BEST BAND EVER: Results!

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 22:
Andrew Latimer
Robert Fripp

:down:

Voted for Mark Tremonti (while Gilmour is definitely way more influential, I prefer Alter Bridge's music; also supporting @Ariana :p), Ritchie Blackmore (although he's gone off the rails lately, he's still one of the best and most influential guitarists ever), Tony Iommi (no contest really, Iommi should be in the final) and Alex Lifeson (tough choice because I don't listen to Rush much, but what I heard is technically way more impressive than anything Roy Z came up with).

Gilmour, Blackmore, Iommi, Roy Z. I know, I know, he's no guitar wizard, but he is my favourite of the two.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 23:
Dimebag Darrell
Joe Walsh
Mark Tremonti
Roy Z

Promoted after Round 23:
Alex Lifeson
David Gilmour
Ritchie Blackmore
Tony Iommi

I went with Rhoads but only just. Could've been another vote for Moore another day.

Also, get Hetfield the fuck out of here. He's a great rhythm guitarist, got it. Is this "best band" going to be a Metallica cover band? No. Gilbert can play everything Hetfield can/could ever play. There's just no sane reason one should vote James over Paul.

What puts James ahead is his writing. His knack for memorable guitar riffs is much superior.

I love Rhoads, but the man has two albums of work in essentially one style.
Moore has 40 years of work in multiple styles.

He could play with amazing technical ability and with heart-rending emotion.
And he has this raw, rough edge to his playing that you can’t mistake for anyone else.

Never mind his songwriting abilities.

What puts James ahead is his writing. His knack for memorable guitar riffs is much superior.
This. You're going to need at least one good writer and rhythm guitarist in this band. There are plenty of other players who can take the lead role over Paul Gilbert.

Assuming this hypothetical band has two guitarists.

I didn’t vote in the Gilbert/Hetfield match, but if pressed I’d take James.
Best guitarist competition, Gilbert wins hands down like Cried said, but Hetfield has created far more memorable music and really that’s what I’d want in my band.

I missed out on voting in the last round, but the right 4 advanced, so all is well.

This time everything isn't quite as clear-cut, but I gotta go with Romeo, Gilbert, Mustaine, and Rhoads.

Voted for Michael Romeo (close, but Romeo has more material that I like), Paul Gilbert (Hetfield is a rhythm guitarist, would be heresy to pick him over a player like Gilbert), Dave Mustaine (not really a contest) and Gary Moore (same).

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 24:
Chris DeGarmo
James Hetfield
Michael Schenker
Randy Rhoads

Promoted after Round 24:
Dave Mustaine
Gary Moore
Michael Romeo
Paul Gilbert

Back