ALTER BRIDGE SURVIVOR 2014: Results -> Fortress wins!

Satisfied with the results? / Favorite Alter Bridge album?

• Total voters

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
SURVIVOR_RULES_014.jpg

Welcome to Alter Bridge Survivor!
There will be 4 albums in the game. Bonus songs are also included.
We start off with the first Alter Bridge album - One Day Remains.
Save Me is a song that was recorded during this album's sessions and appeared on Elektra OST.
This round will last for 5 days.
Blackbird will join the game in the next round.
Enjoy!

I only have 2 songs rated at 2 stars on this album: In Loving Memory, Shed My Skin. Gave them another listen but no help, they get my vote.

Okay. Save Me is definitely the weakest of the bunch, so I'll put that aside.

Find the Real is a top 10 song for me. That's the perfect first song ever from a band: it's heavy, it's energetic, it's catchy. Makes you want to find out more about the band, so it's everything that a newly started band should offer. And, along with the title track, makes a very decisive step away from anything Creed has done before, making it clear that Alter Bridge are a radically different band.

Open Your Eyes is slightly different because it takes a more arena-like approach, offering what later became the typical AB anthemic chorus. Not my favorite by far, but it sounds great live, so still not voting for it.

Burn it Down is one of my favourite songs - Myles' vocal performance is flawless and the song is very atmospheric. It evolves perfectly from the barely muttered first verse to the soaring and chilling closing vocal melodies. Brilliant!

Metalingus - AB's biggest hit from the album and for a good reason. Displays perfectly what the band is ready to do. Also, Tremonti is a beast.

Broken Wings - not a bad song, but a bit soppy. The closest thing to the former style the guys used to have in the years before. Gets my vote.

In Loving Memory - took me a long time to get into that song. Although anyone can theoretically relate to it, I only realised its power after seeing its live performance from the Amsterdam DVD. Very emotional. The crowd singing the words back at Tremonti, while he's obviously struggling with his emotions - goosebumps!

Down to My Last is a decent song, although not as good as some of the others. Will be voting for it soon.

Watch Your Words - angry, raw and fun. Love it.

Shed My Skin - a very atmospheric and personal song. Great vocal melodies.

The End is Near - to me, the logical continuation to Shed My Skin. Works great as a closer.

SURVIVOR_RULES_014.jpg

Eliminated:
In Loving Memory - 3 votes
Broken Wings - 2 votes
Down To My Last - 2 votes
Save Me - 2 votes

Blackbird joins the game! Last 3 songs are bonuses.

Listened to both albums tonight. I think the first one is slightly better and cohesive and songs are more unique. Blackbird is a great album until the title track, then the quality drops drastically after it. Voting for One Day, Words, Shed - to promote the other 5. Also Buried, One By One, Watch, Knuckles, Wayward.

One Day Remains is definitely more cohesive but this shouldn't come as a surprise, as it was entirely written by Tremonti alone. Blackbird, on the other hand, may have its weaker moments, but it's a decisive step towards what later became the Alter Bridge sound. And I certainly disagree that Knuckles or Wayward One are weaker than anything on the first album. Both are among my favourites on Blackbird.

Blackbird, on the other hand, may have its weaker moments, but it's a decisive step towards what later became the Alter Bridge sound.
True.

Favorite from the first album: Metalingus, The End Is Here (insane riffs/melodies)
Favorite from the second album: Ties That Bind, Blackbird

I'll definitely continue listening to these albums to help me vote in later rounds, maybe I'll change my opinion on some songs :ok:

Blackbird has become one of my favourite albums in the course of this year. It has some weak spots, but damn, if the title track isn't everything hard rock music is about...

SURVIVOR_RULES_014.jpg

Eliminated:
We Don't Care At All - 4 votes
Watch Your Words - 3 votes
Shed My Skin - 3 votes
Watch Over You - 3 votes

Running out of 2-star songs, now voting against 3-star songs...
Open Your Eyes
Burn It Down
The End Is Here
One By One
Break Me Down
White Knuckles
Wayward One

SURVIVOR_RULES_014.jpg

Eliminated:
One By One - 3 votes
One Day Remains - 2 votes
Break Me Down - 2 votes
White Knuckles - 2 votes
Wayward One - 2 votes

Promoted:
Find The Real
Open Your Eyes
Burn It Down
Metalingus
The End Is Here

AB III joins the game! Last 3 songs are bonus songs. And another extended round it is :)

I have a very irrational, inexplicable dislike for Before Tomorrow Comes and Ghost of Days Gone By. Breathe Again is possibly the worst AB song ever. Apart from these three, also voting for Make It Right and Zero.

I have a very irrational, inexplicable dislike for Before Tomorrow Comes

Curious, why? One of my favorites, and the same for my friends here in Denver. Everyone I know loves that song.

Edit: I just realized I asked you to explain something which you already said was inexplicable. Never mind... :cool:

Yeah, that's the thing. Everyone I know likes the song, while with me it's not just a feeling of it being a meh-song, it's an active dislike. I'd skip it most times I listen to Blackbird. I think the biggest problem for me is the opening riff (is that even a riff?) and since I know nothing of music theory, I have no idea what bugs me there. It just sounds wrong to me.

Were you a Creed fan? It's a very Creedy riff, using the same musical techniques. It may be AB's closest to "Creed with a good singer".

Slip To The Void, Make It Right and everything after Show Me A Sign. Where are the other voters? :p

Back