Battle Of Covers: Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
This game will be following War of Epics. That game should last until July and I like preparing games in advance :)

Eligible songs (examples):
  • Slayer - Dissident Aggressor - allowed. Band covers another band, and those bands don't have any connection between them.
  • Gamma Ray - I Want Out - not allowed. Guy exits covered band, covers their song with his new band.
  • banjo / bongo / ukulele cover of Enter Sandman from YouTube - not allowed. All songs have to be officially released on CD.
  • Judas Priest - Diamonds & Rust (Live In London) - allowed. If there are both studio and live versions of a cover, you can specifically nominate the live one, as long as it was released on CD officially. NO BOOTLEGS!
  • Iron Maiden or Bruce Dickinson covering anything - not allowed. Because they'll win. They might show up at the end though.
  • Cover itself has to be metal or rock, but the original song can be of any genre. It has to be a serious cover though, so this isn't allowed.
  • Medleys are allowed as long as all songs in them are covers.
  • Be a bit more selective when nominating. I got 800 nominations for TSS and that's way too much. This game will definitely have less than 100 songs (aiming for 64). So only nominate the best covers, that are closest in quality to the originals.
  • If something comes up that I didn't foresee, I reserve the right to change the rules. Also in the end, I'll have the final say on which songs will appear in the game, so this won't be like WoE :)
Nominations:
  • Again, for the love of Barlow, don't go overboard on nominations! Pick only the best covers. I want the game to have as many good covers as possible, so when you nominate, pick about 10 of your favorites, and if you really really have to nominate more, do it, but please don't nominate 50 songs. It's just too much and you can't tell me all 50 are super duper awesome.
  • So pick about 10 or less of your favorites, or a bit more if you really have to. Post them in this format: Performing band - song name (original performer) *if there are multiple versions, here you specify which one*. No YouTube links needed, I'll find them myself.
Also if you have any suggestions for the format, post them here. Nothing is set in stone in that regard yet, so I'm open to suggestions :)

After reading the rules, I think I'm gonna find it hard to pick my nominations.

Wanna know why? Because it's limited to metal and rock only! Almost none of my favourites are accepted!

The Beatles, "Twist and Shout" (Top Notes/Isley Brothers)
The Byrds, "Mr. Tambourine Man" (Bob Dylan)
Creedence Clearwater Revival, "I Heart It Through the Grapevine" (Marvin Gaye)
The Clash, "I Fought the Law" (The Crickets)
Talking Heads, "Take Me to the River" (Al Green)
Frank Zappa, "Whippin' Post" (Allman Brothers Band)

And from the classic rock game:

Jimi Hendrix, "All Along the Watchtower" (Bob Dylan)
Aretha Franklin, "Respect" (Otis Redding)

(Edit: added original artists)

Last edited:
Of course. Just not Iron Maiden or Bruce Dickinson (the band) covering anything. Other bands covering them are fine :)

And again, cover has to be metal or rock, original song can be of any genre :)

Liquid Tension Experiment - Rhapsody in Blue (George Gershwin)

Solitude Aeternus - Heaven and Hell (Black Sabbath)
Tierra Santa - Flight of Icarus (Iron Maiden)
Amorphis - Light My Fire (The Doors)
Gamma Ray - Heavy Metal Mania (Alive '95) (Holocaust)
Gorefest - Autobahn (Kraftwerk)
Iron Savior - Underneath the Radar (Underworld)
Samson - Riding With the Angels (Russ Ballard)
Devin Townsend - Sinner (Judas Priest)

Last edited:
Since Metallica has too many, I say go with one of the two medleys (both are equally amazing):

Metallica - Mercyful Fate or Ronnie Rising
Sabaton - Twilight of the Thunder God
Opeth - Remember Tomorrow
Adrenaline Mob - Kill the King
Nightwish - Over the Hills and Far Away
Megadeth - Cold Sweat
Visigoth - Necropolis
Armored Saint - Saturday Night Special

Rounding it out to ten:

Janis Joplin, "Summertime" (George Gershwin)
The White Stripes, "Jolene" (Dolly Parton)

Oh, I see. It appears I was mistaken.

Yes - America (Simon And Garfunkel cover)
Dream Theater - The Big Medley
Deep Purple - Hush
The Beatles - Roll Over Beethoven

I'll start with these four.

Travis - ...Baby One More Time (Britney Spears cover)

Probably doesn't go far, but it's a fantastic cover of a song that I really enjoy.

I just remembered there's this thread, so I'm gonna pull some songs from it too :)

Looks like I've dissed someone for mentioning (not even liking, mentioning) Britney Spears in this thread back in 2011. Now I listen to a shit ton of pop, including her. How times change.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back