BEST BAND EVER: Results!

This round is a bummer, all four are top tier drummers and should be finalists.

This honestly shocked me and if it were not you, I'd ask whether you actually know anything else than those hits from Synchronicity and Sting solo, but you probably do, so whatever.

I do, yeah. I’ve listened through Synchronicity and their second and third albums, can’t remember the names. I’m not necessarily knocking the players I just absolutely do not like their sound. Reggae-infused kinda new wave pop rock...I don’t like it all. The core of their sound, what makes them The Police, does not jive with me whatsoever. Same goes for The Red Hot Chili Peppers, who I actively hate.

The Police can fuck right off.
I do, yeah. I’ve listened through Synchronicity and their second and third albums, can’t remember the names. I’m not necessarily knocking the players I just absolutely do not like their sound. Reggae-infused kinda new wave pop rock...I don’t like it all. The core of their sound, what makes them The Police, does not jive with me whatsoever. Same goes for The Red Hot Chili Peppers, who I actively hate.
Those are two different type of bands.

Sad jams. I really, really love those first three albums, in my book it's some of the best stuff that came out at the tail end of the 70's.

But I realise it's kinda similar with my dislike of Rush - I respect them as musicians, but the stuff they decided to do is completely lacking in the excitement department, they're more like these superpowered accountants to me. Plus considered their universal adoration in the more "esoteric" circles, they kinda get on my nerves. And the Rand worship. And like million other things.

And sure, both the Police and RHCHP to me are much more... well, enjoyable. The first three albums from Outlandos to Mondatta for the Police and from about BSSM to (especially) By the Way for the Peppers.

But I get you, I'm just sad, I'd rather if you liked them :D

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 112:
Adrian Erlandsson
Marco Minnemann

Promoted after Round 112:
Sean Reinert
Stewart Copeland

Roger Taylor (QUEEN)
vs.
Scott Travis (JUDAS PRIEST)

Fredrik Andersson (AMON AMARTH)
vs.
Hellhammer (ARCTURUS, DIMMU BORGIR, MAYHEM, WINDS)

My impulse was to go for Scott Travis, but you know what? I'm going to give it to Taylor. Scott Travis has been the drummer of Priest longer than anyone else, yet the only truly memorable and noteworthy performance was on Painkiller. He brought a lot of much needed fire to the band on that album, but after that the drums in Priest went back to being a time keeping mechanism without much to contribute musically. Not many exciting fills, drum intros, or moments where it feels like the drums are driving the music. I actually think it is one of the reasons Priest's recent music tends to sound kinda tired. Even Jugulator, despite being cut from a similar cloth as Painkiller, is pretty bland in the drum department.

Priest got Scott Travis when it was time to go in a heavier direction and it worked. Roger Taylor, on the other hand, was with Queen through years of musical evolution and stylistic variations. He could play heavy, keep a tight disco groove, or whatever else was necessary. The fact of the matter is that no matter how incredible Freddie was as a vocalist, no matter how inventive Brian May was as a guitarist, Queen's level of eccentricity doesn't work without the rhythm section of Deacon and Taylor. You could put Taylor in any band and not only make it work but make it accel. I might put Scott Travis in my metal band if I want a competent but plain drum performance. Our band featuring Lifeson, Iommi, Lee, and Dio, deserves better.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 112:
Adrian Erlandsson
Marco Minnemann

Promoted after Round 112:
Sean Reinert
Stewart Copeland

Roger Taylor (QUEEN)
vs.
Scott Travis (JUDAS PRIEST)

Fredrik Andersson (AMON AMARTH)
vs.
Hellhammer (ARCTURUS, DIMMU BORGIR, MAYHEM, WINDS)
For some reason in the original message I see the Queen video twice, then the Priest and Amon Amarth videos at the wrong places, and no Mayhem.
When I quote your message here though and preview the reply I see all four videos in the correct order.
Could it be my browser, I wonder.

