Bands that fell from grace

Yax

Ancient Mariner
So. What bands/artists have turned from amazing to pathetic/sad?

First thing that comes to mind is Queensryche (up until the recent comeback with La Torre), but surely there are others. Kiss perhaps? Def Leppard?

Edit: Meat Loaf. His accomplishments since the mid 2000's have reached rock bottom. Profoundly sad.

Yeah, that is kinda heartbreaking. Although, I did enjoy his set I saw in early 2013. I mean, I couldn't hear the words over the music very clearly anyway. :D

First bands that come to my mind are Opeth and Dream Theater. Also Blaze Bayley, although he was never that popular to begin with.

I think any band who are pretty old & not writing any new material (or writing utter crap) are viewed, by most, as a bit sad. So any of the above, if that applies. (I don't know, as I don't listen to any of them.)

Manowar - had one great album, few not-good-but-tolerable, then also decided to hire a drum machine and use tr00-metal-lyric-generator.

Running Wild - had a lot of great albums, then decided to hire a drum machine.

Def Leppard definitely high on the list.
The first two albums were NWOBHM riff rockers with good melodies - like Blackout and British Steel.
Since Pyromania, increasingly pathetic schlock.

There's no way you can accuse Opeth and Dream Theater of having fallen from grace. Can we really call either of those bands pathetic or sad? Is making an effort to constantly reinvent yourselves and not live off past glories a sign of having fallen from grace? No. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

Change to a terrible new style

That's your opinion and I wholeheartedly disagree with it. You might not like the band anymore, but you can't say they "fell from grace". Many fans still hold them in high regard including myself, their latest album was acclaimed even though there was some mixed reviews, their albums sell very well, the band is steadily gaining more fans and their shows are bigger than before.

Well, the whole topic is people posting their opinions. I'm sure there are some that think Geoff Tate is still awesome and LaTorre sucks. Just like how I think Opeth sucks now and you disagree :p We already had this discussion numerous times on Opeth thread ;)

Well, the whole topic is people posting their opinions. I'm sure there are some that think Geoff Tate is still awesome and LaTorre sucks. Just like how I think Opeth sucks now and you disagree :p We already had this discussion numerous times on Opeth thread ;)
Geoff Tate's in his prime. FU is the pinnacle of the QR disco.

Fine. I jest.

DEFINITELY not Opeth, you might be correct with DT but I wouldn't overreact to one bad album.

I would say neither has. Dream Theater hit a rough patch for sure (Octavarium onward), but I think the new album is certainly a return to form.

Change to a terrible new style which resulted in loss of all that was cool about previous albums, loss of Martin Lopez and deterioration of Mikael's growls - 'nuff for me.

Opeth's last album was certainly a diversion, but the hate that it receives is silly. I don't understand why Opeth fans act like Heritage is blasphemy, completely forgetting about Damnation.

There's no way you can accuse Opeth and Dream Theater of having fallen from grace. Can we really call either of those bands pathetic or sad? Is making an effort to constantly reinvent yourselves and not live off past glories a sign of having fallen from grace? No. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

This all the way. And, quite honestly, I'll be the first to knock Dream Theater, but they are still progressing and making solid music without selling out or completely repeating themselves.

Bands that I think have fallen from grace?

Iced Earth - (sorry NP) Lack of inspiration, recycled music, inability to keep a consistent singer, rotating door of band members...

Megadeth - Hey, speaking of rotating doors and lack of inspiration!

Anthrax - I don't care what anyone says, this band died when they fired John Bush for the however-manyieth-time.

I'll think of more, but this is all I got for now.

Opeth has definitely changed, but I wouldn't say they have fallen from grace -- they're better than ever!

Iced Earth has fallen from grace. [EDIT: Knicks beat me to it. Totally correct. Megadeth too. Anthrax ALWAYS sucked.] Metallica had fallen from grace, but redeemed itself in the eyes of many with Death Magnetic.

Opeth has definitely changed, but I wouldn't say they have fallen from grace -- they're better than ever!

Iced Earth has fallen from grace. [EDIT: Knicks beat me to it. Totally correct. Megadeth too. Anthrax ALWAYS sucked.] Metallica had fallen from grace, but redeemed itself in the eyes of many with Death Magnetic.

I thought Anthrax was alright in the 80's, Among the Living is a classic, but I loved their John Bush material (especially SOWN and WCFYA).

I almost wrote Metallica, but it's hard to say they've fallen from grace. They're bigger than ever and still put on great live shows. Creatively, however, I would say they have definitely fallen.

Megadeth is the prime example I'd use. I didn't even check out their latest album. I don't think Metallica have fallen from grace. I liked Death Magnetic, they're on form and I'm really excited for their next album.

I don't think it's wholly fair to accuse Metallica of having fallen from grace. Sure, they don't make music the way they used to but at least up to 'Death Magnetic' they weren't conforming to what was expected of them. I didn't like 'Death Magnetic' much to be honest as it was a pretty boring album, but that's besides the point. Other than their most recent album they've tried to do different things, for example 'S & M' and 'Lulu'. They still put on a hell of a live show as well.

I'll accept the points about Megadeth but they are still a great band to see live. :)

DEFINITELY not Opeth, you might be correct with DT but I wouldn't overreact to one bad album.
Seriously. A band isn't doomed just because they put out an album you don't like. That's ridiculous.

Iced Earth is a perfect example for this thread, they've just become a joke at this point. Same with Def Leppard.

Back