Adrian's Lado Laser

pilau

Nomad
This is a question for Zare or some other knowledgeable person :)

Do you know which effects and/or MIDI instruments are built into Adrian's Lado Laser (used exclusively on SSOASS era)?

Anyone knows?

Lado is a guitar brand (like e.g. Jackson or Fender).

He also used a Lado in the mid eighties. In the LAD artwork you can see it on one of the pictures (at least on my double LP). If not mistaken he played his Lado on (at least) Aces High, during the World Slavery Tour, so you can see this one on the DVD as well.

I don't know the answer though, and I never even realized he had another Lado at the SSOASS tour..

Yes he had one. You can read all about Adrian's guitars in the "Adrian's Axes" thread in the forum. Look it up.

A clarificiation: The Lado guitar used on LAD is a Lado Earth Grayburst, one of two Lado Earths Adrian customly ordered from Lado in the early 80s. The Lado he used on SSOASS is a blue Lado Laser. Look for the blue spikey guitar he rocks with on The Clairvoyant in Maiden England.

Still, does anybody has some details on the guts of that guitar?

By the sound of it, ergo, by the lack of sound difference between Lazer and his Jackson strat on Maiden England, i'd say it also has DiMarzio Super Distortion on the bridge.

By the looks of it, it has a standard MIDI pickup, with all knobology that goes with it. There are no "MIDI instruments" in it, those "instruments" are sound banks on the MIDI controlled synthesizer/sampler (external, probably rack'ed) that he's feeding with his pickup to recreate various sounds.

That's Latin for (I presume in this case) "therefore" / "thus".

Maybe Zare meant "I mean (in this case)"

Okay, thanks, both to Zare and Forostar for the answers :)

I found a few websites about guitar synths - very interesting stuff! I have to try this in my band :)

There's one thing I didn't manage to clarify, though. There's a 13-pin cable connected to the MIDI kit on the guitar to carry the MIDI signal to the synthesizer, right? So are there two cables that are plugged into the electric guitar (one for MIDI, one for audio signal), or is the 13-pin cable able to carry the audio signal using some circuitry?

MIDI cables (the "13-pin cable" you're referring to) only carry MIDI signals, and no other kind of signals.

Attempting to send non-MIDI signals thru a MIDI setup will make your MIDI synth stand up, slap you like a bitch, and say "What the fuck, holmes?"

That's pitch signal carrier. The MIDI pickup on the guitar is divided...meaning that six elements are catching frequency of the each string separately. The pitch signals are transferred to conversion module (external), which has enough circuitry to figure out what notes are you hitting from the nicely separated signals.

Later, that same information can be converted to MIDI. If you take a look at Roland's popular sets, you can't use the system without their "guitar synth", a floor device which contains pitch-MIDI converter.

BTW. MIDI is simple old serial protocol, 31200 cps rated. You need three wires to achieve full MIDI communication, rx, tx and ground. Since MIDI guitar doesn't need to receive any input, full MIDI pickup would require only two wires (tx and ground) to operate.

Okay, I got it. Assuming Adrian's module is not the Roland GK2 or GK3 (because of the many knobs incorporated to his guitar. I saw around 5-6 and Roland's module has 3-4), he could use two regular guitar cables to transfer both the audio and MIDI, right? And then use whatever synthesizer he wants

No, you cannot use regular guitar cable.

Guitar has MIDI pickup, but the MIDI pickup isn't MIDI at all. It's just called that way because it's a part of MIDI guitar system. The pickup is, basically, a crystal divided pickup. Imagine a guitar pickup that doesn't have one analog signal wire which contains all caught frequencies, but six wires, each containing frequencies resonated from a single guitar string.

Therefore, you'll have a cable with 6 wires minimum, going from a guitar to some external equipment. Only from that equipment, you'll have MIDI output.

I haven't yet seen a guitar that has true MIDI output.

Oh, I see, now it all makes sense. :) Thanks a lot

So to sum it up, do you know what module H is using with his Lado or with his Jackson? And what synthesizer, too?

It's some early Roland, since Roland was first to do that things in mid-late 80's. Regarding the synth, don't have a clue. It can be anything.

If you're trying to recreate it, you can do it with any modern synth module or VSTi simulation. Sounds used on SiT and SSOASS were pretty generic.

Zare said:
If you're trying to recreate it, you can do it with any modern synth module or VSTi simulation. Sounds used on SiT and SSOASS were pretty generic.

Yeah, that's right :)
Thanks a lot!

Here's a pic that will clarify (i.e. just another excuse to post a pic of my axes)

The blue one is a Lado Earth 2003. The green one is a Lado Lazer (it's spelled with a Z folks). As you can see, they are very similar. The only real difference is the little cutout at the bottom. 
LADOS.jpg

Back