Edit: Is fine now. Mystery.

Last edited:
For some reason in the original message I see the Queen video twice, then the Priest and Amon Amarth videos at the wrong places, and no Mayhem.
When I quote your message here though and preview the reply I see all four videos in the correct order.
Could it be my browser, I wonder.

Maybe your browser's trying to suggest to you you've already had more Attila Csihar in your life than it is advisable for your mental well-being...?

Dunno, just guessin'...

:ninja:

Last edited:
My impulse was to go for Scott Travis, but you know what? I'm going to give it to Taylor. Scott Travis has been the drummer of Priest longer than anyone else, yet the only truly memorable and noteworthy performance was on Painkiller. He brought a lot of much needed fire to the band on that album, but after that the drums in Priest went back to being a time keeping mechanism without much to contribute musically. Not many exciting fills, drum intros, or moments where it feels like the drums are driving the music. I actually think it is one of the reasons Priest's recent music tends to sound kinda tired. Even Jugulator, despite being cut from a similar cloth as Painkiller, is pretty bland in the drum department.

Priest got Scott Travis when it was time to go in a heavier direction and it worked. Roger Taylor, on the other hand, was with Queen through years of musical evolution and stylistic variations. He could play heavy, keep a tight disco groove, or whatever else was necessary. The fact of the matter is that no matter how incredible Freddie was as a vocalist, no matter how inventive Brian May was as a guitarist, Queen's level of eccentricity doesn't work without the rhythm section of Deacon and Taylor. You could put Taylor in any band and not only make it work but make it accel. I might put Scott Travis in my metal band if I want a competent but plain drum performance. Our band featuring Lifeson, Iommi, Lee, and Dio, deserves better.
I will probably vote for Scott, but I agree with you... kinda. Painkiller is his only truly standout performance. I like him on Jugulator and Nostradamus too, but it's just a competent performance without anything truly groundbreaking like Painkiller. I would blame it more on songwriting and limited room for him with all the geriatric performers in the band :p

I wonder if people voting for Andersson are at all familiar with Hellhamer's oeuvre, and if they're voting for Amon Amarth over Mayhem, prone to Sweden vs Norway bias, or just trolling.
I've seen strange votes on this forum, but we're talking Hellhammer here, ffs.

I wonder if people voting for Andersson are at all familiar with Hellhamer's oeuvre, and if they're voting for Amon Amarth over Mayhem, prone to Sweden vs Norway bias, or just trolling.
I've seen strange votes on this forum, but we're talking Hellhammer here, ffs.

Well, I don't really understand why Hellhammer is presented through Mayhem although he is also a member of Arcturus, one of the best bands that ever arose from that general geographic/musical area. Of course I voted for him.

As for the other pair... I picked Taylor, because he was also a pretty good singer and there's something to be said about the rhythm section that did Another One Bites the Dust, but I don't particularly care either way.

Well, I don't really understand why Hellhammer is presented through Mayhem although he is also a member of Arcturus, one of the best bands that ever arose from that general geographic/musical area. Of course I voted for him.
Well his drumming there is superb (as always), and probably there's more live Mayhem than live Arcturus videos on the web (and Black, live, matters).

I will probably vote for Scott, but I agree with you... kinda. Painkiller is his only truly standout performance. I like him on Jugulator and Nostradamus too, but it's just a competent performance without anything truly groundbreaking like Painkiller. I would blame it more on songwriting and limited room for him with all the geriatric performers in the band :p
So yeah, voting for Scott here. Roger Taylor is also good but metal bias wins here.

As for the 2nd pair, Fredrik is super underrated. He was probably my favorite musician apart from Johan in Amon Amarth. Had a pretty distinct style which I really liked. Song above is a great example of what he was capable off, great switching of rhythms, fills, double bass etc. However, he goes against a juggernaut that is Hellhammer whom I saw live for the first time last year. Probably the most intense drumming performance I've seen, he was incredible.

Back