terrell39

Ancient Mariner
Two examples (for starters):

1. Motorhead - released the following songs

Killers in 2004
Brave New World in 2002
Assassin in 1998

2. Rush -

Maiden releases Rock In Rio in 2002 and Rush releases Rush In Rio in 2003.
Maiden plays new lp AMOLAD in its' entirety in 2006. Rush plays 9 tracks from their Snakes and Arrows LP live in 2007 (the most they have ever played from a new LP)
Maiden goes on best of the 80's tour (Somewhere Back In Time world tour) in 2007. Rush goes on best of tour (playing all of Moving Pictures from 1981) called Time Machine in 2010.

BTW...the Motorhead songs listed above are NOT cover tunes. They are original Motorhead songs...but obviously the titles are not original!

Also, more on Rush:

Starting with the BNW tour in 2000, Maiden releases a live DVD/CD for ALMOST every tour.
Rush, starting with the Vapor Trails tour in 2002, does release a live DVD/CD for EVERY tour.

Maiden, starting with Ed Huntour in 1999, begins alternating the spotlight of old and new material from one tour to the next.
Rush does the same starting in 2004 with their 30th anniversary tour.

Song or album title copying does happen, but these...

Killers in 2004
Brave New World in 2002
Assassin in 1998

Seriously??? Two very common words, and a title that is copied from an Aldous Huxley novel?

As to Rush - full-album and nostalgia tours are common from many bands these days. In fact, full-album tours were all the rage in 2006 (though usually for classic albums, not new albums). I see zero connection between Rush and Maiden on this matter. Also, claiming that mutual use of the word "time", in the name of a classics tour, means Rush is "copying" Maiden... ??? That's just ridiculous. Like the song titles you picked: using the same single word Maiden once used is not copying.

Plenty of bands do and have copied Maiden. I'd guess there would be no Vic Rattlehead if there was no Eddie first. But the examples above are silly.

I really wish Iron Maiden would copy Rush's tour m.o. Two longs sets, no opener, several rare tracks (it seems almost no song is off limits), rotating set lists....

Two examples (for starters):

1. Motorhead - released the following songs

Killers in 2004
Brave New World in 2002
Assassin in 1998

2. Rush -

Maiden plays new lp AMOLAD in its' entirety in 2006. Rush plays 9 tracks from their Snakes and Arrows LP live in 2007 (the most they have ever played from a new LP)
Maiden goes on best of the 80's tour (Somewhere Back In Time world tour) in 2007. Rush goes on best of tour (playing all of Moving Pictures from 1981) called Time Machine in 2010.
This was a trend during 2006-ca 2008, alot of bands started to play their new album live. This is also more common in the progressive scene, where Rush is a part of. And I'm pretty sure Maiden were not the first ones to start this trend either.

And nowadays it's very common that bands that have been around 20-30 years+, goes out on a "greatest hits tour" or play one of their classic albums in full.

Maiden were not the first ones to start this trend either.

Not the first, but they stood out at the time as the biggest band playing a new album. Most bands at that time were doing classics; this is the year Metallica did Master of Puppets live. It was a peak of the "classic album live" thing, and Maiden stood out in that time by contrast.

Only other time I know of a band playing a NEW LP in label sequence live was back in 1987 when Boston played Third Stage in the middle of their set.

Not the first, but they stood out at the time as the biggest band playing a new album. Most bands at that time were doing classics; this is the year Metallica did Master of Puppets live. It was a peak of the "classic album live" thing, and Maiden stood out in that time by contrast.
What Maiden did was amazing. It took balls to go and do a new album lasting 72 minutes in its entirety live. Metallica have played Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning and The Black Album from start to finish (actually from finish to start). I know which decision I respect more.

What Maiden did was amazing. It took balls to go and do a new album lasting 72 minutes in its entirety live. Metallica have played Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning and The Black Album from start to finish (actually from finish to start). I know which decision I respect more.

Too bad you had to be there to appreciate it since there STILL is no official live release of that tour yet!!!

Prisoner: Accept in 1989 & Dokken in 1987
Fugitive: Halford in 2002
Revelations: Priest in 2008 & Audioslave in 2006

Well, if I had time to play in a band and if we played something along the lines of the demo featured in my signature, I could probably count myself in! (I hope one can recognize who the 1st and 2nd solos are supposed to sound like respectively) ;)

More seriously: Gamma Ray, in their album Land of the Free part 2, with "When the World" (rather close to "Flash of the Blade" riff though not a total copy) and "Opportunity" (ROTAM middle part).

About marketing ideas: Megadeth with Vic Rattlehead and well... Bruce Dickinson with Edison! :D And...well... Kai Hansen (Helloween then Gamma Ray) with the ugly Eddie rip-off featured in the Helloween EP, WOJ, SOIS, Powerplant and the latest album at least. Don't get me wrong : I love Kai Hansen and Gamma Ray, but this (too frequent) lack of imagination is not to be put to this credit.

Last edited:
Rush copy maiden ( or anybody) ?? Naaah. Those guys marched to their own beat throughout their careers. Musically, early on they had influences, yes. I don't think any other bands model of a set list influenced the time machine tour.
Side note: the more I read here the luckier I feel for having caught a gig on the matter of life and death tour!! It was a great show. It amazes that their isn't much in the way of video for any of it. Always remember the grumblings of the lightweight fans as they waited impatiently for the classics. Highlights were out of the shadows ..absolutely beautiful live) and the "binoculars Eddie" peeking at the crowd from the giant tank. Spectacular stuff!!

Back