Adrian's 2010 pedal board settings

KostamojeN

Invader
Hi, I'm playing with my Adrian Smith setup... I have the lexicon MX200 and a JMP-1...

Any ideas or suggestions for what his presets are for at this time?

Basically, I'm looking for ideas of songs where I could listen to the guitar tones and figure out how to replicate them for these patches.

Attachments

• AS Pedals SUGGESTIONS.JPG
    AS Pedals SUGGESTIONS.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Long Delay - Could be the long delays from the interlude of Seventh Son?

Also the octave setting I have, seems good on the main riff of TETMD and the melody of SSOASS...

Hi, I'm playing with my Adrian Smith setup... I have the lexicon MX200 and a JMP-1...

Any ideas or suggestions for what his presets are for at this time?

Basically, I'm looking for ideas of songs where I could listen to the guitar tones and figure out how to replicate them for these patches.

D-Tune is probably a slight octaver effect. He uses different guitars for drop D.

Also it seems to me that at this time he was using seperate channel switching (the button on the left) for JCM2000, which he was using at that time, and the board is effects only. Nowadays he plays JVM's and has updated the switching to a Voodoo Lab controller and incorporates MIDI from the JVM.

Interesting. I had assumed the boss switcher on the left was to remote switch the Tubescreamer on and off (which is what I had planned to do on my rig....) Do you think he leaves his on all the time?

I know on Dave's rig there's a dual switch for the Mike Hill univibe/ tubescreamer unit.....

I would have imagined that amp switching would be done by his tech?

Thanks for the tip on the D tuning preset :)

Any other tips gratefully received :)

Interesting. I had assumed the boss switcher on the left was to remote switch the Tubescreamer on and off (which is what I had planned to do on my rig....) Do you think he leaves his on all the time?

I know on Dave's rig there's a dual switch for the Mike Hill univibe/ tubescreamer unit.....

I would have imagined that amp switching would be done by his tech?

Thanks for the tip on the D tuning preset :)

Any other tips gratefully received :)

H actually has 2 tubescreamers and they are incorporated into the MIDI switching somehow, I think.

H actually has 2 tubescreamers and they are incorporated into the MIDI switching somehow, I think.
My assumption was that they were wired separately into the a/b rigs - because he has 2 of everything else too (apart from the power amp and the Peavey TransTube FEX unit).

Last edited:
I just noticed something interesting... If you look at the attached image of H's rack, one of the Tubescreamers and one of the JMP1's isn't wired in.

Looks like the B rig was not currently in use (or this photo was taken during rewiring?).

Another reason I think the Boss Footswitch is not for amp switching, is that it is a simple ON/OFF.

Anyway, I have made a diagram of how I think one rig is wired. :)

Attachments

• 82f6f038-ca0f-46f4-91d7-41b1156324bb.JPG
    82f6f038-ca0f-46f4-91d7-41b1156324bb.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 41
  • FlowDiagram.jpg
    FlowDiagram.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
I just noticed something interesting... If you look at the attached image of H's rack, one of the Tubescreamers and one of the JMP1's isn't wired in.

Looks like the B rig was not currently in use (or this photo was taken during rewiring?).

Another reason I think the Boss Footswitch is not for amp switching, is that it is a simple ON/OFF.

Anyway, I have made a diagram of how I think one rig is wired. :)

Well, Sean does all of the muting of the rig and pack switching, so it's not on-off. Also, the JMP's are backups and haven't been used for anything since 2004 or so I think, except maybe for in-ears which is a common practice (e.g. Josh Klinghoffer does that with RHCP for others' in-ears).

I'm almost certain that the Boss switch was for JCM2000 channel switching. Simply because it was eliminated since H's switch to JVM410's (those have complex switching, while JCM2000's have pretty primitive).

According to the Boss/Roland website, the BOSS FS-5L is definitely a simple on off switch.

Maybe the JCM2000 is to power the B Rig (as the cable is going in the front) - but one of the JMP1's is definitely in use for something. :)

I agreee though, that there don't appear to be any lights on the JMP1's and both the power switches on the JVM2000s seem to be lit up :)

According to the Boss/Roland website, the BOSS FS-5L is definitely a simple on off switch.

Maybe the JCM2000 is to power the B Rig (as the cable is going in the front) - but one of the JMP1's is definitely in use for something. :)

Well, that's what all primitive amp footswitches are. On-off switches.

In reality there are only 2 types of footswitches. Momentary ones and on-off ones.

