Adrian's Solo Discography Ranked - The Complete List

If interested, Andy Makin (probably!) has posted in the Adrian Smith topic. Name: lungbuster, page 5 and 6.

Andy Makin did also post at the old Iron Maiden Fan Club message board a few times. I managed to interview him by e-mail a few years ago; the interview never got published anywhere though. Nice guy!

By the way, the guitar player in Nine Miles Down is Eddie Marsh, who is (or at least was on the TBOS tour) Janick's guitar tech. :)

Here it is for your reading pleasure. Please bear in mind that it is a decade old, it was based on an e-mail Q&A session with Andy, and I am no journalist!

1. Getting started and being chosen as the new Psycho Motel singer.

First of all, would you be so kind to introduce yourself to all the readers? When were you born and how did you become interested in music? Were there any musicians in your family or was it the usual thing of getting together with mates trying to emulate your heroes?

Well my name’s Andy Makin and I was born 12th Sept ’72 in Birmingham England. No musicians in my family – although my Mothers not a bad singer. I got into music through my Father who was always playing the Kinks or Queen on his HiFi and I just fell in love with raw guitars. I then got into some ACDC and Led Zeppelin when my cousin gave me some of her old albums and I was hooked. Then of course mates at school shared their stuff – Maiden AC/DC Motorhead Rainbow all that kind of stuff. From there it seemed a natural progression to try and emulate these guys.

What were the most influential bands in those early years?

So many! Early Maiden (with Dianno) especially the Killers album, I still love that record. Metallica were just kicking off then and that was a big “Wow, this is different” moment. AC/DC, Purple, The Police (Stewart Copeland what a drummer), loads of bands really – I was just a sponge and tried to soak up as much music as I could.

When did you begin to play in bands?

I was 13 and I started playing the bass with some friends – I kind of got volunteered for it – we already had a drummer (which is secretly what I wanted to be) and at the time I couldn’t play guitar. From there I made it to the drums and my first ever gig was stand in for a drummer in a blues band. They were all a lot older than me (in there twenties!!) and I played with those guys for a couple of years – a great education in what to play and what to leave out.

Was singing your first choice? Which singers did you like most when you began playing music?

Like I’ve said I wanted to be a drummer. But it was during a Blues gig that we found ourselves with two drummers and no singer. Typical singer didn’t turn up! Anyway I volunteered and it went pretty well. Some girl came up to me after the show and said “You’re a much better singer than you are a drummer” and I took that as a compliment!!!

How did you get the Psycho Motel gig? Did you have to audition for the band? Were you a fan of Iron Maiden or Psycho Motel before? Have you released any music before the Psycho Motel experience?

They put an advert in a magazine and I sent off a very bad demo to them. Oh yes I had to audition – nightmare. They had all these guys who sounded like the original guy – even the look – big hair Robert Plant type voices. Not my bag really. Adrian had sent me a copy of the first CD so that I could learn the songs and of course they were all in too high a key for me! So I sat down and worked out different vocals for all the songs. That’s what I came to the audition with, a completely reworked batch of Psycho Motel songs. A bit worrying really as I thought Adrian would either hate me for destroying his work or like it cos it sounded so different. Guess he liked it!

2. Psycho Motel

How did you and Adrian approach the song writing for “Welcome to the world”? How was working with Adrian different than doing it with other musicians?

We didn’t really approach the writing, we ran at it head on. We only had a month or so to get as many songs written, demoed, tweaked, re-written, demoed, polished etc. What’s it like working with Adrian? Very very easy. He has a fantastic ear for melody and song structure. A very natural songwriter. He’s also someone I can genuinely have a laugh with. He’s a genuine guy who cares about the quality of his work.

Were you surprised with the virtually nonexistent promotion for “Welcome to the world”? What would in your opinion explain the lack of support from the record company?

Surprised? Yep damn right I was. I was 24 going on 25 at the time and extremely naive where the industry was concerned. A few people outright lied to me. Psycho was to my mind Sanctuary management’s way of patting Adrian on the head and saying “yes dear off you go and have fun with your friends.”

Rod Smallwood didn’t know what to do with the band especially as we sounded so different to the first album so he passed the buck onto one manager then another. I think we became the hot potato that nobody wanted. They were much happier with Adrian when he was working with Bruce as that was much more of a selling point and that kind of thing virtually markets itself.

Why was the album initially released just in Japan?

No idea. I guess because we were still signed up with Victor in Japan. And again no promotion.

Do you know how many copies were sold?

No. I could never get a straight answer out of anyone. I still don’t know.

Was a tour planned in support of the album or did Adrian’s commitment with Bruce Dickinson make it impossible to happen at all?

