BEST BAND EVER: Results!

Don't see myself voting for Hendrix any time soon. He had a pretty cool sound and a laid back approach. Obviously overrated, but he is a great guitarist.

Well, then I hope Alex Lifeson is going to trash the rest of this group later on, whoever might survive this round.

No to both. Second one is more arguable though. May is good but I've always though Queen would be an unremarkable band without Freddie Mercury.
No need to speculate, they made music without him.

Melodic touch is what I go for. Not that weird is it?
Not at all. I’ll take it over virtuosity any day.
It’s just that a lot of these guys have both.
(I didn’t vote for Goldy either)

And Lifeson is top three here for me for sure, maybe number one - best band needs a guy who is the whole package.

He’s as good a rhythm player as he is a lead player, he’s very versatile, an excellent composer, unconventional yet melodic, always serves the song, has a unique, identifiable sound, and is equally comfortable supporting his band mates as he is at centre stage.

No to both. Second one is more arguable though. May is good but I've always though Queen would be an unremarkable band without Freddie Mercury.

As with most great bands, they all played a part.
Freddy gave Queen that special star power, but the others kept him grounded.

It’s just that a lot of these guys have both.
I don't think I agree with that. Lots of them don't do it in his way, I think. Lots of these guys don't have a good balance between these two. Not enough grabbing melody in their solos.
(I didn’t vote for Goldy either)
:ok:
And Lifeson is top three here for me for sure, maybe number one - best band needs a guy who is the whole package.

He’s as good a rhythm player as he is a lead player, he’s very versatile, an excellent composer, unconventional yet melodic, always serves the song, has a unique, identifiable sound, and is equally comfortable supporting his band mates as he is at centre stage.
Well described.
But Queen did not create music without May either.

Brian May > Freddie Mercury
This is correct. Mercury is the most goddamn overrated singer in rock history.

Alex Lifeson > Neil Peart
This one's harder. On the one hand, Lifeson is one of the most underrated guitarists in history, but on the other, last I checked, Peart is my third favorite drummer. This is why usually I like to take Rush as the full thing and not one on one.

May/Mercury

To be fair - the music without Mercury sucked, but it wasn't because he wasn't there. I mean, Innuendo is already iffy at best, which most people usually tend to forget because of the killer first two and the last track. Made in Heaven was mostly rubbish. Nobody in their right mind should want to listen to You Don't Fool Me more than once. The blokes were simply kinda burnt in the 80s/90s in general - some people blame the synthesizers, some the trends of the time, but truth is, they had already gotten their best out of themselves and the albums would get progressively patchy as time went on. And Mercury's solo career was shitty from top to bottom, sorry. That abomination with Rodgers was more of a brain fart. Mercury wouldn't have made it any better.

But when they were awesome (and they were, really), it was still May's unique guitarwork and studio wizardry that pulled me into the band originally. Mercury is cool, very cool, but unbelievably overrated (and his live performances used to suck as well at times, especially when he didn't care for his voice and developed nodules and kept cracking and shit) and his music hall tendencies were somewhat original (let's pretend there were no Kinks), but I got overfed somehow. And while Mercury is overrated, the other blokes have always been criminally underrated and May the most, because he was IMHO the most talented and original of them all.

Also, the best song on Night was written by May and the second-best by Deacon. I shouldn't have to tell youse which are those. Rhapsody is beautifully sappy and interesting studio-wise but the aforementioned best track on the album has some really interesting vocal overdubs as well. And a killer riff.

Lifeson/Peart

Again, this might be simply because Peart is so ridiculously overrated. Don't get me wrong, he's an awesome drummer, but the amount of praise he gets ... He's no Bruford. Or Minnemann or Bozzio. Or Airto or Lenny White. Yet he's revered as some kind of deity and I admit that this attitude from the fans were one of the reasons I got fed up with Rush in general at one time. Whereas Alex seems to be completely forgotten most of the time, yet he can be technical, melodic and atmospheric, has tons of personality and knows his place.

Nobody in their right mind should want to listen to You Don't Fool Me more than once.
tH454S8.gif

I don't put too much stock into that, most bands suffer from a lack of creativity in the latter parts of their careers.

Mercury is cool, very cool, but unbelievably overrated (and his live performances used to suck as well at times, especially when he didn't care for his voice and developed nodules and kept cracking and shit)

Mercury just had the voice. Pretty much all rock vocalists had periods where their live performances were off, it comes with the territory of being untrained singers.

Again, this might be simply because Peart is so ridiculously overrated. Don't get me wrong, he's an awesome drummer, but the amount of praise he gets ... He's no Bruford. Or Minnemann or Bozzio. Or Airto or Lenny White.

He's up there with the very best in rock. No question about it. I do think a lot of people just say he's "the greatest" just because it's the popular thing to say, but he's up there.

Whereas Alex seems to be completely forgotten most of the time, yet he can be technical, melodic and atmospheric, has tons of personality and knows his place.

This I agree with. Lifeson is definitely underrated. Peart and Geddy are given all the credit but Lifeson is no less influential for the band's success.

Last edited:
Oh and we were supposed to push for our favourites as well, so

this is with Paco de Lucia, but I don't think that matters all that much. Not sure if YouTube keeps this, but on the album Al's in the right channel all the time.

For Fripp... I don't know, half of King Crimson tracks are off YT and else and I'm not sure what to pick anyway

Nuno Bettencourt needs more love

(and I don't mean the Bumblebee silliness in the beginning, I mean the main riff)

Vai

also

:D That's way TMI anyway :D

P.S. - I didn't include Satch as he's having few votes anyway

Last edited:
... Peart is so ridiculously overrated. Don't get me wrong, he's an awesome drummer, but the amount of praise he gets ... He's no Bruford. Or Minnemann or Bozzio. Or Airto or Lenny White. Yet he's revered as some kind of deity and I admit that this attitude from the fans were one of the reasons I got fed up with Rush in general at one time. Whereas Alex seems to be completely forgotten most of the time, yet he can be technical, melodic and atmospheric, has tons of personality and knows his place.
I don't think you realize how well Peart's drum parts are conceived, and played of course. They fit so well to the music. That great music helps of course, but it wasn't so great without his drums. I can listen to Moving Pictures and only hear the drums if I wish. Not because I adore Peart, it's because of the power of these intricate patterns and playing.

Lenny White? Not sure how he stands out. Perhaps because there are so many (more) interesting jazz and/or fusion drummers out there with individual style. Tony Williams, Elvin Jones, Art Blakey, Buddy Rich, Max Roach etc. etc.

Minneman: a talented and extreme drummer, but I can't see why I'd like all that intensity more than Peart. Not a chance.

Bozzio: a cool guy with a big set. He's good, but his "show" does not mean good music.

Bruford is great, but I still prefer Peart. I am glad Peart is no Bruford. It's going to be hard to argue that Buford is a better drummer. Being fed up with Rush, and their fans are not good arguments to say Peart's drumming is not in the league of the people you just mentioned. You can have anti-bias to vote against Peart. This is all about liking or disliking someone. But that's about it.

Last edited:
Back