would be to do a Brigs) because I'm not really familar enough with some of the names up there. Ain't going to do a NP & just vote for guys I don't listen to. I'm going to guess that lots of technical players can shred; but obviously you're not really going to count them as shredders unless they show a propensity to shred reasonably often; either on record or live. I mean, unsurprising choice coming from me, but Buckethead is an obvious example. Who else puts out tracks that are literally 20 minutes long of just flat-out soloing? He can play very, very fast; does lots of tapping nonsense & the odd bit of sweeping. Shredding is basically boredom-inducing (for those who only have a passing interest in guitar solos) widdly widdly soloing nonsense.

Can anybody explain why they did not vote for Michael Wilton (@CriedWhenBrucieLeft excluded, since he explained why he does not vote at all)? I have no idea what is special about the guy. Wasn't De Garmo the one with the cool guitar work? What did Wilton do? I begin to feel that his lack of doing anything interesting works in his advantage, As if most people dislike guitar players, or really do like people, but the middle category seems a bit overlooked in some places.

Hmm, his voting isn't as much as I thought. Perhaps he'll survive a bit, still.

Yep. 20.

Before that already in Alcatrazz (and a Steeler album).

Damn, this rocks.

Desert Song, originally written and performed by Michael Schenker, brought here by Bonnet when he left Schenker.
Won't surprise you to learn I much prefer the Schenker original.

But they fail to make interesting music. Okay, Satch had some good stuff. Lots of crap as well. I much prefer the good old catchy hard rock even if it did not change much style wise.

Their music is appealing to a greater number of people than Yngwie's. It's cool if you prefer 80s shred guitar, no one's to judge you for it, but the general consensus doesn't agree with you. There's a reason why guys like Vai and Satriani have over three times as many likes on Facebook as Malmsteen: they are guitarists of the 21st century. Malmsteen was a huge influence early on but hasn't stood the test of time that well. Besides, many of you lot are older than me so it's possible that you have an emotional connection to the "shred guitar era" that I lack. I find those to be cheesy times for the most part. For example, even though I'm a big fan of Satch, I think that his classic shred stuff from the late 80s is a lot less interesting than his newer material.
By the way, I didn't even vote for Malmsteen in this round but I'm definitely going to vote for him before even considering some of the other guitar greats.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 1:
Roland Grapow - 14 votes
Brent Hinds - 13 votes
Dan Swanö - 13 votes
Malcolm Young - 12 votes

My votes:

Don't listen to B.B. King, Buckethead, Django Reinhardt, Jeff Beck, Tony MacAlpine or Yngwie Malmsteen.
James Hetfield is great for Metallica but isn't really anything special out of context. Same for Malcolm Young. Michael Wilton, Roland Grapow and Roy Z are all great guitarists but the competition is tough. And because of the Dio feud I kind of don't like Vivian Campbell. I know it doesn't have anything to do with his skills on guitar, but fuck him anyway.
Only 2 of these got eliminated and I have 4 votes less now, so I'm gonna spare James Hetfield and Roy Z this time.

It's criminal that Dan Swanö went before Michael Wilton. I'd probably end up voting for him in this round if he survived, but he deserved to go through one round.

James Hetfield
Jerry Cantrell
Pete Townshend
Michael Wilton
Vivian Campbell
Yngwie Malmsteen

Malmsteen was a huge influence early on but hasn't stood the test of time that well.
That is not a very big criterium to me. If Glenn Tipton plays the stars from the skies on Beyond the Realms of Death or Painkiller in 1978 and 1990 but fails to deliver in 2017, I'd still prefer him over people who don't produce very interesting music to my taste.

Old music can touch me as much as new. More often even.

I do not just like Yngwie for his shredding. I like him for his melodic playing. And prefer the music on some old records over technical soulless wankery from some other "greats".

I am especially focusing on the good points when looking at all the guitarists, their playing and their music involved. When one is delivering the better goods, I prefer him over someone who delivers less impressive goods.

Michael Wilton
Everyone who remembers a memorable guitar moment from Michael Wilton raise your hand! *silence is deafening*
  1. Alex Skolnick
  2. B.B. King
  3. James Hetfield
  4. Jeff Beck
  5. John Petrucci
  6. Michael Wilton
  7. Pete Townshend
  8. Tony MacAlpine
@CriedWhenBrucieLeft when will you start voting? At some point you only haven't heard (much of) a few, one, or even zero guitarists. Looking forward to your contributions.

Last edited:
I'm just happy that Jerry Cantrell made it past the first round. :clap:

Can anybody explain why they did not vote for Michael Wilton?
I didn't vote for Wilton in the first round, but the fact that I don't have a legitimate answer to this question is reason enough for me to vote for him this time around.

B.B. King
Django Reinhardt
Jeff Beck
Michael Wilton
Pete Townshend
Roy Z

Alex Skolnick and Vivian Campbell barely made the cut, but they would be next in line to get a vote.

I will admit to being guilty of Foro's complaint about Wilton: I voted mostly for players I either wasn't fond of or familiar with in order to clear the chaff and focus on the ones I liked best. Would have liked to explore the others but I don't currently have them time. I will listen to the ones that survive this round.

Damn, if you hadn't posted that, I wouldn't have noticed how far off my math was.

This was the plan:

First I'll divide the 100 nominated guitarists into 5 random groups of 20, and there'll be 8 guitarists promoted from each group. Afterwards, the remaining 64 guitarists will battle it out knockout style.

But that's 40, not 64 :facepalm: Since we already started this way, I'll just figure out another way to deal with the Final 40, unless someone has a better suggestion.

Back