Amazing power ballads by lesser known bands

Wow, another Circus Maximus listener. They're pretty good for a Dream Theater clone

The latest, Ten, is pretty good. There's another but I can't remember the name. Bands like that only do so much for me though, if I want something that sounds like Dream Theater, then I'll just listen to Dream Theater.

Lesser known band doing a ballad:
(Not ten minutes, more like 5 or 6)

This is about as lesser known as it gets:

Is Steelheart a lesser known band?

I'm posting a ballad by the band that has been occupying my entire time and attention recently.

Uhm, guys, Steelheart, Anathema, Blind Guardian, Kingdom Come and Spock's Beard really do bend that "lesser known" definition thingy. Then again, I guess that's the Atlantic speaking. In Europe, Blind Guardian headline everything there is to headline.

But, just so that I post something here... I don't think of Vreid as that much of an underground band, but they are hardly top-tier either. So, check this one out. It's a pretty heartfelt song about the loss of a dear friend, in this case Valfar, after whose death Windir split up and Vreid formed.

Mind you, this is neither a "power ballad" in the way we are used to, nor anything like the rest of the music Windir or Vreid make. At all.

Uhm, guys, Steelheart, Anathema, Blind Guardian, Kingdom Come and Spock's Beard really do bend that "lesser known" definition thingy. Then again, I guess that's the Atlantic speaking. In Europe, Blind Guardian headline everything there is to headline.
I agree about those, especially BG. However, at least in America, Spock's Beard is pretty lesser known. I'll gladly post more by even more bands like Chalk Dinosaur though :D

I agree about those, especially BG. However, at least in America, Spock's Beard is pretty lesser known.

I'll second that. I'd never before heard of Spock's Beard. And while Blind Guardian is certainly the best-known of those bands, I'll happily bet that no more than 1 in a 100 randomly selected Americans has ever heard of them. (BG is my favorite Continental European band, btw. The Scorpions and Accept are first and second runners-up, but The Gathering is gaining ground.)

I think if a band is in the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame (like Heart is) they officially do not qualify as "lesser known." :p

Ya, here in America, those bands aren't nearly as popular as they should be.

Back