BEST BAND EVER: Results!

Also is the voting supposed to be based strictly on talent? Or should we take things like songwriting ability, stage presence/showmanship, career success, longevity, etc. into consideration?
Kinda interesting to see how people do vote (provided they provide comment) & what exactly they take into account. If it was based strictly on talent/technique only then this list could be whittled down fairly quickly to half a dozen guys...

Don't understand how Brent has more votes than Malcolm Young and Hetfield ffs.

This solo is better than anything those two ever recorded (guitar-wise, not whole songs).

Shawn Lane is extremely influential to a lot of shredders coming out of the 90s. One of the most underrated players ever.
Absolutely. And if you also want to talk about context, Lane was playing this stuff as early as the late 70's when he was just 16. He deserves so much respect because his playing is totally improvised. As Gilbert says, he plays stuff that sounds like he's tapping, but it's all left-hand. When you look at guys with ridiculous right-hand alternate picking speed, like say MAB; Lane is even faster and smoother than them. And he's playing stuff that's tolerably listenable! Accomplished pianist too. I don't particularly enjoy "fusion" (or whatever you want to categorise Lane as playing), but I can't help but admire his technical genius. His playing is memorising. I genuinely can't think of anyone I've ever seen/heard that has Lane's all-round technique. He could play anything.

Back