There was talk of all sorts. We were going to do a small promo tour – I was going to tag along with Adrian on Bruce’s tour and do some acoustic gigs and meet and greets – hit the radio stations etc. On top of that there was talk of the band jumping on a support tour. Names like Megadeth and Alice in Chains were banded about at the time but it all came to nothing.

Did you play any gigs?

Just the one – a charity concert in aid of War Child. We played a load of Lizzy covers with Scott Gorham and also did Wasted Years with Bruce and he and I did a duet on “Psycho Motel.”

What are the best memories from that time? And the worst?

Hanging out with Mike Gary and Adrian – and of course Simon Hanhart the producer. He became like a member of the band to me. They are all very very nice people. The worst thing was the management idiots. I don’t have many regrets in my life but one is that the album was never given the push it deserved. I put a lot of heart and soul into that record.

3. After Psycho Motel

Did you see that an Iron Maiden reunion was possible back in 1998? Did you ever consider that Adrian would like to rejoin the band he had left a decade earlier to do other stuff? Did he talk about a possible reunion with you before it actually took place? How did Adrian explain you all his decision? Were you disappointed or was it something expected?

There were rumours – I had already said to myself that it looked a far more attractive proposition for Adrian. At the time I was still being told about the great album we’d just done and how it was going to be marketed really well etc. Was I disappointed? Yes. But it was a good decision for Adrian – Maiden takes over you know? It’s easy to step back into a comfortable bubble than have to go it on your own which is effectively what Adrian had been doing for many years.

What do you think of the albums that Maiden have done with Adrian and Bruce since 1999?

They’re ok – they’re still a fantastic band and no one in the world sounds like them. I was a fan of the very early stuff – I guess I still am.

What have you been doing since the split? And Mike and Gary? Have you all been in touch with Adrian?

I found myself without a band – driving back to Wales thinking, “Oh shit what do I do now?” I had no job and no money. I ended up getting asked to join a band in Oregon. I went over there and spent 3 months with those guys (a band called Henryschild). We recorded and released and album called “The Satellite Trampoline 3 e.p.), which I am very proud of. Very low budget recorded by us and I still love the raw sound of it. Mike is teaching music and still does session work. What a fantastic drummer – a technician with soul! And Gary was doing session work last time I heard. They actually are the backing band for a song that went number one here back in 98 I think. It was Lou Reeds “Perfect Day” with Bono, Elton John and Reed singing along with a host of other celebs. A charity record.

Is there any chance that you will work with Adrian again in the future?

I’d love to. He makes writing so easy as you can bounce ideas off each other. He’s a very good man.

Are you singing with any band nowadays? Is there a way to get hold of the stuff you have recorded from 1997 until now?

Well after I came back from the states I got married. About a year later the marriage broke down and on top of that my Fathers illness became steadily worse. I found myself sleeping on friends’ couches without work and not much of a future. So I picked myself up and got a job working on computers then when that dried up digging holes from 6am till 7pm. At the moment I’m working as an administrator in an office and have a beautiful new relationship and some stability in my life. I still sing and record. I’m in the process of getting a band together to have some fun and maybe more. If anyone wants the stuff that I recorded in the States I can make it available.

One thing I’d like to make clear is that all Adrian wants to do is plug in his guitar and play a melody. He is a consummate professional and in my opinion one of the best guitarists out there. I am very grateful for the opportunity and experience that I had with Psycho. It is bitter sweet when I recall those times – especially when I think of what the third album could have been like. But them’s the breaks! I had a fantastic opportunity and loved every minute of it!

Would you be so kind to explain the meaning and the motivations of the lyrics of the songs from “Welcome to the world”? I think you wrote most of them, so perhaps you can explain what kind of ideas and sentiments you wanted to express with them. How did you approach singing the lyrics you didn’t write, such as ‘Rain’, ‘Underground’, ‘Welcome to the world’ and ‘Innocence’?

1. The Last Chain

This was about drugs – fairly self explanatory, I just had a cool line and we wrapped a song around it basically. “Addiction slowly wrapped around the place I once thought solid ground – and now my highs just bring me down…”

2. A Quarter To Heaven

This was a combination thing – I wanted to talk about suicide and also the fact that we are constantly trying to achieve our own personal level of happiness or utopia but whenever we reach our goals we find that sometimes they aren’t quite what we imagined – hence a quarter to heaven rather than heaven itself.

3. Rain

Adrian’s lyrics this one. One of my favourites simply because when I was going through the audition process I had to sing this on a rough demo. At the end of the song on the album I kind of go for it at the end, which is exactly what I did on the demo. It was one of the deciding factors that got me the job. A great song.

