Adrian, Janick and Dave's guitars and Steve's basses

matic22 This list is AMAZING!! Good job and I can relate to your obsession.

I may need your/forums help with a video in the future if possible? I just finished this video where I recreate the studio setup for the guitar's of Iron Maiden's first album. So in a month or two I want to do a Bruce era studio recreation.

Warning!!! I chat about the band and I'm sure nothing I say is news to most of you guys so bear with that aspect as I blab on.

You can see the gear I used in the vid description.

I just found this forum searching for info to see what year Murray went to hotrails. To judge what pickup I have to pick up for the new video. That will dictate what amps etc I have at my disposal. I'm hoping it's a 2203 Marshall and g12-65 speakers as I have those. Ibut I have most speakersfrom that era. I also have super distortion pickups for the LP etc along with tube screamers, MXR's, EQ's old Wah's etc.

Cheers!! I'd say "up the ir**s" but I'm a Tottenham fan. So "Come on you Spurs!!"

Hey, good video, I didn't want to comment this on YT but you're a bit wrong regarding management issues. Smallwood didn't let them waste money on the road. Adrian Smith testified that he saw first real money at the end of Piece Of Mind tour, and bought a house from it.

Hi welcome. Nice to see that the information in this thread was helpful to someone. Regearding what guitars and amps were used on Bruce era albums. From what I know:

TNOTB:
Adrian:
-Guitars: Ibanez Destroyer II, used on most of the album
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop with DiMarzio Super Distortion pickup in bridge position, used for some of the album, especially the clean parts (COTD)
-Amps: 50W Marshall JMP's

Dave:
-Guitar: Kossoff 1957 Strat with DiMarzio PAF and Super Distortion

POM:
Adrian:
-Guitars: Black Gibson Melody Maker, double cutaway and two humbuckers

Dave:

Powerslave:
Adrian:
-Guitars: Ibanez RoadstarII, Blue Sunburst

Dave:

SIT:
Adrian:
-Guitars: Jackson Custom Shop HSH stratocaster, white with black pickguard
Roland G-707 guitar synth controller
-Amps: Gallien Krueger 250ML

Dave:
-Guitars: Kossoff 1957 Strat with DiMarzio PAF and Super Distortion
1964 Stratocaster with same pickup configuration
-Amps: Gallien Krueger 250ML

SSOASS:
Adrian:
-Guitars: Jackson Custom Shop HSH stratocaster, white with black pickguard
-Amps: Gallien Krueger 2100SEL

Dave:
-Guitars: Kossoff 1957 Strat with DiMarzio PAF and Super Distortion
1964 Stratocaster with same pickup configuration
Electric Blue ESP Stratocaster
Cream ESP Stratocaster
-Amps: Gallien Krueger 2100SEL

That is what they used on classic albums AFAIK. +Effects. I think if you add a chorus and a tube screamer to that with a bit of reverb, you can get pretty close to H's tone. For Davey you are probably looking at a CryBaby Wah, MXR drive, a chorus, reverb and a script Phase 90 pedal.

I'll try to do the reunion albums when I return home.

Hope this helps. If I were you I would go for TNOTB/POM/Powerslave era in the next video, then the SIT/SSOASS in the next and lastly the reunion era, since the tones on those albums are quite similar.

P.S. Love your video.

Thats great! I'll give you/this forum a shoutout when I do the next vid. Really appreciate the effort.

Hey, good video, I didn't want to comment this on YT but you're a bit wrong regarding management issues. Smallwood didn't let them waste money on the road. Adrian Smith testified that he saw first real money at the end of Piece Of Mind tour, and bought a house from it.

Relatively he's a great manager and saw the bands vision through. But it has to be a huge coincidence that they happened to make the exact amount of money that their stage show cost at the time vs thier massive success.

So relatively they had a great manager. But I never trust anything a record executive says. Think about it...number of the beast was BEFORE Peice of Time. And how huge that album was? They had toured the world, thier music was in adverts, millions of tickets sold, millions of records etc etc. And it just happened there was only enough to pay them well AFTER another album and a year later.

The end of the piece of mind tour is a long long way into thier lifespan. Bands break up over that many years.

But! It's pure speculation on my part. Could be wrong!

Relatively he's a great manager and saw the bands vision through. But it has to be a huge coincidence that they happened to make the exact amount of money that their stage show cost at the time vs thier massive success.

So relatively they had a great manager. But I never trust anything a record executive says. Think about it...number of the beast was BEFORE Peice of Time. And how huge that album was? They had toured the world, thier music was in adverts, millions of tickets sold, millions of records etc etc. And it just happened there was only enough to pay them well AFTER another album and a year later.

