Anyone up for a Maiden Sheep Game?

bearfan

Ancient Mariner
I have played these before in other forums and they can be pretty fun.

It is part trivia/part strategy (guessing what others would answer and depending on the type of question, trying to come up with something obscure or very popular)

If enough people are game, I'll come up with some questions and run the first one.

Rules and Examples

The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (Sheep) or least common (Reverse Sheep).

Example Sheep question: "Name a common New Years' Resolution." A good answer might be lose weight and a bad answer might be eliminate the Second Amendment.

Example Reverse Sheep question: "Name a red food." Strawberries might be a bad answer, but raw beef might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible).

Sheep scores are tallied as negative numbers. Reverse Sheep scores are tallied as positive numbers.

The lowest score wins.

The answers to each question are tallied up. Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer. Wrong answers in Sheep are not penalized.

You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, IM Commentary, etc. Use only what's in your head.

For purposes of this game, only the officially released material will count (ie no bootlegs)

Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers or the question itself. Those who do not do this will be penalized 10 points right off the bat.

If you don't answer a question, do not leave that line blank. Please put "I don't know", "no answer", "fuck you", etc. Those who do not do this will be penalized 20 points for each blank space. It messes up my spreadsheet and I hate fixing it because it makes my eyes cross and drives me insane.

Unless specified otherwise, members of the band are only those officially credited on an album as a member. A Studio album is a full length album (ie no EPs or singles) unless otherwise specified in the question

Sheep questions are marked by an S:, Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an R:.

I would like to get at least 20 players.

There will be a total of 25 questions. We will specify a time to go over the answers (probably 5 a day) and people will have a chance to challenge anything the Sheepmaster declared as incorrect.

Special thanks goes out to DVDTalk.com for providing the formatting, rules, etc. for me to steal.

A few further examples, keeping in mind the low score wins and this assumes 20 players

Example 1
S (for Sheep) question. Name a studio album Iron Maiden released in the 1990s
Answers

1 person said Powerslave .. this would get +5 points since it is an incorrect answer (not released in the 1990s)
1 person said Real Live One .. this would get +5 points since it is an incorrect answer (not a studio album)
7 people said X Factor .. each person with this answer would get -7 points
4 people said Virtual XI ... each person with this answer would get -4 points
2 people said No Prayer .. each person with this answer would get -2 points
5 people said FOD ... each person with this answer would get -5 points

Example 2
R (for Reverse Sheep) question. Name a solo studio album a member of Iron Maiden recorded during, after, or in between their tenures in Maiden

Answers
1 person said Pyscho Motel. This person would get 0 points for a unique answer
2 people said ASAP. each person with this answer would get +2 points
16 people said Chemical Wedding (bad answer for reverse sheep, good one if it were regular sheep, not very unique). each person with this answer would get +16 points
1 person said Samson -- Head On. this would get +22 points (the highest point total for the question plus 5) since it is an incorrect answer (recorded before Bruce's tenure in Maiden)

Questions (decided on 20)
===========================

1. S: Maiden has released 15 studio albums. Name one of them
2. S: Maiden consists of 6 band members. Name one of them
3. R: Maiden released 4 albums that did not have Bruce as the lead singer. Name one of them
4. S: B-sides have sometimes consisted of comedic material, name the funniest
5. R: Before being inflicted with the ex-Maiden singer curse of male pattern baldness, Bruce wisely returned to Maiden. Name a full length album Bruce sang on during his hiatus.
6. S: Eddie has appeared on a number of albums, singles, EPs, and Live albums. Which Eddie is most iconic.
7. R: Maiden has released several songs with a nautical theme. Name one of them.
8. S Derek Riggs created many Maiden album/single/live album covers. Name one that he did not have a hand in.
9. S: Name a Maiden song whose title is only one word (the counts as a word).
10. S: The Somehwere in Time album cover was a very boring painting, name a song from a previous album that the cover references
11. R: Bruce sang several songs originally sung by Blaze Bayley live. Name one of them
12. S: Several Maiden songs are based on movies or television shows. Name one of them.
13. R: Name a former Iron Maiden band member who is NOT credited on any official Iron Maiden releases of any kind.
14. S: Paul Di'Anno has been in a few bands since leaving Maiden. Name one of them
15. R: Name a solo studio album a member of Iron Maiden recorded during, after, or in between their tenures in Maiden.
16. R: Name an original Maiden song that was released as an A-side single, but was not originally included on a studio album.
17. S: Maiden has done tours not based on a studio album releases, name one of them
18. S: Name a Maiden compilation album
19. S: Eddie seems to show up at every Maiden show ... who is the most iconic "Live Eddie"
20. R: Name a person who has been credited as the producer of an Iron Maiden album

Please PM replies in the proper format by 3/12/2013. I will start tallying results then

The stategy is the fun part :) None of the questions should be hard ... nothing like what pair of pants did Bruce wear in the summer of the FOD tour or anything obscure like that ... the skill is to try to guess what other Maiden fans are thinking of and try to pick the most popular or most obscure answer depending on the type of question.

Looks like we have 5 players ... ideally we would get 15 more, but I think anyting over 10 is probably doable ... so tell a friend :)

I need to read the rules again after I've had my coffee. But if it's about Maiden, of course I'll play.

Lol me too but I decided that this is the most important rule:
The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (Sheep) or least common (Reverse Sheep)
So when S comes, I'll try to give the most popular answer and when R comes I'll try to give the least obvious answer (according to the methods that are explained further on).

I think the interesting thing about this game is : We'll try to avoid popular answers when there's a Reverse Sheep, and that may cause the least popular answers to become the most popular answers, therefore crushing the plans.

Should be fun.

Excellent .. let's do this. I will post the questions early next week and set a deadline to get the answers back (will need to be after next weekend, I will be out of town late next week and over the weekend)

Keep in mind, this is supposed to be a fun game, so the questions and answer reviews tend to be a bit sarcastic. Here is a link to a game of this I played (Star Trek was the topic) in case anyone wants to see the game in action

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/607712-star-trek-sheep-iii-wrath-sheepmaster.html

For example, this was one of the questions

Star Trek: Voyager featured the exploits of a genocidal madwoman and her crew of personality-less automatons. Which one of those automatons was theleast interesting?

In other words, it is all meant to be in good fun.

No rush ... to be fair, I answered my own questions as I wrote out the question, so they were done before I saw anyone else's answers

Back