4. Believe

OK. This was about two things – foul weather faith – and also my mind set towards religion at the time. foul weather faith being people who only pray when times are hard. Their faith seems to be rekindled only when shit hits the fan. I guess I find that strange, either you believe or you don’t. And also I was questioning if there is an almighty being who loves us unconditionally then why are the numerous disasters and atrocities that happen every year allowed to happen? But it is JUST a song!

5. With You Again

This is about my Father – my life growing up in a very happy family with a Father who had a terminal illness that was never allowed to over shadow the love. I sometimes wish I could go back to that time.

6. Into The Black

Ah…the C-tuned one. This actually started out as a quite normal rocky riff that Adrian had written. But the key it was in was way to high for the melody the vocals were supposed to sing so we tuned it down to infinity and it became this really heavy monster. Another puppy love song about roses and cream cake. Well actually it’s about dying – and finding no light at the end of the tunnel. Out of the blue and into the black. Also a metaphor for birth into the violent world we live in.

7. No Loss To Me

I bought these lyrics from “Heavy Metal Song Book Volume 1. How to write heavy lyrics…Ok maybe not but this was a quickie. In other words I threw the lyrics down onto paper and never polished them. They were ok – not my favourite.

8. Underground

Adrian’s lyrics – we actually rewrote the song in the studio and needed an extra verse which we desperately created at the last minute. Sounds very good though and a song that really grew on me.

9. Welcome To The World

Another masterpiece from Adrian. I love this song – great lyrics from Adrian. And a great solo. Just a comment on the state of the world really.

10. Something Real

This is about searching for something tangible in a very materialistic world.

11. Innocence

Mike’s song. One of my personal favourites. I hope I did his writing justice.

12. I'm Alive

Started out as a blatant rip off of Hendrix – then we ended up tuning down cos my voice doesn’t do the girly voice thing. Scott Gorham wails on that track.

13. Hypocrisy

Me Gary and Adrian got together for this one with a bass riff that Gary had. I kind of intended the lyrics to lean towards a few people I’d met who were very much living in the past and on their past glories.

By the way, did Mike have any concern with the lyrics of ‘Believe’? He seems to be a religious person – at least that’s what one could think reading the thanks section on the album – and the lyrics are slightly controversial (although I find them pretty interesting). Are you religious at all?

Yep Mike did have concerns and he has a very strong faith – he was very cool though. He took me to one side and we talked out the lyrics and what I was trying to say.

Am I religious? No not really – each to their own. I sometimes envy strong faith and religion is fascinating.

How did the writing credits work in Psycho Motel?

Whoever writes gets credited. The songs I wrote were a 50 50 with Adrian – at the time I needed a guitarist’s input to get a song done. And also a lot of those riffs were already in Adrian’s head. These days – well I’ve been playing guitar for 17 years or so now so I don’t have that problem. Adrian really is so easy to write with. We clicked together incredibly well.

I’ve been re-reading old interviews with Adrian (right after the release of “Brave new world”, doing promotion for the release of both Pyscho Motel albums) and he was constantly praising your vocals. Moreover, he kept on saying that he had the intention to continue working with you when Maiden didn’t have anything planned, perhaps not in a band situation but more like a solo project. Apparently he wanted to do some acoustic stuff with you. Did you talk about it back in late 2000 or 2001?

We were supposed to do some acoustic shows as a promotional thing for the album which never happened. It would have been cool as we did do an acoustic song that never made the record. It was called “Winter’s Child”. It only made it to demo stage but it really is a very good song. I dug it out the other day and it still sounds fresh.

Have you kept in touch with Adrian lately? If you have, have you discussed working together in the near future? (Personal opinion: it would be great if you get together once again to create something).

Not lately no. My life kind of got turned upside down and I was living on friends charity etc for awhile before finally sorting myself out. But I do intend to get in touch with him again. He’s a friend and I miss him and the Smith family.

If you haven’t been in touch, do you see a future collaboration possible? (First probably Adrian should stop devoting his free time to fishing… Just joking!)

If he wanted to do something I would be there like a shot. I just want to play music and write quality stuff. And with Adrian you’re guaranteed of that.

Just one last thing on a personal note: is it possible to get hold of the stuff you recorded in the States anywhere?

I’ll send you a CD if you like. Low budget – home recording – back to basics beauty!

And, true to his word, he sent me a copy of the CD. :D

I feel a bit sad thinking of how things went, what was said, and hope expressed for another collaboration. And then Adrian turns to another singer. Well, I hope all the best for Makin.

I feel a bit sad thinking of how things went, what was said, and hope expressed for another collaboration. And then Adrian turns to another singer. Well, I hope all the best for Makin.

