BEST BAND EVER: Results!

Alex Skolnick
Man, I love his guitar playing, so it saddens me that the voting is not going in his favor. :(

I can't decide who my least favorite is, but my favorites are easy: Alex Skolnick, Vivian Campbell, and Glenn Tipton are awesome, and James Hetfield and Tony Iommi aren't far behind these three.

Before the hated Malmsteen goes, I still have to say something about him. The man has written some catchy tunes and played some cool solos.
I can't get enough from songs and solos like these.

Solo starts at 1:46, and ends beautifully with a Sea of Madness vibe (atmosphere), starting at 2:20.
Overall a great track!

Love that chorus!

Cool chorus! Love that 1980s keyboard, making it better.

Just never been able to get into his music. Respect his playing, don't think he's as soulless as people say, but neo-classical metal is just not for me. Especially not with cheesy lyrics and vocals.

Hmm, his voting isn't as much as I thought. Perhaps he'll survive a bit, still.
Malmsteen bashing is too easy for some folks I guess. Don't really know why, as (lyrics & vocals aside) his riffs & playing are cool as fuck. What age was he when Rising Force came out, 20 or something? Crazy.
Yep. 20.

Before that already in Alcatrazz (and a Steeler album).

Damn, this rocks.

neo-classical metal is just not for me. Especially not with cheesy lyrics and vocals.

Is there any other kind? *cough Luca Turilli *cough

Okay, Symph X don't have cheesy vocals. :D (they still bring down the hammer with serious anger, though)

Last edited:
I like his early work but I think he quickly became a little too set in his ways musically.
Amusingly if you go on Wiki the "critical reception" section on his albums literally disappears after the mid-90's...
... presumably because everyone has stopped reviewing them! :lol:

But let's be honest, Malmsteen is by far the gold standard when it comes to shredders.

Gotta disagree with that. There are players from his own time who are more interesting. Statriani, Vai, Friedman.

True, but that's also what puts them ahead of Malmsteem. Do you have examples of what you consider "out and out shredders?

For neo classical style, what about Uli Jon Roth?

But they fail to make interesting music. Okay, Satch had some good stuff. Lots of crap as well. I much prefer the good old catchy hard rock even if it did not change much style wise.

Do you have examples of what you consider "out and out shredders?

Chris Impellitteri or Michael Angelo Batio :D

"Shredder" is a weird category. Is Paul Gilbert a shredder? If he is, why does he do so many song-oriented albums? :D

BTW if we were comparing just the "shred" abilities, we could scratch everyone Shawn Lane, Tosin Abasi and Allan Holdsworth and then just decide on the order.

True, but that's also what puts them ahead of Malmsteem. Do you have examples of what you consider "out and out shredders?
The original comment from Diesel was that Malmsteen is the gold standard for shedders. You then said you disagreed & named three guys that aren't shedders; a point you concede.

That's all I was saying...
But they fail to make interesting music. Okay, Satch had some good stuff. Lots of crap as well. I much prefer the good old catchy hard rock even if it did not change much style wise.
Agreed, Malmsteen's rhythm work is pretty simple, raw & catchy on his early work.
Chris Impellitteri or Michael Angelo Batio :D
MAB definitely.
"Shredder" is a weird category. Is Paul Gilbert a shredder? If he is, why does he do so many song-oriented albums? :D
Definitely. And dunno.
BTW if we were comparing just the "shred" abilities, we could scratch everyone Shawn Lane, Tosin Abasi and Allan Holdsworth and then just decide on the order.
We're not though. Plus, if we were, Buckethead would be in there! :p

Last edited:
Back