1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BEST BAND EVER - Guitarists: Round 10

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by Night Prowler, Sep 13, 2017.

?

Vote for your LEAST favorite guitarist(s):

1. Al Di Meola

28.6%
  2. Alex Lifeson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Buck Dharma

71.4%
  4. Dick Dale

57.1%
  5. Dimebag Darrell

42.9%
  6. Jimi Hendrix

71.4%
  7. Joe Satriani

28.6%
  8. Jon Schaffer

57.1%
  9. Nuno Bettencourt

57.1%
  10. Prince

57.1%
  11. Randy Rhoads

28.6%
  12. Robert Fripp

28.6%
  13. Steve Lukather

42.9%
  14. Steve Morse

14.3%
  15. Steve Vai

14.3%
  16. Uli Jon Roth

57.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

Welcome to the Best Band Ever game!

We're starting the game by choosing the best guitarists first. After that, we'll choose the best bassist, drummer, and vocalist, in that order. This band won't have a keyboardist because I can't be arsed making a list of them too, and I already have the other 4 lists finished :p

Format:
    First I'll divide the 100 nominated guitarists into 5 random groups of 20, and there'll be 8 guitarists promoted from each group. Afterwards, the remaining 64 guitarists will battle it out knockout style. In the first part, you'll vote for your least favorites (number of guitarists remaining-8=number of guitarists you can vote for), in the knockout phase you'll vote for your favorites in each match. Most of these selections will be random (might make up some seeds for the knockout phase though), so sorry if there are two huge favorites going against each other early in the game :p

In each round, you can post videos and stuff to promote your favorite musicians and try to get them to victory.

2. Night Prowler

My votes:

Don't listen to B.B. King, Buckethead, Django Reinhardt, Jeff Beck, Tony MacAlpine or Yngwie Malmsteen.
    James Hetfield is great for Metallica but isn't really anything special out of context. Same for Malcolm Young. Michael Wilton, Roland Grapow and Roy Z are all great guitarists but the competition is tough. And because of the Dio feud I kind of don't like Vivian Campbell. I know it doesn't have anything to do with his skills on guitar, but fuck him anyway.

3. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

So let me get this straight: you just voted for a whole pile of guys you don't listen to? Why start a game so negatively?

4. Night Prowler

Tough competition :p I heard almost everything the 8 guitarists I didn't vote for released, really doubt that listening to the 6 I never listened to would make me change my votes. Although, as I said, if someone posts videos I'll listen to them :)

5. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Tried to avoid voting for guitarists I don't know, plenty to choose from that I don't care for.

6. Lampwick 43

Lampwick 43 Arriving Somewhere But Not Here

This is hard because I'm not familiar with half of these guitarists, but I really don't think it's fair to vote against them because of that.

EDIT: Although I may end up having to vote tactically in order to save someone I DO like, like Jerry Cantrell...

7. Lampwick 43

Lampwick 43 Arriving Somewhere But Not Here

Also is the voting supposed to be based strictly on talent? Or should we take things like songwriting ability, stage presence/showmanship, career success, longevity, etc. into consideration?

soundwave likes this.
  8. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Gott Mit Uns

I honestly have no idea who to vote for. I'll be back when it's slimmed down a bit.

...unless I read BS like this. One of the greatest guitar gods ever! :mad:

9. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

Voted but forgot to click on Jerry Cantrell.

10. Night Prowler

It's impossible for anyone here to know all 100 guitarists though, I think it's fair.

Your choice :p Whatever you define as "best" :p

11. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

Ooh it's happening

12. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

It might have been nice to have a selected video/solo for each, otherwise we're basing it all on personal familiarity or whatever Youtube throws at us first. Mind you, 100 guitarists would have made it a lot of work.

13. Cornfed Hick

Cornfed Hick Electric Eye

Malcolm Young deserves better...

14. Ariana

Ariana Purple leopard

Voting for Vivian Campbell.

15. Zare

Zare Dream of broken citadels

I'm going to vote for Yngwe until he dies of downvotes, and then I'm halting my play because everyone else rocks.

16. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

1. Alex Skolnick
    2. B.B. King
    3. Brent Hinds
    4. Dan Swanö
    5. James Hetfield
    6. Jeff Beck
    7. Jerry Cantrell
    8. John Petrucci
    9. Malcolm Young
    10. Michael Wilton
    11. Pete Townshend
    12. Tony MacAlpine

17. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

Campbell is an absolute joy to the ears. Brilliant, adventurous guitar work on the Dio albums.

Grapow's solos in 1989-2000 Helloween are very good. Check e.g. this one for example. Or this (first solo). More:
    click
    click
    click

Also his riffs (and songwriting). Certainly brought the songs in that era to a higher level.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  18. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Domini canis

My votes:
    Hinds
    Dan Swanö (never been an EoS fan)
    Hetfield (yep, he's the pillar that makes Metallica listenable throughout the years and its most talented members, but ... no)
    Malcolm Young
    Pete Townshend (I respect him and his contributions to rock music and he's an absurdly talented songwriter, but as a guitarist he's really not comparable to the others)
    Roy Z (again, talented, but not comparable to the others)
    Campbell (like his work with Dio, but he's not my favourite in general)

Next in line would be probably Wilton and Grapow.

YT links

Reinhardt - I bet you never heard the French hymn done like this

Randomly chosen link by MacAlpine

And random Beck

Yngwie

(is it just me or is he channeling Gary Moore here? I mean specifically Bad News)

19. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

Am I not allowed to fix this?

20. Stardust

Stardust A Blue Sector Mirage

So, there will be no Keyboardist rounds? That's disappointing...

JudasMyGuide likes this.