Andy Makin was one of Adrian's guests the last time Maiden played in Cardiff, so they are still in touch. :)

Here is something VERY interesting. During the Brave New World tour, I went to the show at Irvine Meadows in Southern California, where Halford and Queensryche opened for Maiden. During Maiden's preparation, one of the intermission songs the venue played had a guitarist that sounded very familiar......... A little while later after I had bought Psycho Motel's Welcome to the World I realized that the song was "A Quarter to Heaven"

Last edited:
Reactions: Jer
Just a reminder that I'll be checking in about a week from now to see if we're ready to close the voting yet. If you'd like to participate and haven't started yet, now would be a good time.

If we get to the end of July and need to extend a bit, we can certainly do that. I want to be sure that everyone who wants a chance to vote gets that chance.

I’m not sure when I’ll get to the Urchin stuff but I think I’m ready to send in all the other stuff. I’ll get to that tonight or sometime later today.

Still haven't got to the listening yet, been busy the last few weeks. I'll see if I can get it all done this weekend.

A.S.A.P. - Silver and Gold
  • The Lion - 8/10
  • Silver and Gold - 7/10
  • Down the Wire - 7/10
  • You Could Be A King - 5/10
  • After the Storm - 6/10
  • Misunderstood - 6/10
  • Kid Gone Astray - 6/10
  • Fallen Heroes - 5/10
  • Wishing Your Life Away - 5/10
  • Blood on the Ocean - 6/10
Thoughts: Well, it isn't really my cup of tea. I won't call any of the songs objectively bad, it's just that very few of them genuinely caught my interest. In its heavier moments, the album feels a bit like Whitesnake meets Bryan Adams, but mostly it's very bland, even boring. At times I just kept looking at the remaining duration of a song, like "when is this one gonna end?". Alright, I accept that he probably wanted to do different, and I do spot the progressive rock elements reminiscent of SSOASS somewhere in there, but really, overall it's been a very underwhelming experience. The first two songs are great, though, with "The Lion" probably the best track on the entire record. "Down the Wire" is decent too. I also have to give praise to all the guitar solos - they are absolutely brilliant throughout, but even that can't save most of the tunes.
Still, it was pretty much was I was expecting after reading the other reviews in this thread, and I hope the next couple of albums will be more down my alley :)
  • Blood Brothers - 4/10
  • Fighting Man - 6/10
  • When She's Gone - 7/10
  • School Days - 5/10

OK, sounds like @Confeos and @Diesel 11 are still working on their votes. Anyone else still working on it, or haven't started yet and still want to get their votes in?

I'll plan to leave the voting open until everyone who's expressed interest has their votes in, or until we get to the end of August, whichever comes first.

OK, sounds like @Confeos and @Diesel 11 are still working on their votes. Anyone else still working on it, or haven't started yet and still want to get their votes in?

I'll plan to leave the voting open until everyone who's expressed interest has their votes in, or until we get to the end of August, whichever comes first.
I may wish to change a couple of votes. Not sure if I can manage that soon though. If next week is possible, that would be fine.

Psycho Motel - State Of Mind
  • Sins Of Your Father - 7/10
  • World's On Fire - 6/10
  • Psycho Motel - 7/10
  • Western Shore - 8/10
  • Rage - 8/10
  • Killing Time - 7/10
  • Time Is A Hunter - 6/10
  • Money To Burn - 8/10
  • City Of Light - 6/10
  • Excuse Me - 5/10
  • Last Goodbye - 6/10
  • (Can't) Wait - 7/10

This could've been a great album. I feel like it SHOULD have been a great album, because there's so much potential in this. I definitely like it more than the A.S.A.P. one, but it's a flawed beast, for sure. As others have noted, there are some absolutely blinding riffs to be found, and it proves it can get really melodic too. The main problem for me is basically the arrangements of most of the songs. Whether its pointless heavy parts (as in "Western Shore", I mean... just why?) or incredibly lame vocals (the pre-chorus of "World's on Fire" and the verses of "Excuse Me"), a number of tracks suffer from something that just feels misplaced compared to the rest of it. I know many would say it's because it's progressive, but I dunno... Despite that strange middle part, though, "Western Shore" is probably the strongest song, whereas "Excuse Me" is the weakest by far. I can't help but being reminded of britpop in the intro and verses - one of my most hated genres of music.
Overall, I'd still say the album is mostly enjoyable, but it's lacking a magical moment or two that could elevate it above being merely good. It appeals more to me than Silver and Gold, so whether or not the next album finally fulfills the potential shall be interesting. :)

Yeah alright, it could be a grunge-y vibe I'm getting from it. But grunge never did anything for me either, so :) if we're talking Alice in Chains, they had a great singer, but that's about as far as my interest goes.

Back