BEST BAND EVER: Results!

I liked what I heard of Mr Levin in the last round, so going for him again. Also voting Roger Waters. I'm not certain about technical brilliance but I do appreciate everything he's brought to Pink Floyd.

Lee vs. Levin - This was pretty easy, as Lee's playing is way more memorable.

Waters vs. DiGiorgio - Seems I'm in the minority here, but I always felt Waters was nothing special. DiGiorgio is probably the best metal bass player ever.

DiGiorgio just loses out due to people not being into the bands he's been in, I think. He's clearly a miles better bassist than Waters.

It's also the songwriting angle making a big difference. Waters is an excellent songwriter and that should factor in, but in a game dedicated to bass players specifically, that factor has to be relatively smaller percentage wise, in my opinion.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 57:
Tony Levin
Steve DiGiorgio

Promoted after Round 57:
Geddy Lee
Roger Waters

John Myung (DREAM THEATER) vs. Martín Méndez (OPETH)
vs.

Chris Squire (YES) vs. John Entwistle (THE WHO)
vs.

Myung and Squire. Both strike me as distinctive and creative bassists. For the record, I'd recommend Roundabout as a better example of Squire's playing. I feel lucky to have seen him play his iconic custom triple neck Wal bass in a live performance of Awaken a few years ago.

Owner of a Lonely Heart is an awful representation of Squire.

this is one of his finest moments (0:25):

Martín Méndez & Chris Squire. One hell of a round, both were tough choices.

I prefer Méndez because his style of bass playing is the type I like, fills up space, adds tasteful touches to the material, and doesn't simply mirror what the guitars are doing. I do think Myung is underutilized in Dream Theater, but I have to go with what they've done as opposed to what they could've done. It's a shame that Myung hasn't ventured into other projects where he could stand out more.

Squire also benefits from a similar case, the music of Yes enabled him to display his capabilities to a greater extent than The Who's music enabled Entwistle to do so. That being said, Squire's ability to carry a tune has very little competition in rock music and his number of memorable basslines is quite high. Entwistle is a worthy competitor though, his punchy fingerstyle playing was a great advance in making the bass a more punchy instrument.

Myung vs. Méndez - Basically what Knick said. Méndez is less flashy, while still playing more interesting stuff.

Squire vs. Entwhistle - This is probably The Who bias for me, but Entwhistle is one of the best rock bass players ever while I just can't get into Yes or Squire.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 58:
Martín Méndez
John Entwistle

Promoted after Round 58:
John Myung
Chris Squire

Bootsy Collins (BOOTSY'S RUBBER BAND, PARLIAMENT-FUNKADELIC) vs. Jack Bruce (solo, CREAM)
vs.

Geezer Butler (BLACK SABBATH, HEAVEN & HELL) vs. Les Claypool (BLIND ILLUSION, PRIMUS)
vs.

Collins vs. Bruce - I could barely make it through that first song... I hate that kind of music. I don't care much for Bruce but at least he plays music that I could listen to.

Butler vs. Claypool - Gotta go with Butler, even though Claypool is obviously just as good, but Butler has the advantage of a way better discography.

Bootsy Collins & Geezer Butler

First one is an easy choice, the second one not as much. Tough to vote against a monster bassist like Claypool. I find Geezer an incredibly tasteful and complementary bassist, however. It's very much a repeat of the line of thinking I applied to the Méndez vs Myung matchup.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 59:
Jack Bruce
Les Claypool

Promoted after Round 59:
Bootsy Collins
Geezer Butler

Flea (RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS) vs. John Paul Jones (LED ZEPPELIN)
vs.

Phil Lynott (THIN LIZZY) vs. Sting (solo, THE POLICE)
vs.

Back