BEST BAND EVER: Results!

I'm not qualified to make observations on technical observations on drumming. I get the feeling that Lombardo does a lot of sheer relentless speed, while there's more finesse about Dee. Could be totally wrong, but I like what I hear from Dee.

Carey's a really top quality drummer. But you know what, I'm going for Nick Mason again. He sounds incredible in Live at Pompeii (Echoes not being as striking as One of These Days or Set The Controls....., but still). He just lives and breathes drums in this performance. I've realised what I like about about Pompeii, actually. Minimal Roger Waters.

I get the feeling that Lombardo does a lot of sheer relentless speed, while there's more finesse about Dee.
This is exactly how I feel about them. Voting for Dee.

And I’m not a big fan of Tool but Carey is a terrific drummer. Edges over Mason for me.

Voting for Lombardo but Dee is great as well, particularly during his 5 year stint with King Diamond in the 80s. Out to prove himself as a young drummer, playing alongside talent such as LaRocque whose riffs and arrangements in King Diamond made room for Dee to both have that big classic heavy metal drum sound but also work on his finesse and versatility.

Easily Lombardo over Mikkey Dee, no matter how good Dee is. Lombardo is just the best.

Easy choice in the 2nd match too. I really don't get Tool. I guess Carey is OK and probably the brightest spot in the band, and I shouldn't just judge him based on Tool's music, but that's what he's most well known for. I would surely like to hear him in a more exciting band though. Mason is definitely not a particularly exciting drummer either, but Pink Floyd > Tool for sure, and he at least has some memorable fills here and there.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 126:
Mikkey Dee
Nick Mason

Promoted after Round 126:
Dave Lombardo
Danny Carey

Ed Warby (AYREON, HAIL OF BULLETS, STAR ONE)
vs.
Mike Portnoy (DREAM THEATER, million-OTHER BANDS)

Barriemore Barlow (JETHRO TULL)
vs.
Cozy Powell (BLACK SABBATH, ELP, RAINBOW)

Portnoy, for all his other faults, is one of the few drummers that has the capacity to elevate a band to next-level stratosphere, and he's one of the few drummers that I won't be super salty about winning this thing that aren't Neil Peart.

Two easy choices. Portnoy is one of the best drummers ever, and Cozy Powell one of the most influential ones. Their opponents are good, but not as good.

Warby is very good in his style and genre. I do not really care for Portnoys drumming or bands.
I can live with Powell's popularity but it needs to be stressed that Barlow was definitely more talented.

Last edited:
Barriemore Barlow is GOD! He's better drummer and percussionist than the rest.
John Bonham said he was the best drummer of UK and Geddy Lee said that he would loved to play with Barriemore

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 126:
Ed Warby
Barriemore Barlow

Promoted after Round 126:
Mike Portnoy
Cozy Powell

Dirk Verbeuren (DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT, MEGADETH, SOILWORK)
vs.
Sean Kinney (ALICE IN CHAINS)

Scott Travis (JUDAS PRIEST)
vs.
Stewart Copeland (THE POLICE)

Sean Kinney has a much more distinct style than Verbeuren, so going with that over technical prowess in this match.

Copeland is better at pretty much everything compared to Scott Travis.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 128:
Sean Kinney
Scott Travis

Promoted after Round 128:
Dirk Verbeuren
Stewart Copeland

Bill Bruford (KING CRIMSON, YES)
vs.
Bobby Jarzombek (FATES WARNING, HALFORD, RIOT, SPASTIC INK)

Brann Dailor (MASTODON)
vs.
Nick Menza (MEGADETH)

Back