I agreee though, that there don't appear to be any lights on the JMP1's and both the power switches on the JVM2000s seem to be lit up :)

Well, H used (since reunion):

-ADA preamp + Marshall power amp (1999)
-JMP1 + Marshall power amp (2000-2003) (Ditched, because his sound was to similar to Jan and Dave, who both play JMP's, according to H. This is when, I assume those 2 units were mounted into the rack but not taken out. Keep in mind that there is still the Roland synth but wasn't used since 2007)
-Marshall 30th Anniversary heads (2003-2007)
-DSL 100 JCM2000's (2008-2011)
-JVM410 (2012-present)

Here are the JVM's:

As you can see, they updated the switching and wirelesses, added Furman power conditioner and a Boss Super Chorus.

Ooh, very cool pic! I haven't seen that before. :)

The reason I'm looking at the older setup though, is because I'm trying to set up my own kit.

Attachments

• AdrianRig.jpeg
    AdrianRig.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 24
  • AdrianPedals.jpeg
    AdrianPedals.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 29
CH most definitely refers to chorus, since he uses that in a few spots and it fits in with the effects-oriented nature of the rest of the presets.

Yeah that seems most likely.

I mostly want to figure out if there are any specific songs that would be useful to check out for any specific tones.

Here ya go, the LOTB setup:

Stage right guitar tech Sean Brady looks after Adrian Smith, having been his tech for the last 16+ years. “Over that time, as the type of equipment evolved, we have found different ways to make it easier for Adrian to do what he needs to during the show. The basis for his sound has always been Marshall amplification and cabinets, using Celestion speakers, with a Shure wireless system. At the moment, we’re using Marshall JVM 410H heads, as they are very versatile with four channels and three voices per channel. They are also MIDI controllable, which gives Adrian a lot of options during the show.”

RF for guitar has also evolved, Brady notes. “We’ve just brought in the new Shure Axient wireless system on this leg of the tour and are very happy with the sound and its ease of use. We use the Dunlop remote rack Wah unit to allow Adrian to have a remote Wah pedal out on stage without having to send the signal down 120 feet of cable but still having that great Dunlop Wah sound! For the last eight years or so we have been using a Voodoo Lab GCX audio switcher and Ground Control Pro MIDI pedalboard. This lets Adrian control various stomp boxes in his rack, his JVM heads and his Lexicon FX unit, using the pedalboard out on stage and allows me to do the same from a second board I have by his rack. The GCX gives a good transparent audio signal and gives us a versatile option for the different stomp boxes and FX loops he needs. At the moment, he’s using a Boss CH1 Super Chorus, Boss CS3 compressor/sustainer, Ibanez Tube Screamers and a DigiTech Eric Clapton ‘Crossroads’ pedal. His main FX unit for different delays is the Lexicon MX300. We have used Lexicon for the last 10 years and it gives him a lot of flexibility with his delay sounds and the control of them through his MIDI pedalboard.”

Peavey preamp is gone and also JVM's seem to have been brought in because of the MIDI switching.

Basically the current H's setup is:

Guitar -> CryBaby Rackmount -> Tube Screamer 1 -> Tube Screamer 2 -> Digitech Crossroads -> CS3 -> CH1 -> JVM Front -> JVM Send -> Lexicon MX300 -> JVM Return

All in loops of the VoodooLab GCX.

*It's possible that CS3 and CH1 are in the JVM loop too.

Controlled by VoodooLab GCX.

The rack-mounted Marshalls are spares and were used by Dave in 2017, when his JMP's were getting rebuilt AFAIK.

Last edited:
Also, H has gone to song-specific presets since switching to Voodoo Lab system and JVM's.

You can se that the controller here was set to Revelations preset during ME tour.

The top and middle rows turn individual pedals in the rack on or off. And the bottom row has 4 presets per song.

If I worked this out correctly the Ground Control Pro is set something like this:

Tuner on/off--------------CH1 on/off-------------CS3 on/off----------TS on/off---------Edit
MX300 on/off---------Crossroads on/off------------blank---------------blank---------Bank Up
Clean/Rythm-----------Rythm/Harmonies----Harmonies/Dry Lead------Lead---------Bank Down

Basically the top and the middle rows are fixed and they turn specific effect units on or off. But in the bottom row, there are 4 specific presets per song. And it depends on an individual song what those do.

Does the JVM with its MIDI functionality now effectively function like a JMP1 (ie, can you save different presets and instantly recall them?) ?

Back