BEST BAND EVER: Results!

Jones, the RHCP guy, and Akerfeldt - they're not as good as others. I'd rather hear DeGarmo myself.

Time for controversial opinions? One of my least favorite aspects of Brian May is his guitar playing. I'm not a fan of his tone and most of his solos are fairly generic. That being said, he's a fantastic writer and had plenty of cool studio tricks.

Richie Faulkner is probably technically a better player than Tipton and Downing, but I'm not sure if he stands out among your average Metal shredder.

My favorites from this group:

Adrian Belew: Very versatile player, I mostly love his work with King Crimson in the 80s. He is similar to The Edge in that he has a lot of creativity in the studio with effects, but he actually has the playing skill that makes him a more substantial musician.

David Gilmour - duh.

Guthrie Govan - He's a bit shreddy but I find his work in Steven Wilson's solo band to be very melodic and surprisingly restrained.

Akerfeldt - Already praised him in this thread, actually my favorite Opeth guitarist by a longshot. So much feeling and melody in his playing. He also has a fantastic tone.

Hackett - Probably the least flashy player to appear in the game and, consequently, will probably not last long. A very unique guitarist in that he often took a backseat in Genesis. His contribution was all texture, but his few spotlight moments were oozing with emotional melodies. Firth of Fifth is one of my favorite guitar solos at all. EVH also learned tapping from watching him.

Time for controversial opinions? One of my least favorite aspects of Brian May is his guitar playing. I'm not a fan of his tone and most of his solos are fairly generic. That being said, he's a fantastic writer and had plenty of cool studio tricks.

Richie Faulkner is probably technically a better player than Tipton and Downing, but I'm not sure if he stands out among your average Metal shredder.
I always found May a bit dull, but I've come to appreciate him a lot more. He's distinctive and I do appreciate a guitarist who has a lot of writing and creative ability. I always said God Save the Queen would sound crap on guitar, but I believe Brian May pulled it off.

I don't think I can vote against Faulkner. I think he's breathed new life into Priest and is both a very solid guitarist and a great stage presence.

I don't think I can vote against Faulkner. I think he's breathed new life into Priest and is both a very solid guitarist and a great stage presence.
That I’ll agree with. He’s great in Priest and I have to say I don’t miss KK. I was also right in front of him during the Epitaph tour and thought he had fantastic presence. He was clearly having an amazing time.

However much of a difficult person, Timo Tolkki has written many awesome songs and was a gifted guitar player (probably still is) as well. With these talents and achievements he easily wipes the floor with most out here. Unfortunately European power metal is not valued highly on this forum (apart from Sabaton), hence the votes for Kai Hansen in this early stage of the game.

Apart from one or two (e.g. in The Music Box) I never cared much for the solos by the overrated Steve Hackett. His work sounds strained. The man surely was somewhat original but not good in executing. The man is the opposite of Dave Murray. He can't play fluently. Wooden fingers. While he exposes the most, his contributions to Genesis were sparse: the least of all the members in that band.

Not voting for:
May, DeGarmo, Gilmour, Holopainen, Downing, Hansen, Knopler, Tolkki

Last edited:
Voted for Adam Jones (Tool only works few days a year for me), Adrian Belew (never heard of him), Andy Timmons (never heard of him), Guthrie Govan (never heard of him), Jimmy Page (overrated like his band), Orianthi (heard some stuff but not that impressed), Richie Faulkner (good guitarist but he doesn't have studio material to back it up, maybe on the next Priest album?), Steve Hackett (not into Genesis, sorry guys), Steve Howe (I like what I heard from him in yes, but not enough to want him to be in Top 8 of this group) and Timo Tolkki (used to be a good songwriter but I always thought he repeated himself a lot in Stratovarius, both in songwriting and playing - current Stratovarius guitarist is way more inventive).

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 13:
Andy Timmons - 10 votes
Adam Jones - 9 votes
Timo Tolkki - 9 votes

In this group, Frusciante is second only to Gilmour and maybe Knopfler in terms of feel.
I love his stuff.

Agreed. Frusciante is being underappreciated here. An excellent funk player.

But so is Guthrie Govan, and you voted for him. He's next in line in excellent guitarists that get eliminated early due to unfamiliarity. Few guitarists can be so creative in so many different genres.

Last edited:
I have to admit I'm voting for a lot of people that I don't know by name here :p maybe a (band) after each name would help....or maybe I just have to stop being lazy and look them up.

Yeah well. lazyness I guess. People won't spend the time actually looking up the guitarist they don't know anyways and get familiar to them by listening to a couple of albums, they'll just keep hyping the ones they like ;)

Back