Am I the only One Who thinks LOTF sung by Bruce sucks ?

rideon77

Educated Fool
Imean, I read a lot of Blaze bashing singing Bruce's tracks out of his range. But this one is really horrible. First it's downtuned to let Bruce sing It an octave higher ( for what reason???, They could have done that for Blaze being a baritone), It sounds forced, It looses the original power and darkness . To me It was really horrible, and then I read comments on YouTube like "Bruce made this Song great " etc....c'mon , an Epic fail to me

Last edited:
Easily one of the live tracks that I return to the most. Bruce's performance gives me chills every time. That doesn't mean that the original isn't great as well though.

The original is best but it’s fun to hear Bruce do it in an altered format. Still pisses me off that he fucked up the chorus lyrics though.

Sucks? Wow! The verses are great by both of them, but the chorus is probably my least favorite of all the choruses Blaze has sung on his albums (along with FOW). The version with Bruce is just great. Superb song. And I don't think it loses its original power, the darkness, yes.

a reviewer on YouTube or some other streaming service mentioned something about how "Fortunes of War" was somewhat similar to the "Grunge" music popular during that time. I honestly don't see a strong connection between FoW and Grunge, but I can see a similarity between the sound and styling of LoTF and the Grunge aesthetic.

Sucks? Wow! The verses are great by both of them, but the chorus is probably my least favorite of all the choruses Blaze has sung on his albums (along with FOW). The version with Bruce is just great. Superb song. And I don't think it loses its original power, the darkness, yes.
The song is in my top 5 ever...To me it's just Bruce's performance that sounds out of contest, I cannot listen to that version absolutely, horrible, it lacks of power in the verses and the chorus is strained. This is a strong live version of the song , vocally

The song is in my top 5 ever...To me it's just Bruce's performance that sounds out of contest, I cannot listen to that version absolutely, horrible, it lacks of power in the verses and the chorus is strained. This is a strong live version of the song , vocally
Sounds good musically, but I'm one of those that was put off by his voice from the very start listening to Sign of the Cross for the first time. Good guy, just can't listen to him sing...

Both versions are great. The only downside to DOTR is that Bruce was slightly sick, IIRC. That's why he sounds rather tired on the whole album.

Both versions are great. The only downside to DOTR is that Bruce was slightly sick, IIRC. That's why he sounds rather tired on the whole album.
I know they would take a loss but I would rather them scrap a planned recording for a video/album if Bruce was ill. Nights of the Dead should never have been released, IMO.

Clansman and Sign of the Cross you can tell Bruce was into the material, Futureal, Man on the Edge, and Lord of the Flies by Bruce just feels a bit uninspired and going through the motions.
I know they would take a loss but I would rather them scrap a planned recording for a video/album if Bruce was ill. Nights of the Dead should never have been released, IMO.
I'd be okay with them releasing a second album from the Legacy of the Beast "series" of live albums (of two) from the last leg, and treating Nights of the Dead sorta like an official bootleg. Bruce was in 100% better form this go-round than just about any 2019 recording I've heard including NotD, you'd get the three new songs, and in theory, we'd have a much better finished product with which to look back on that tour.

Looking back at the live albums, they tend to release shows where Bruce is either sick or has other difficulties. LAD (because of the grueling schedule), Maiden England, DOTR, NOTD (all feature a sick Bruce); some of them were simply bad luck. NOTD should've been scrapped and they should've chosen better shows, since IIRC they're recording all shows anyway. Coupled with the fact that it's audio only and they don't have to pretend to sync the visuals to the audio, they could've easily chosen a better show. Maybe something from 2018, where Bruce was in much better shape.

Eh, can't change it anymore. I'll never understand some of the decisions of the Maiden camp.

Back