Eliminated after Round 113:
Roger Taylor
Hellhammer

Promoted after Round 113:
Scott Travis
Fredrik Andersson

Dan Zimmermann (GAMMA RAY)
vs.
Mike Portnoy (DREAM THEATER, million-OTHER BANDS)

Brann Dailor (MASTODON)
vs.
Keith Moon (THE WHO)

Easy. Portnoy and Brann. Keith is good and all, but Brann is like 100 times the drummer Keith was. Brann is easily a top 3 drummer in this game.

Portnoy and Dailor. Sounds like an estate agent.

I don't listen to much Mastodon so I'd never paid much attention to the drumming. Having the focus on the drums in this vid works very much in Dailor's favour. Good stuff.

Last edited:
Those who are fans of Portnoy, I'd be curious what people see as his best work as a drummer, considering he's been involved in so many different projects. I'm going to give that some thought myself, it's probably Dream Theater stuff but at this point DT is a small fraction of his work so who knows.

Those who are fans of Portnoy, I'd be curious what people see as his best work as a drummer, considering he's been involved in so many different projects. I'm going to give that some thought myself, it's probably Dream Theater stuff but at this point DT is a small fraction of his work so who knows.
A list of my favorites include.. 6:00, Dance of Eternity, The Ministry of Souls, and The Glass Prison.

Dan Zimmermann was a great power metal drummer. Probably still is, but since he disappeared from the face of the Earth since leaving Gamma Ray, you never know. Anyway, him joining Gamma Ray changed the band for the better as he was far better than the ones that were there before or after him. Never used triggers af. Was also an accomplished songwriter for the band. Shame that he left. That video I posted might be their best live performance, in part because of Dan speeding up every song, which worked great.

Portnoy gets my vote because he is far more accomplished. Can also play pretty much any style, also an accomplished songwriter. Needs to come back to Dream Theater asap.

Brann Dailor vs. Keith Moon is an interesting matchup, considering Brann is like a metal version of Keith. They have quite a similar style with overplaying and many fills etc. Brann might be the best drummer that came to the spotlight in this century, no one really sounds or plays like him and Mastodon would definitely sound completely different without him. Bonus is that he's also a songwriter and a singer and routinely sings while drumming some pretty complex stuff. Keith on the other hand wasn't allowed to sing :D

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 114:
Dan Zimmermann
Keith Moon

Promoted after Round 114:
Mike Portnoy
Brann Dailor

Dirk Verbeuren (DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT, MEGADETH, SOILWORK)
vs.
Fotis Benardo (SEPTICFLESH)

Mike Mangini (DREAM THEATER)
vs.
Nick D'Virgilio (SPOCK'S BEARD)

More familiar with Benardo. I like the 3 albums he did with Septicflesh more than anything Dirk did. Benardo's style is also very cool, atypical for what Septicflesh has been playing (some more complex and proggy stuff he did, while Septicflesh play symphonic death metal). Also has many memorable parts in all these albums. One of the best ones in the genre at blastbeats too. Dirk's best performance is really on Devin's Deconstruction and he didn't even play that whole album. He is definitely wasted in Megadeth, especially this late in Megadeth's existence. He can't really speed it up or improvise too much with a dinosaur that is Dave Mustaine vocally. Anyway, either of them winning is fine with me. Both world-class drummers.

I was actually convinced Nick auditioned for Dream Theater, so would've been cool matchup then. I'm not a fan of Mangini's. I don't like his sound on studio albums. It's just sounds soft af to whatever Portnoy does. Also, whatever he changes when he plays Portnoy's songs is for the worst. His overall style is just so boring and unmemorable. As for D'Virgilio, I got Spock's Beard discography a while ago because of Morse but still didn't listen to it. So this is the first time I've checked it out. I wasn't too impressed with his performance here, but I'll give him the vote over Boregini.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 115:
Fotis Benardo
Nick D'Virgilio

Promoted after Round 115:
Dirk Verbeuren
Mike Mangini

Jukka Nevalainen (NIGHTWISH)
vs.
Mario Duplantier (GOJIRA)

Ian Paice (DEEP PURPLE)
vs.
Simon Phillips (JUDAS PRIEST, TOTO)

People who know Sin After Sin know what to do. Best drums on a seventies (hard) rock (metal) record.

Last edited:
People who know Sin After Sin know what to do. Best drums on a seventies (hard) rock (metal) record.
He was a beast on that album. And very young too. But after much consideration I still went with the one and only Paice.

Back