are there

any studio recordings of Bruce singing songs like Clansman or Sign of the Cross? or any of Wrathchild or Phantom of the Opera from the early days...

AFAIK, there is a studio recording of Wrathchild with Bruce.

To the mods: shouldn't we have a topic like "general questions" for cases like this?

There's "Prowler", "Charlotte the Harlot" (both are B-sides to the "Evil That Men Do" single) and "Wrathchild" (released as a bonus track on the US edition of Ed Hunter, plus it retains the original instrumental backing track). Any others are live only.

And Prowler and Charlotte The Harlot.

I believe there was a plan to re-record Killers and Iron Maiden in Harris-Dickinson-Murray-Smith-McBrain lineup, but it was then abandoned.

I'll take your word for it. I'm glad they didn't re-record the whole albums as they sound just fine with Paul's vocals and the 1988 versions of 'Prowler' and 'Charlotte the Harlot' are pretty poor. Bruce doesn't sound authentic on them and it all feels very forced. The only song from those albums I'd like to hear Bruce sing in the studio is 'Phantom of the Opera' - a song which I never cared for much until I saw it on the Maiden England tour.

I'll take your word for it. I'm glad they didn't re-record the whole albums as they sound just fine with Paul's vocals and the 1988 versions of 'Prowler' and 'Charlotte the Harlot' are pretty poor. Bruce doesn't sound authentic on them and it all feels very forced. The only song from those albums I'd like to hear Bruce sing in the studio is 'Phantom of the Opera' - a song which I never cared for much until I saw it on the Maiden England tour.
I'd like to hear Remember Tomorrow and POTO with Bruce. The rest can remain as they are.

Well there is a "live" version of Remember Tomorrow, which IIRC is just Bruce singing in the studio over a live track.

Just in case someone hasn't heard it yet: Bruce Dickinson's audition tape ("Killers", "Twilight Zone" and "Wrathchild" sung by Bruce over the original studio versions)

Back