As far as albums with repetitive choruses, why does Seventh Son get a break?

Travis The Dragon

AFTERGLOW!!!
I've never had a problem with these types of songs, but with all the talk and complaints about songs with repetitive choruses from quite a few other members on here, I'm surprised Seventh Son never gets brought up. The Evil That Men Do, Can I Play With Madness, Seventh Son, and Only The Good Die Young all have choruses that are quite repetitive. That's half the album! Yet when people complain about this issue, they never seem to bring those songs up. Could it be because it's the first album to contain that much repetition and that Maiden had never done anything quite like it at the time? Anyway, people seem to be less bothered by repetitive choruses on this album. So, if you are someone who is bothered by this issue on Maiden's post-reunion albums, why aren't you bothered by it on Seventh Son?

I have no problems. So what if the chorus is repeated. All are great songs including No More Lies.

No, no, no.You can't trick me into that. There is a difference between a chorus being repeated and add value to the song, and a chorus being repeated and just slowing the song down.

I don't like Seventh Son (the song), the chorus is the least of that song's problem, at least for me. It's actually my least favourite song on that album. As for the chorus to that song, maybe people think the music makes up for it? People seem keen on those solos. And as you said, the first album to really use the repetitive chorus. I think it's the same reason people take issue with slow quiet intros, diminishing returns.

For me, there is two reasons to take issues with a repetitive chorus.

1. If it brings the song to a grinding fault, causing it to lose momentum, weakening what might have otherwise been a good song. (No More Lies, The Longest Day.)

2. The repetitive chorus is fine, it adds to the song, but is part of an album full of repetitive chorus, so it can become a bit tiresome within the context of the album. (Brave New World album.)

I don't think any of the repetitive choruses in SSoaSS causes the songs to lose momentum. I also don't think there's enough on the album as a whole to cause complaint, especially because it is the first album to have it. Five albums follow the repetitive chorus trend after Seventh Son. Which is why when TFF came out, there was an uproar about the album, when really it was only the title track that was repetitive.

It's the same reason I will likely judge The Book of Souls (song) harsher, because this will be Janick's fourth epic in a row to have an acoustic intro. It might be great, but if it's just more of the same, well than they all become less than the sum of their parts.

Reactions: Gk1
Its really interesting that even within the Iron Maiden fan base there is so much diversity in terms of favorite songs. I absolutely love SSOASS. The chorus was the best part of the song for me follow by the "oooohs" from Bruce that continue the melody

7th Son ranks on the lower spectrum of my album rankings, but not due to any repetition. To be honest, I didn't know so many fans had such gripes with repetition in Maiden til I came to this forum.

Repeat the chorus is the most tired complaint on this forum.
Repetitive choruses are wonderful if the chorus is good.

The way people make such a big deal out of this makes me wonder how they became fans in the first place. Repetitive choruses have been a thing since the very beginning. It's like complaining that most of the songs on TFF are in the key of E.

I don't like Seventh Son (the song), the chorus is the least of that song's problem, at least for me. It's actually my least favourite song on that album. As for the chorus to that song, maybe people think the music makes up for it? People seem keen on those solos. And as you said, the first album to really use the repetitive chorus. I think it's the same reason people take issue with slow quiet intros, diminishing returns.

For me, there is two reasons to take issues with a repetitive chorus.

1. If it brings the song to a grinding fault, causing it to lose momentum, weakening what might have otherwise been a good song. (No More Lies, The Longest Day.)

2. The repetitive chorus is fine, it adds to the song, but is part of an album full of repetitive chorus, so it can become a bit tiresome within the context of the album. (Brave New World album.)

I don't think any of the repetitive choruses in SSoaSS causes the songs to lose momentum. I also don't think there's enough on the album as a whole to cause complaint, especially because it is the first album to have it. Five albums follow the repetitive chorus trend after Seventh Son. Which is why when TFF came out, there was an uproar about the album, when really it was only the title track that was repetitive.

It's the same reason I will likely judge The Book of Souls (song) harsher, because this will be Janick's fourth epic in a row to have an acoustic intro. It might be great, but if it's just more of the same, well than they all become less than the sum of their parts.

My thoughts exactly. This is what I would have replied if I was 't so sleepy.

Repetitive choruses have never been an issue here until very recently. Instead of blowing up the matter further, I'd rather ignore it until it dies out.

Repetitive choruses have never been an issue here until very recently. Instead of blowing up the matter further, I'd rather ignore it until it dies out.

Yea I say we get back to more important issues like Fugitive vs Starblind and what is the longest Maiden song is?

The longest day has a great chorus. The only really annoying chorus is Angel and Gambler. And maybe Silent Planet.

I can agree on that one. And the ending to Speed of Light and Final Frontier. But that only five of 160 songs..
No,no,no,no you can't compare the 4 times of Speed of light with the 12 in TFF (or was it 10??).

I don't mind repetitive choruses if it's a good chorus.

The only Maiden songs that annoy me repetition-wise are The Angel and the Gambler and Don't Look To the Eyes of a Stranger.
Although, I have always felt that No More Lies could have been amazing, rather than just good, with a more interesting chorus.

Usually, the vocal melodies or guitar lines underneath are enjoyable enough that it's not an issue.

Back