BEST BAND EVER: Results!

Not really.

I agree with him that the drum sound on the Black Album is excellent. It's one of the things that draw me to that album pretty consistently. The playing is merely decent but the sound is great.

And if it's about live performance, sacred Hetfield's sometimes so embarassingly out of tune, but nobody seems to care...

People care plenty, you appear not have been paying attention. James was getting murdered by the fanbase when his vocals deteriorated in the early to mid-2000s. The relative absence of criticism for his woes since then is a by-product of the fact that he's recovered his form immensely. He also gets more leeway because he's incredibly tight live as a rhythm player.

Not really.
I‘m going to take some help from my buddy (not really) Hevy Devy Townsend, who took a snare sample from the intro of Sad But True, and put it on every snare hit of one or several of his albums. He wanted that massive black album drum sound combined with Fear Factory* and Meshuggah Destroy Erase Improve era.
*Demanufacture

Lars getting all those votes against Neil, Killers being knocked out before No Prayer, 2020 is one strange year.

Memes aside, Lars was never lacking in ideas, but he was always a limited drummer, even at his peak in the late 80's. His fills were always the same and he wasn't good with playing double bass live. His weaknesses weren't as problematic as he was young, in shape and practiced. Once they became super rich and he got older, it just became worse and worse for him. Fills just became worse and worse and double bass became triggered af, or slowed down.

Neil Peart is definitely one of the best drummers ever, and I'm not that even into Rush. Hard-hitting, precise and with actually interesting drum solos, which not many drummers can do. Bonus points for him is that he was also a lyricist.

2nd battle is much closer. Clash of two totally different styles. Kai Hahto is an extreme metal drummer who can rarely show off all his chops in Nightwish, most obviously on the latest garbage album. On that debut Wintersun album he did it all. Slow stuff, fast stuff, blast beats, insane fills.

On the other hand, Sean Kinney is a much more subdued drummer. He has a pretty distinct style though, never really plays fast but is great at fills. IMO the best drummer to come out of that grunge era.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 107:
Lars Ulrich
Kai Hahto

Promoted after Round 107:
Neil Peart
Sean Kinney

Bill Ward (BLACK SABBATH)
vs.
Martin Axenrot (BLOODBATH, OPETH)

Martin Lopez (OPETH, SOEN)
vs.
Phil Collins (solo, GENESIS)

Behemoth of a round, by the way. Four of my favorite drummers.

I'll go Ward & López.

-----

Performances on non-growl songs by Axenrot and López, for whom it may concern:

All very fine drummers. I am going for the oldies. Love their work from the seventies. Well, Bill Ward played awesome on Heaven and Hell as well.
His loose, jazzy style appeals to me. The way he complemented heavy riffs in Sabbath resulted in an interesting combination. Also on his own I find him cool. E.g., his groove in Snowblind is so nice.

I find Phil Collins his fast work impressive. Genesis aside, have you guys heard him in Brand X (jazz fusion group)?
Love his voice as well. Grew up with his hits in the eighties and nineties.

Man, this round is rough. All of these guys are worthy as finalists. This is one of my fav Phil Collins performance btw:

The oldies are among some of the most influential drummers of all time, but the younger guys are trailblazers in Metal.

This round would be much easier if the Martins were flipped. Collins is an easy choice above Axenrot, Lopez is an easy choice against Ward. The matches as they are now are closer. I'm probably going for Ward in the first pairing, I might wait though to see if someone in the second pair has a chance at a lucky loser spot because both deserve to advance.

Back