BEST BAND EVER: Results!

I realized it wasn't just Holopainen I didn't know who was ( I do now though! Been listening to Amorphis for years without really paying attention to his name)

Yeah well. lazyness I guess. People won't spend the time actually looking up the guitarist they don't know anyways and get familiar to them by listening to a couple of albums, they'll just keep hyping the ones they like ;)

Thats exactly what I do.
Kinda silly to expect someone to vote for someone they’ve never heard of ahead of someone they love, whether they check them out first or not, don’t you think?

Kinda silly to expect someone to vote for someone they’ve never heard of ahead of someone they love, whether they check them out first or not, don’t you think?

Hmm yeah I guess, and even if they find that new guitarist to be awesome he still has to compete against years of nostalgia. Problem with this is that it's always gonna end up as a popularity contest.....But nevermind, I actually didn't mean to start a discussion about this :p

Last edited:
I will say once again, that there has been a few times already where I ended up not voting for a guitarist that I had not been familiar with prior to the start of the round because I made an effort to familiarize myself with said guitarist. It can happen, only if you let it happen though.

It comes down to how you perceive the game I reckon. I've viewed this as a chance to talk about musicians and learn about ones that I didn't know about, some clearly view it as simply a game and a popularity contest. That's fine, but this is my angle.

I'm a bit in between you guys. I admire how Flash does it and that is indeed the best way. However, when I already love some guys a lot, I make effort to get them through. Still, there are moments, e.g. especially if we have rounds with people I'm less enthusiastic about, I can make effort to listen to unknown guys.

At this point I myself have just decided that:

1) I know who I want to win.
2) All others can be sacrificed.
3) Hence I vote for those I've never heard of and those I dislike in an effort to get my faves at the top.

I am afraid that on this particular metal band forum, the mainland/continental European non-prog metal musicians will be out soon. Musicians from British metal bands are -in general- more known and loved so they might not come into trouble as quickly.

Most forumers outside Europe, but unfortunately also several in Europe, don't know European non-prog metal musicians and/or don't care about metal, apart from Maiden, some other British bands and North American bands (e.g. Dream Theater). Simply because people are often mostly focused on Anglo-Saxon music. On this forum we also have people who feel heavy metal music is too low for their taste. Metal musicians are not good musicians. So people do not explore metal beyond (their own) Anglo-Saxon borders and/or they are rather into other genres, e.g. prog metal, prog rock and/or instrumental artists.

The only really popular European non-prog metalband is Sabaton, but they don't have very outshining individuals, unless the singer is taking part.

Summary of this polarizing rant:
If you're non-prog and metal musican, you're fucked (category A).
If you're a non-British/North American musician, you're fucked (category B ).
If you're a non-British/North American AND non-prog and metal musician, you're fucked the most and have nothing to seek in this game (category C).

Last edited:
Which game element? This is a survival in which one can try to get your favourites further by voting on the others. Is that element itself dumb? While doing this people can explain why they like or dislike someone.

Voted for Adrian Belew, Chris DeGarmo, Guthrie Govan, Jimmy Page, Orianthi, Richie Faulkner, Steve Hackett and Steve Howe.

Btw. @Forostar, after that whole rant about bias vs. European metal musicians, you go and vote against Esa.

uC7jJgY.gif

:p

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 14:
Orianthi - 14 votes
Esa Holopainen - 10 votes
Richie Faulkner - 10 votes

Voted for Adrian Belew, Chris DeGarmo, Guthrie Govan, Jimmy Page, Steve Hackett and Steve Howe.

Back