BEST BAND EVER: Results!

Jukka is a fantastic drummer. He might not do a lot of the fills that others do but he constantly kept things interesting in Nightwish for sure. I love what he does in the intro to Storytime, for instance. Completely unexpected the first time I heard it. Then in Ghost Love Score he keeps things booming, in Poet and the Pendulum he kills it on the double bass. Honestly one of my overall faves. Great drummer.

One aspect of Nightwish that rarely gets discussed is drumming, it should really get more attention. That said, I've got to go with Duplantier. I've no idea how he even does it.

How is this ultimate band shaping up? Is it still Rush with Dio on vocals? Needs spicing up with Gojira drumming. :D

So Jukka is definitely a great drummer. Precise, hard hitting, solid fills. Maybe a bit too predictable, but that can also sometimes be said for Nightwish. His departure is definitely felt in Nightwish. Kai is a better drummer, but maybe not as good of a fit as Jukka was.

Mario, on the other hand, is a generational talent with endurance and inventiveness only matched in this century by Brann Dailor (when it comes to bands/drummers that came to prominence in the past 20 years, which is the case for both of them). That video above is a great example of what he can do - basically has 4 minutes of non-stop double bass.

2nd pairing is more of a boomer comparison. We have Ian Paice who played for a more legendary band, and was also kind of a prototype for modern drumming. But I like Simon Phillips' drumming more even though I heard him in much less material.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 116:
Jukka Nevalainen
Simon Phillips

Promoted after Round 116:
Mario Duplantier
Ian Paice

Bobby Jarzombek (FATES WARNING, HALFORD, RIOT, SPASTIC INK)
vs.
Ginger Baker (CREAM)

Cozy Powell (BLACK SABBATH, ELP, RAINBOW)
vs.
Dave McClain (MACHINE HEAD)

I’m pretty sick of Machine Head, but I’ll stick with McClain. He’s a very good drummer. One of the better ones in this game imo.

Love both from the first pair, don't care at all about any of the latter two.

Voted for Baker and McClain, 'cause they're both losing at the moment.

Baker was a cool drummer who did several new things in the rock genre. But I really like Jarzombek. Awesome style and amazingly steady drummer.

While McClain is very good I really dig Powell. Love his presence on some great albums. And his live drumming is a joy to watch.

Bobby Jarzombek is one of the best progressive metal drummers in the game. Played in Riot, Halford, Iced Earth, Fates Warning, Arch/Matheos and Spastic Ink. And for some reason, with Sebastian Bach. He can really do it all, but his most technical contribution is definitely in Spastic Ink, the only one in which he was able to go fully nuts with his playing.
Ginger Baker really doesn't stand a chance in this matchup. Sounds good (I never listened to Cream before), but his under-produced 60's drumming is really outdated in this matchup.

Another uneven matchup: Cozy Powell, one of the best drummers to come out of the 70's with many legendary performances vs. a solid drummer who spent most of his career playing in a shitty poseur band. I mean, really, McClain is good but did nothing we haven't heard before.

Tie break, please?

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 117:
Ginger Baker
Dave McClain

Promoted after Round 117:
Bobby Jarzombek
Cozy Powell

Ariën Van Weesenbeek (EPICA, GOD DETHRONED, MAYAN)
vs.
Frost (1349, SATYRICON)

Bryan "Brain" Mantia (BUCKETHEAD, PRAXIS, PRIMUS)
vs.
Richard Christy (CHARRED WALLS OF THE DAMNED, CONTROL DENIED, DEATH)

Richard Christy is a monster! He’s easily one of my favorites overall just because of his performance on The Sound Of Perseverance. The dude’s an octopus. His performance alone makes the only Control Denied album 80% better than it is (otherwise it’s a sub-par Death record). He was a bit stifled in Iced Earth, but even then had some great moments, particularly the intro to Wolf and the entirety of the Gettysburg Trilogy, where he really nailed the military beats Schaffer was looking for. Of course then he gave up his music career for some time to become a part of the Howard Stern show, but now has his own band called Charred Walls Of The Damned, who I’ve been meaning to check out. Might do that during this matchup.

Caught a Christy drumstick after an Iced Earth concert in Antwerp, Horror Show tour. The action broke my glasses (others jumped at it at the same time, bang). Great drummer, played a bit of keyboard during intro of one song while playing drums with the other arm.

Back