The end of the piece of mind tour is a long long way into thier lifespan. Bands break up over that many years.

H said that they were living on 100 pounds per week during the Beast On The Road and World Piece tours. They indeen saw the first big chunk of money after the World Piece Tour.

P.S. I'll try to do a post about guitars on reunion albums when I get home.

Yes, it is a speculation on your part and you do draw some weird conclusions. I'd say that Rod forcing them to keep the money in-business until they make additional successful tour or two separates them from all the acts from the 1980s that burnt their money fast on cocaine and hookers. Besides, the latter half of the 1990s was highly unprofitable for them. The audiences fell down and the rather meh average attendance was kept afloat by going to new markets, who do not pay much as lost US and UK audience from the 80s. Simply put, a show in Bulgaria or Israel isn't going to pay as much as US or West Europe, per capita. The stash from the hey-day helped there, for sure.

Also check out "$25million" interview from the 1999. The band never lost control of catalogue and therefore they didn't have options for fast money back in the day, but I'll repeat, the band never lost control of the catalogue, and the whole "reunion" affair and grand productions of last 20 years were directly backed by that fact.

I have never heard badmouthing or Smallwood/Taylor team from anyone else than Paul Dianno. And he's a junkie, keep that in mind when having nostalgia trips to NWOBHM era.

I also had a blast watching your video, great tone, great playing, and welcome to the clan ;)

H said that they were living on 100 pounds per week during the Beast On The Road and World Piece tours. They indeen saw the first big chunk of money after the World Piece Tour.

P.S. I'll try to do a post about guitars on reunion albums when I get home.

Yep. Crazy to think I was on MORE money panting schools as a teenager than they were changing music history.

Looking forward to it.

Yes, it is a speculation on your part and you do draw some weird conclusions. I'd say that Rod forcing them to keep the money in-business until they make additional successful tour or two separates them from all the acts from the 1980s that burnt their money fast on cocaine and hookers. Besides, the latter half of the 1990s was highly unprofitable for them. The audiences fell down and the rather meh average attendance was kept afloat by going to new markets, who do not pay much as lost US and UK audience from the 80s. Simply put, a show in Bulgaria or Israel isn't going to pay as much as US or West Europe, per capita. The stash from the hey-day helped there, for sure.

Also check out "$25million" interview from the 1999. The band never lost control of catalogue and therefore they didn't have options for fast money back in the day, but I'll repeat, the band never lost control of the catalogue, and the whole "reunion" affair and grand productions of last 20 years were directly backed by that fact.

I have never heard badmouthing or Smallwood/Taylor team from anyone else than Paul Dianno. And he's a junkie, keep that in mind when having nostalgia trips to NWOBHM era.

I also had a blast watching your video, great tone, great playing, and welcome to the clan ;)

Thanks man! Glad you liked it! I suppose we can end the speculation. I don't want one of the few negative aspects I talked about to be the focus on my first few posts. I know he's a much loved manager by fans.

TNOTB:
Adrian:
-Guitars: Ibanez Destroyer II, used on most of the album
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop with DiMarzio Super Distortion pickup in bridge position, used for some of the album, especially the clean parts (COTD)

Dave:

That is what they used on classic albums AFAIK. +Effects. I think if you add a chorus and a tube screamer to that with a bit of reverb, you can get pretty close to H's tone. For Davey you are probably looking at a CryBaby Wah, MXR drive, a chorus, reverb and a script Phase 90 pedal.

I'll do number of the beast as it aligns with my gear better. I have all of those effects too including script logo phase 90. I can remove two power tubes and adjust the ohmage sonmy JMP acts like a 50watter. Do you know what tracks were with the Gold Top? I'm hoping number of the beast.

Thanks man! Glad you liked it! I suppose we can end the speculation. I don't want one of the few negative aspects I talked about to be the focus on my first few posts. I know he's a much loved manager by fans.

Nah dude that's why I didn't want to leave comments on YT :)

I'll do number of the beast as it aligns with my gear better. I have all of those effects too including script logo phase 90. I can remove two power tubes and adjust the ohmage sonmy JMP acts like a 50watter. Do you know what tracks were with the Gold Top? I'm hoping number of the beast.

I think the goldtop was the clean sounds (eg. COTD). H has stated many times that his goltop has a killer clean tone which I agree. It could have been used on other songs, but I'm not sure, because H said that most of the album was the Destroyer, so it's possible that the Les Paul was used for cleans, some solos and some other overdubs. Live he used the goldtop for COTD and TNOTB (except for Beast over Hammersmith), so it's possible that it was used on those 2 songs, while the rest of the album was the Destroyer.

Here are 4 song from the Palladium in 1982, H is using the Destroyer for Murders In A Rue Morgue and 22AA, and switches to the Les Paul for COTD and TNOTB.

So my final verdict is that he used the Les Paul for COTD and maybe TNOTB and recoreded the rest of the album with the Destroyer.

I can give some info on both setups
Dave's 1982 pedalboard Pete Cornish made for him (Per Pete Cornish)
> MXR Distortion+
> MXR Phase 90
> DOD Flanger 575
> Cry Baby Wah
> Yamaha AD-10 [analog delay]
> Boss FA-1 [FET preamp]
> MXR 10 Band EQ
Adrian's 1983 pedalboard
>Ibanez Digital Delay DM 2000
>Boss Digital Delay DD2
>Boss Stereo Chorus CE3
> Furman Parametric EQ PQ3
>Lexicon Reverb PCM 60
I heard a rumor they used 6550 power tubes for a cleaner/louder sound but I can't confirm it, just a rumor

I can give some info on both setups
Dave's 1982 pedalboard Pete Cornish made for him (Per Pete Cornish)
> MXR Distortion+
> MXR Phase 90
> DOD Flanger 575
> Cry Baby Wah
> Yamaha AD-10 [analog delay]
> Boss FA-1 [FET preamp]
> MXR 10 Band EQ
Adrian's 1983 pedalboard
>Ibanez Digital Delay DM 2000
>Boss Digital Delay DD2
>Boss Stereo Chorus CE3
> Furman Parametric EQ PQ3
>Lexicon Reverb PCM 60
I heard a rumor they used 6550 power tubes for a cleaner/louder sound but I can't confirm it, just a rumor

Very cool.

I was just watching a video on my next project Zakk/Ozzy and on no more tears they fired the producer because of the guitar's and brought in Iron Maiden's producer Micheal Wagner who's secret sauce was an Urei 530 graphic EQ.

Have a guesse what EQ I have? The Urei 530 EQ.

AMAZING coincidence! So I can use it on the Zakk/Ozzy track AND the Wagner/Bruce era re reaction I do in the future :)

Ok, let's try to aproximately name the gear on the reunion albums.

Brave New World:

Adrian:
Guitars:
No. 1 Sunburst Floyd Rose Classic Stratocaster (lighter around the edges, the one he got in 1996 or so): Most of the album
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop with Super Distortion in bridge: Blood Brothers
Cream HSS Stratocaster with Schaller Floyd Rose: Possibly on Brave New World, Ghost Of The Navigator, The Fallen Angel
Jackson King V: Possibly on Brave New World, Ghost Of The Navigator, The Fallen Angel
Amps:
ADA preamp into Marshall power amps.
Effects:
Considering that Kevin Shirley is producing the recent albums, most effects are likely to be added in post production, except for a Wah and Tube Screamer

Janick:
Guitars:
Black Custom Shop Replica of his '64 Stratocaster loaded with JB Jnr's
Amps:
Mike Hill customised JMP-1's into Marshall power amps, Mesa-Boogie studio preamp.
Effect:
Probably added in post production.

Dave:
Guitars:
Black Floyd Rose Classic Stratocaster with triple Hot Rails
Cream Floyd Rose Classic Stratocaster with triple Hot Rails
Amps:
JMP-1's into Marshall power amps.
Effect:
Marshall JFX.

Other albums to follow shortly.

Looks like they tried JCM800s in 1981, even though I have pictures from that tour of them with nothing but a wall of JMPs/Plexis
Maybe they gave it a whirl and didn't like it, or they rented it?

Attachments

• 10416983_722681744473875_3939964203614690836_n.jpg
    10416983_722681744473875_3939964203614690836_n.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 26
janick1.jpg

Noticed while watching the Live Chapter that Janick went back to Hot Rails in his black strat, just like in the 90's.

You mean the black body one with while outline? I meant this one

smith.jpg

Wasn't black body repainted like this one but with a bluish tone? Kinda like a predecessor to Lazer, design wise

Edit : yep, this is black

qboca-1_zps55c72869.jpg~original

I cannot find an image of Smith with blue Lado Earth. Maybe the blue Earth was sold by Lado as Adrian Smith signature, but Smith only used these two above. I knew this stuff ages ago, I forgot it.

Back